No announcement yet.

Cousinard technical = bull ****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The double-standard in officiating could end if Mr. Elgin and Jim "Older than Abraham" Bain chose to do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
      Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
      Originally posted by ShockRef
      Don't slap the backboard. Period. 8)
      If that is what happened, then it is an automatic technical. You just don't do that.
      thats funny.
      i was at a butler game earlier this year.
      they were doing it like every play.
      i guess its ok in that league.
      odd.
      Unfortunately, referees decide whether or not to call it. I called it on someone once in game for going up and slapping it while trying to possibly block a shot. He smacked the crap out of it, shook the whole goal and whatnot. Just because they didn't call it at a Juco game, doesn't mean it's OK. No offense to the referees on here, but I have seen some of the guys that do Jayhawk games, and they aren't even good HS offiicals when they're doing that.
      The fact you were officiating a game that had players that could get up this high is scary. It's particularly scary because you just stated you don't know the rule.
      Here's the deal - if they are making a concerted effort to block the shot and slap the backboard, it's nothing. The fact you called it illustrates you should either hit the rule book or remain in the stands. That is all. 8)
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
        Don't slap the backboard. Period. 8)
        If that is what happened, then it is an automatic technical. You just don't do that.
        thats funny.
        i was at a butler game earlier this year.
        they were doing it like every play.
        i guess its ok in that league.
        odd.
        Unfortunately, referees decide whether or not to call it. I called it on someone once in game for going up and slapping it while trying to possibly block a shot. He smacked the crap out of it, shook the whole goal and whatnot. Just because they didn't call it at a Juco game, doesn't mean it's OK. No offense to the referees on here, but I have seen some of the guys that do Jayhawk games, and they aren't even good HS offiicals when they're doing that.
        The fact you were officiating a game that had players that could get up this high is scary. It's particularly scary because you just stated you don't know the rule.
        Here's the deal - if they are making a concerted effort to block the shot and slap the backboard, it's nothing. The fact you called it illustrates you should either hit the rule book or remain in the stands. That is all. 8)
        I couldn't garauntee that he was trying to block a shot and not move the backboard. And there are lots of HS kids that can do that. I've seen kids in Junior high that can too.

Here is what is says "Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul."

Here is what the NCAA rule book says about it found on page BR 160:
        http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf
        Art. 15. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing either the backboard or ring to vibrate while the ball is in flight during a try, or while the ball is touching the backboard, is on the basket ring, in the basket net or the cylinder.

Art. 16. Placing a hand(s) on the backboard to gain an advantage.
        In other words, it is all up to the referee on how he or she interprets the rules. But what PJ did fell into the Art. 15 part. Now for why they won't call it in the Big 12 or Big East, I don't know, but it is against the rules.

And for the hanging on the rim that was seen earlier, I believe that was during the Big East tourney, correct? He would've landed flat on his back had he not held on.

Comment

out of all the things to call in this game THAT was one they could have swallowed their whistle on.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
            out of all the things to call in this game THAT was one they could have swallowed their whistle on.
            I didn't say I agreed with the call. It was a call that could have been let go and more than likely, nothing would have been mentioned. However, the official in this case made the call and technically, he has the rule book to support him.
            We do talk a lot about preventive officiating in our pre-game meeting and... I better not go there. 8)
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

I was speaking to anybody particular. More so making a general statement.

Comment

Working...
              X