Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Became a Shocker Fan....

...during which era?

A long time ago on a ShockerNet far, far away, most posters dated back to at least the elder Smithson or Fogler days. The bandwagon was lean during the 90s, but picked up steam again during the Turgeon years and is now jam-packed under HCGM. It would be interesting to see when our beloved Shocks became #1 in your basketball hearts. Valentine's Day is approaching, after all.

Stories and anecdotes are welcome and encouraged. Did you grow up in a Shocker household? Marry into one? Move to Wichita and start rooting for the local team? Start rooting for WSU when you arrived there for school? Did a particular team or player make you see the light? Maybe you started as a fan of another sport (baseball, for instance) and became hooked on the hoops team later on?

Let's hear it, SN.
    Marshall Era
    1.72%
    Turgeon Era
    19.54%
    Smithson (the younger) Era
    6.90%
    S. Thompson Era
    5.17%
    Cohen Era
    4.60%
    Fogler Era
    6.32%
    Smithson (the elder) Era
    20.69%
    H. Miller Era
    10.34%
    G. Thompson Era
    8.05%
    R. Miller Era
    16.67%
    Earlier
    0.00%

I voted for the Eddie Fogler era, but I could have chosen between than or Mike Cohen, as I was just starting to watch a lot of basketball on tv around the late 80's. I remember some of those classic Wichita St.-Tulsa MVC games on CBS. Seems to me I recall one year they played in the MVC Championship game and I remember Tulsa laying a whooping stick on the Shox. So I've struggled as a fan through the Scott Thompson/Randy Smithson era, and I'm still here, don't plan to go anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

Cohen.

Don't judge me.

Comment

Grew up a Shocker fan and this sounds real old timey,but used to listen to games on the radio in the Miller era. Loved Cheese,Bruton, Elmore, Lang and those guys. I remember Wild Bill Lang just stepping ona guy's chest after he had fallen and Bill was headed back to play defense.When I played in grade school, we tried to snag rebounds like Cheese, slappingthe ball with the second hand. Attended WSU in the early 80's and best memoriesare of New Orleans, Papke shot to beat Tulsa and AC's 47 point finale.

Was it Radunavich who pulled the hidden ball trick? Also remember when ourroster was so depleted, we had two Shocker football players walk on andactually get playing time.

Season ticket holder during some of the darker days and I remember Randy's firstyear in his very first valley game - can't remember who we played but we had a1 point lead with 2 seconds left and fouled them. The crowd was so loud duringthe two FT attempts (both misses) that I am convinced WE won the game for theShocks. Also loved the game Jason Perez hit a three at the buzzer to win it andjust kept running right into the player's tunnel, ala Bo Jackson.

I'm probably one of the 10 or so Shocker fans that made the road trip toCasper, WY in 2006. I try to go to the Lou every year, made it to LA andwouldn't have missed Atlanta for the world.

Comment

Thanks to my dad I was born and raised a shocker fan. The first games I can remember going to were Thompson era but I was too young to really know how bad it was. Got a taste of my heightened expectations and let down during the Smithson 2 era.

Comment

Became a fan when I became a Shocker. 1992.

Comment

Full-fledged was when I started going to school here. 2008. Before that, I casually cheered for the Shocks.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Turgeon era. In fourth grade I was lucky enough to get Paul Miller as my Pinpal. This was a year or two before the sweet 16 run. I started rooting for them then. I still have all the letters somewhere. Paul actually came into my bar a couple years back and we had a pretty good conversation. He actually remembered me. It was a pretty neat moment

Comment

Who the hell picked the Cohen or Scott Thompson eras?

Smart asses...

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                    Turgeon era. In fourth grade I was lucky enough to get Paul Miller as my Pinpal. This was a year or two before the sweet 16 run. I started rooting for them then. I still have all the letters somewhere. Paul actually came into my bar a couple years back and we had a pretty good conversation. He actually remembered me. It was a pretty neat moment
                    Pat Magness was my pen pal, good stuff

On the poll: around 1996, dad started talking me to WSU baseball games, which led me to root for all things WSU.
                    Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I was in 6th grade when Xavier and Aubrey were signing autographs and taking pictures at Towne East.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                          I was in 6th grade when Xavier and Aubrey were signing autographs and taking pictures at Towne East.
                          That's a fun anecdote. But when, if ever, did you become a fan? :suspicion:

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            Who the hell picked the Cohen or Scott Thompson eras?

Smart asses...
                            :)

I remember the Fogler years, but I didn't really become a fan until Cohen's first season. Talk about getting into the market at the worst possible moment.

I watched a lot of Shocker Channel replays in those days featuring a total variety of three different commercials, one of which was that poor fella getting hit by a car and rolling onto the hood. I am sure it was for an insurance agent or attorney but I do not completely recall.

Man, we sure did suck back then.

Comment

I started to pay attention in Randy's time, but I fell in love with Shocker Basketball during the Turgeon era.
                              78-65

Comment

Working...
                              X