Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could build a new wichita state anywhere in the city where would you build it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could build a new wichita state anywhere in the city where would you build it?

Obviously this is a hypothetical question I like to imagine happening.

Lets say the bill gates of wichita has billions of dollars and wants to build a new location for the whole university in the city of wichita.

I thought it would be cool to move century II, the hyatt, the waterwalk and build the whole campus along the river and near downtown.

Obviously the history and such of the current campus would be lost, but building a campus along the river and near downtown sounds like it would be a pretty cool thing.

Obviously this is all a pipe dream of mine :) (and I would bring football back and imagine ECK stadium with the downtown buildings and the river in the background.

As some will mention, it would cost a ton of cash to do all of that, but who says you can't dream.

Right next to Flint Hills National Golf Club. Golf, tennis and x-country teams have access to FNGC grounds and facilities.

Edit: technically that's not in the city of wichita, but still in the metro area.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
      Right next to Flint Hills National Golf Club. Golf, tennis and x-country teams have access to FNGC grounds and facilities.

Edit: technically that's not in the city of wichita, but still in the metro area.
      But WSU is a state, so that works
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        But WSU is a state, so that works
        i see what you did there...

Comment

Well I've moved away from riverside to the east side so now that I'm a snobby east sider I would say move it to the 21st and K-96 area.

Actually it is just fine where it is. The university just needs to be a little more expansion oriented and start buying and property around the university.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
            Well I've moved away from riverside to the east side so now that I'm a snobby east sider I would say move it to the 21st and K-96 area.

Actually it is just fine where it is. The university just needs to be a little more expansion oriented and start buying and property around the university.
            Right now they have plenty of land available from the former Braeburn Golf Course. That should hold them for a couple of decades.

Comment

South side anyone? LOL just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Right now they have plenty of land available from the former Braeburn Golf Course. That should hold them for a couple of decades.
                If they want to grow attendance at the university the areas around the university need gentrification and they have needed it since the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                  South side anyone? LOL just kidding
                  Joyland? BMAC? LOL
                  Last edited by shockrah; February 23, 2015, 11:12 PM.
                  Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                    If they want to grow attendance at the university the areas around the university need gentrification and they have needed it since the 90s.
                    At this point they are counting on private developers to take care of that. I know that a lot of the land on the south side of 17th street has changed hands in recent years.

For example Varsity Manor was purchased and totally remodeld and refurbished. It is now called Seventeen60 Apartments.

Looking for a place close to Wichita State University? Nothing beats new, as in brand new, apartments for rent. View our available units now!

Whether that will actually take hold and spread as the Innovation Campus grows remains to be seen, but I believe that is the hope.

Comment

I think the university would benefit greatly benefit through the purchase of property near campus. With more people parking off campus, some students complain about not feeling safe while walking to their vehicles from night classes. The easy fix would be to purchase a parking pass, but most students prioritize a $160 parking pass quite a ways below eight 30 packs of natty light. In my opinion it would help give the students more peace of mind. Of course, a priority change should be in order for some students; but purchasing land around campus gives the university a chance to build, generate revenue, and create an atmosphere much more pleasing to the eye in surrounding areas. Just my opinion.
                      Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post
                        I think the university would benefit greatly benefit through the purchase of property near campus. With more people parking off campus, some students complain about not feeling safe while walking to their vehicles from night classes. The easy fix would be to purchase a parking pass, but most students prioritize a $160 parking pass quite a ways below eight 30 packs of natty light. In my opinion it would help give the students more peace of mind. Of course, a priority change should be in order for some students; but purchasing land around campus gives the university a chance to build, generate revenue, and create an atmosphere much more pleasing to the eye in surrounding areas. Just my opinion.
                        It will happen. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          At this point they are counting on private developers to take care of that. I know that a lot of the land on the south side of 17th street has changed hands in recent years.

For example Varsity Manor was purchased and totally remodeld and refurbished. It is now called Seventeen60 Apartments.

Looking for a place close to Wichita State University? Nothing beats new, as in brand new, apartments for rent. View our available units now!

Whether that will actually take hold and spread as the Innovation Campus grows remains to be seen, but I believe that is the hope.
                          I've heard developers have been buying up a ton of stuff south of 17th Street in recent years. The way I heard it made it sound like the land would be put to great use.

Comment

Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post
                            The publicly released plan included 3 or 4 on-campus parking garages. Of course, how much safer students would feel in a parking garage I can't say. I suppose if depends on what security measures are incorporated.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                              I've heard developers have been buying up a ton of stuff south of 17th Street in recent years. The way I heard it made it sound like the land would be put to great use.
                              Who knows. Maybe they were just hoping to flip it to WSU at a profit. If they are going to develop the property they will probably wait until they see how the innovation campus develops. But I think you are correct. There has been a lot of property that has changed hands on the South side of 17th Street. Time will tell I suppose. I think the University has it's financial plate more than full with Dr. Bardo's on-campus development plans and is willling to leave the off-compus development to the private sector. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X