Annual STL Notes, Quotes and Billygoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual STL Notes, Quotes and Billygoats

Another year and made it back safely from STL.
    Without further delay, my unsolicited and totally biased observations from the ScottTrade Center 1st row.

Best Team - UNI. Hard to argue in any language about them. They smoked an over matched Bradley, snuffed out a spirited Loyola and stepped up and sent ISU to the NIT - where they belong.
    Worst Team - InSU. Not sure if they just didn't care or passed a pipe around the locker room before the game. Loyola came out, smacked them in the mouth and that was that.
    Even the silly blue fox said screw it after a while and didn't go out on the floor for their last time out. I'm sure they were safely back in Terre Haute before midnight.
    Best Coach - Ben J, UNI. Instead of panicking down 14 at half to ISU, they regrouped, adjusted and totally kicked the crap out of the Birds in the 2nd half.
    Worst Coach - Ray G, Drake. Bradley doesn't exactly strike fear into most opposing teams, but Drake never adjusted and went away quietly.
    Ray made some strange player moves and never attacked the rim against a weak Bradley interior defense. Weird.
    Hon Mention - Marty S, UE. Why Mock didn't even touch the ball for 6 minutes during crunch time in the 2nd half is beyond me.
    Best Player - Seth Tuttle. He is impressive on tv, even more so in person. One of those rare players that makes even average teammates look and play better. I wish some shocker low post players would pay close attention to Tuttle and his kick outs as soon as a double down approaches.
    Surprise Player - Montell James, Loyola, despite going against much taller match ups, he busts it hard every play and simply out works the competition.
    Worst Player - The whole InSU team would be qualify, but since only one can fit the bill, a tie between Chris Caird, DU and Warren Jones, BU. Neither player could make a shot in games when they were really needed.

Ok, the good stuff
    Best Cheerleaders - Tie Between BU & WSU. Both worked hard and didn't just go through the motions. Besides, BU didn't exactly have a whole lot to stir up their supporters .
    Worst Cheerleaders - Drake. They didn't send a dance team and I think they missed their traveling companions
    Best Dance Team - Hard to believe, but Loyola really did a nice job and they wore the yoga pants the right way. There is some pretty decent eye candy hanging around Chicago
    Have to mention the ISU Red Line Express disappointed again this year. Ugly uni's and some gym time is sorely needed with a significant number of the troupe
    Worst Dance Team - UE. They were only 6 members and although I'm sure they are nice girls, well, better not to say anything more. But at least they showed up, DRAKE!
    Best Band - WSU. Great horns and lots of getting after it during time outs. I enjoyed their energy
    Hon Mention - Loyola. They had some new songs and their drummer beat the hell out of his every song.
    Worst Band - Drake. Lame music and no energy. They played like their team acted.

Overall, a great time until about 4:00 Saturday. ISU and some of their tard fans have definitely replaced Creighton as the town drunks. I'm sure GORL is embarrassed by some of the crap they were yelling and doing after the game.
    We suddenly became big UNI fans about 4:30 Saturday afternoon.

Until next year...

That is all.
    Last edited by ShockRef; March 10, 2015, 11:18 PM.
    Above all, make the right call.

Nice! Yeah Chicago eye-candy ain't too shabby. Especially when they make their way out here working on their tans for Spring Break. Dolp!!! ;)
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Best Player - Seth Tuttle. He is impressive on tv, even more so in person. One of those rare players that makes even average teammates look and play better. I wish some shocker low post players would pay close attention to Tuttle and his kick outs as soon as a double down approaches.

The problem is the Shocker bigs don't exactly comand a double team to help free up our outside shooters.
      don't

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
        It was nice to meet Ref and Mrs. Ref. Kinda cool to put a face with a Shockernet moniker.
        You got that right. I missed out this year seeing them....I will not make that mistake again.

Comment

I thought Loyola's pep band and student section represented well. But with all their fans sporting those scarves and many in trench coats, it had the feeling of a few elites that went slumming. Maybe it's a Chicago thing, but their fans stood out from all the others. Not good, not bad, just weird.

Though I have a double bias here, when it comes to the pep bands, WSU is a couple of notches above all others besides Loyola. Strong, tight and great song selection. And I think they were the only band to play totally from memory. Every other band had music stands.

Bonus points to the WSU dance team for using the pep band on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            I thought Loyola's pep band and student section represented well. But with all their fans sporting those scarves and many in trench coats, it had the feeling of a few elites that went slumming. Maybe it's a Chicago thing, but their fans stood out from all the others. Not good, not bad, just weird.

Though I have a double bias here, when it comes to the pep bands, WSU is a couple of notches above all others besides Loyola. Strong, tight and great song selection. And I think they were the only band to play totally from memory. Every other band had music stands.

Bonus points to the WSU dance team for using the pep band on Friday.
            I thought the Loyola scarf thing was weird too.
            I guess it is their tradition, but does kind of give the impression of elitism. I half expected to look up and see Douglas Neidermeyer sitting with them.

The only thing more weird is the mini-shocker voodoo dolls some WSU fans keep popping up. They just look really strange.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Just remember, the 'Queen of QVC', Lori Grenier, is a Loyola of Chicago alum.

Comment

The scarf thing reminded me of Harry Potter.

Comment

The Loyola scarf thing just gives me the chance to make Harry Potter jokes for the whole weekend. Loyola students also had "Shock the Shockers" and "Beat the Wheat" signs. I think they just found a bunch of students and said "Who wants to go watch basketball? Wichita State is going to be there."

Comment

This years tournament pros and cons:

Pros: Ballpark Village was a good hangout before and after the game . The weather was good.

Cons: The friday pep rally was poor. Not much enery and didn't last very long. Seems like we could have had an assistant coach speak in Greggs place. No pep rally at all on Saturday - Why?

Comment

So you're telling me the scarf has replaced the sweater vest?

Comment

Pretty much. But I was surprised when I found out that her net worth is 'only' $75 million. And I just noticed I misspelled her name.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          I thought Loyola's pep band and student section represented well. But with all their fans sporting those scarves and many in trench coats, it had the feeling of a few elites that went slumming.

I simply didn't realize they changed their name from the Ramblers to the Gryffindors. When did that change take place? I was half expecting to see a Golden Snitch flying around the Scottrade Center.

Comment

This was my wife and I's 4th year to St Louis. I love WSU basketball, but I find out cheerleaders boring, the band uninspired playing the same recycled music, and the intro video before the team is announced just sucks the energy out of the crowd. Batwu was cheesy but at least engaging. The music and pace of the video is slow and boring. I realize this is my first post, but I really had to get those comments off my chest. It has bothered me all year.

Other than that we stayed at Union Station. Enjoyed it tremendously. We love the ballpark village area. It works very well for pregame activities.

Comment

I don't get the connection between scarves and elitism.. I would vote the Loyola students best at the tournament.
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X