What Happens with Newbies???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happens with Newbies???

Kinda straying away from recent topics here but have been thinking about this for a few weeks now...

In the limited playing time we've seen this year from the newbies... I "think" my observations this season are leading me to believe that they are slightly-to-somewhat more athletic than our upperclassmen. Definitely not as savvy and mature as Fred, Ron, Cotton and Carter but rather more of a higher ceiling athletically (possibly).

Watching Kelly, Brown, Morris, Henderson (again in limited action) each one of those guys looks very gifted athletically. Haven't really seen anything yet that gets me to go "Oh my god that guy is awesome!"...but that's simply because most of the time they play clueless, timid and well....like Freshmen. Lol :)

But...if Gregg is able to mold these guys athleticism into the smart, savvy and mature type players ala our upperclassmen in the course of their careers...what's everyone's opinions as to what we will look like come next year and into the 2016-17 season??? Are we gonna hover around in the Top-25??? Fall back some??? Or be even MORE powerful with the added athleticism???

Disclaimer ~ This is not a knock at ALL on our upperclassmen guys. They are all studs!!! It's just an observation I've had where it seems a lot of the younger guys may be a bit more athletic.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Morris is a stud, but we need to get his endurance up to 25 min per game.

Kelly will be a real factor in Jr. and Sr. years, if not next year.

Browns intrigues me. Has the shot and defensive length to be really awesome.

Henderson I'm not sold on, yet. He must have the gren light to shoot, because he doesn't seem to get pulled for taking an early three.

With Kelly, Brown, Baker, Wessel and VanVleet outside to complement Morris, Onurger and BushW, I think we'll be a top team again next year. We can bring next year's newbies on slowly.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I think Glass will do some things next year. Not yet sold on Nurger or BWam.

Comment

Morris - I think he has seen the light and will not struggle with conditioning work this coming off season. I think he's going to have the "I wanna" factor he has been missing. Next year, potentially better than Carter is this year.

Kelly - Athletically, he's a monster. I think he's got the handles to someday dribble down the court after a steal. Also has the handles to drive from the perimeter. Strikes me as a player who got to this point on athleticism, rather than on BBIQ, basketball skillset, and basic understanding of the game. Looks to need some advancement in those areas. Potential is possibly the highest of all Fr.

Brown - Just needs some court time. I was expecting better than what I've seen based on his HS hype and his year at Sunrise. Tough to break into a backcourt like the Shox have. Even when he gets on the floor, the intimidation factor has to be huge. Tough to call his own number instead of deferring to the AA's on the floor.

Henderson - I like his game, but is he actually a PG or a "combo" who "can play" PG?

Holland - Doesn't look like he's developing PG skills. He's fun to watch, plays some decent D, and works hard, but he's a 6' SG If he has to defend a 6'3" or 6'4" guy, there's the danger of them just shooting over him. Leaping ability doesn't make up for a height difference like that when the defender is reacting.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Shaq as a freshman has moments. Shaq as a senior is going to be SCARY!

Brown and Kelly remind me of David Kyles as a freshman. They do some things really well, but the game moves too fast for them. Hopefully it slows down.

Henderson and Nurger both do some things well, but are awful at others. They need to shore some of that up sooner rather than later.

Glass, BWam, and Holland all have some potential and some huge shortcomings. They all work really hard and are coachable. Hopefully that works out for them.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Next year we need someone other than Morris and Kelly to step up in the paint. Lots of guys with eligibility left need to grow. Small Forwards; Wessel, Brown, and maybe McDuffie can help fill the PF role as needed, but we need some posts. Glass and Hamilton are both power forwards, but along with Kelly, they could be forced into the 5.

Assuming FVV, Baker, and Wessel start in the backcourt, I'm not concerned about the potential back-ups. Henderson, Taylor, Frankamp, Holland, Shamet, Brown, and McDuffie are too talented as a group to not have one or two really blossom.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
            X