Daishon "The Nemesis" Knight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daishon "The Nemesis" Knight

It's Sunday, which isn't a true day of Lent (Ash Wednesday to Easter is 40 days not counting Sundays), so I'll allow myself one post.

Has any player since UNI's other Jacobson with his last-second three some years ago done as much to mess up the Shockers as Daishon Knight did this year?

First he missed the front end of a one-and-one in Normal to allow UNI to escape there with a one-point win on a late three. If he hits that FT and the second, as he certainly would have yesterday (by the way, IllSt was 6-11 as a team from the line against UNI that day), the Criminals-to-be* probably finish the league 12-6 and a clear third, which means their game yesterday would have been a rubber match against the UNIs, while WSU would have had a far more comfortable game against the Indiana State-Evansville winner. Then instead, facing WSU, he went off and hit everything in sight, including the go-ahead three late while the Shocks couldn't hit anything, to lead his team to the upset and sit WSU down prematurely.

Personally I don't think this is a disaster; I've been rooting for a #3 or 6 seed all along but didn't see that WSU would likely get up to #3 or fall to #6 Now they may fall to #6 after all, plus they get an extra day to recover instead of another really tough game, plus they have the motivation to avoid finishing on a two-game losing streak, which is probably all FVV and Baker and Cotton need (along with some rest, and some extra shooting time for Baker and Cotton). Yesterday also highlights the need for Carter to play smarter and avoid excessive fouling, and for Zach Brown to get more minutes.

Meanwhile, at the risk of having them totally embarrass me for saying so, I'm expecting IllSt to win today, too. They're talented enough, the have they revenge motive for the loss in Normal, and it's do-or-die for them. In fact, I've thought for the last couple of weeks they were the most likely winner of the tournament for all those reasons, although I didn't post it because of my self-imposed embargo. Even though they're obnoxious, I also HOPE they win today -- yes, really -- because doing so will validate them a little bit more. Most people already know that WSU's close loss to them wasn't a bad one, but if they finish with 22 wins (should have been 23, Daishon) including one each over both WSU and UNI, it will be even more apparent.

So win one for the Ghost of Rick Lamb, guys.

*For a number of obvious reasons, although calling them Criminals isn't unique: Yuma (Arizona) High School's teams are officially known as the Criminals.

more zach brown please.

Comment

Daishon is better at basketball than smacking women.

If the birds win it all they went through two very tough teams to do it and deserve their seat at the dance.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        I don't think he missed any games for that either.
        The Assman

Comment

If the birds win it all they went through two very tough teams to do it and deserve their seat at the dance.
          Yes.

They will be remembered just like 2011 St. Bonaventure. Anybody remember them?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I understand your point and it is a good and valid one.

I have always disliked the rule that the winner of a postseason, conference tournament receives an automatic bid to th Big Dance.

Other than generating revenue for the conference, it has never made sense to me.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              I understand your point and it is a good and valid one.

I have always disliked the rule that the winner of a postseason, conference tournament receives an automatic bid to th Big Dance.

Other than generating revenue for the conference, it has never made sense to me.
              Tournaments are fun and exciting; I've always enjoyed going and hanging with friends and family.

I agree, winning the regular season is much more impressive feat and a truer indicator at who the best team is.

However, a team that has had injuries or starts to gel late, have a shot to prove they "belong" too by winning the conference.

Maybe they can find a way to get all the regular season and tourney champs into the dance.
              The Assman

Comment

Illinois state is done

Comment

It sucks and is not fair but conference tournaments are not going away, which means that the auto bid will always go to tournament champion. It's absolutely because of money. How many of us would have gone to STL in 2010 when we had no hope of an at-large if the auto bid didn't go to tournament winner? You'd have some diehards but not many.

The only way to include both regular season and tournament champions would be to expand the field. You'd also have to guarantee two teams for every conference. A league would obviously have incentive to make sure regular season champion doesn't win. That's when shady officiating can happen.

I agree though...it sucks. I wouldn't want to be a Murray State person this week.
                  78-65

Comment

Now Knight can be a nemesis in the CBI.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Now Knight can be a nemesis in the CBI.
                      More likely the NIT.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        More likely the NIT.
                        Both irrelevant.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Both irrelevant.
                          It wasn't that long ago that we were celebrating an NIT championship, which was a big building block that helped the program get to where we are today.

Comment

They will be remembered just like 2011 St. Bonaventure. Anybody remember them?
                            LMAO!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
                              It wasn't that long ago that we were celebrating an NIT championship, which was a big building block that helped the program get to where we are today.
                              That's true. But it doesn't shake the fact that it is an irrelevant tournament.

Wake me up if they actually win the CBI/NIT/whatever thingy they're gonna play in.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X