23 games in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 games in

20 - 3. Great job HCGM after losing a tremendous frontline from last season !
    Yes, we are struggling right now but I believe its because of three things.
    First, GM is forced to try and find replacements for last years frontline. Second,
    except for SM none of the newcomers have stepped up to the challenge despite
    our veterans doing everything they can to incorporate them into the offense, and
    third, GM just wasn't able to recruit a true center forcing EW to play PF. I think
    if GM either wins the league title or the MVC tournament he has done a good job.
    If he gets to the final 32 is been a good season for the team. ANYTHING after
    that would be icing on the cake

Yes, the players and coaches have done a tremendous job this season so far! I'm happy to see their continued success. I'm anticipating a Regular Season Crown, Conference Tourney Crown, and an unforgettable run in the NCAA Tourney! Oh and an Evan Wessel dunk just for the fun of it!

We should make this the top thread on this forum!!!!

GO SHOX!
    "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

20-3 is an awesome win/loss total. As a fan base, we have become very spoiled from the last 4 years of success.

This team and fan base are in a slight funk right now. But there is alot of season left to play. I guess the brightest thing to consider is that WSU is currently ranked in the top 20, has a record or 20-3 and is no where near their ceiling...
      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Talent wise, this team may not be as good overall than any of the last four teams. However, the NIT Chsmpionship team should have been good enough to make a deep run in the NCAA. The team the next year also didn't hit their ceiling. This team is more likely to hit their ceiling imo. As GM says, you can't make trades.

Comment

Agreed, I don't think this years team has played up to their potential yet. A lot of inconsistencies, but all teams go through that. I agree that losing Cle hurt this team more than originally thought. I'll take 20-3, I'm a little worried that the 3 losses have been to what is probably the 3 toughest opponents so far this season, but I'm excited about the future. This freshman class, at some point, will figure it out and start playing basketball. Some already have in spurts, some haven't yet. I have no doubt that HCGM has this team in position to be a top 20 team for the considerable future.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
            Agreed, I don't think this years team has played up to their potential yet. A lot of inconsistencies, but all teams go through that. I agree that losing Cle hurt this team more than originally thought. I'll take 20-3, I'm a little worried that the 3 losses have been to what is probably the 3 toughest opponents so far this season, but I'm excited about the future. This freshman class, at some point, will figure it out and start playing basketball. Some already have in spurts, some haven't yet. I have no doubt that HCGM has this team in position to be a top 20 team for the considerable future.
            Look what happened to Gonzaga? They were top 5, then disappeared to Top 20-30, and now they are back to Top 5-10 again.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              Look what happened to Gonzaga? They were top 5, then disappeared to Top 20-30, and now they are back to Top 5-10 again.
              If this is disappearing, is there somewhere I can sign up right now, no questions asked, for the longest possible contract?

Comment

I think that when we look back at this season the one thing that will stick out is 3Gs inability to settle on a post rotation. At this point in the season he clearly still does not know which guys there he wants to play. I also believe that we should have gone to two true post players much earlier. Playing DC at the 5 when he is a 4 is a glaring weakness of this team and would love to see this team move to a rotation that includes Shaq and Darius playing more together and Bush as the primary backup at those two spots. Kelly could serve as an emergency post player in case of foul trouble. Many of our freshman have promise, but are not ready for primetime.

As much as I like Evan and his work ethic, asking him to guard as an undersized four is a lot to ask and frankly Evan has not developed offensively and teams play us 5 on 4 when he is playing. This makes it much more difficult for DC, Ron, Fred, Tekele to get open looks when other teams can play a one man zone or use Evan's defender to double.

My .02C, beat me up if you wish, but this coaching staff should have made changes earlier and I really think that this team will not reach its ceiling unless some drastic changes are made over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

My tongue was inserted in my cheek. :)

Comment

I feel ok about the season so far to this point. We have a fine record and should get an ok seed in the tourney. I really wish we had a good steady frontcourt to go with our backcourt. I'm not expecting is to go very far in the tourney to tell you the truth. We don't have great record against good teams this year. To me this year is all about developing the frontcourt for next year when ron, Fred, and evan are seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Heiny View Post
                      I think that when we look back at this season the one thing that will stick out is 3Gs inability to settle on a post rotation. At this point in the season he clearly still does not know which guys there he wants to play. I also believe that we should have gone to two true post players much earlier. Playing DC at the 5 when he is a 4 is a glaring weakness of this team and would love to see this team move to a rotation that includes Shaq and Darius playing more together and Bush as the primary backup at those two spots. Kelly could serve as an emergency post player in case of foul trouble. Many of our freshman have promise, but are not ready for primetime.

As much as I like Evan and his work ethic, asking him to guard as an undersized four is a lot to ask and frankly Evan has not developed offensively and teams play us 5 on 4 when he is playing. This makes it much more difficult for DC, Ron, Fred, Tekele to get open looks when other teams can play a one man zone or use Evan's defender to double.

My .02C, beat me up if you wish, but this coaching staff should have made changes earlier and I really think that this team will not reach its ceiling unless some drastic changes are made over the next couple of weeks.
                      The reason is obvious to me that after you get past DC and Shaq, the talent level drops off sharply. He is hoping to get someone to play with a hot hand and is willing to try whoever it takes. This goes along with Tevin also. Consistency is a problem, and probably continues into practice. We are getting effort but not consistency of focus and doing the little things. Evan still does the little things but is often challenged by size and offensive shooting ability.

Comment

Like I have said in past - enjoy the ride! I slept well last night, did you? :) GO SHOX!

Comment

The problem is, and I'm not sure if more people will agree or disagree, but it's hard to set a rotation when there is so much inconsistency in the post game. I can't say that other than DC (and even he has had some games where he seems to have not been there mentally), there isn't another post player that has given this team good, consistent minutes. Shaq is the closest, but he's not there yet. Right now I think it's trial and error for HCGM. Granted, it's hard to replace a guy like Cle, but I think at this point, a lot of us would have expected more from the freshmen.

Comment

I will agree that consistency is an issue with our post guys. Although, I would also argue that you have to allow for development. I don't think our guys in the post have any real idea (other than Shaq and DC) whether they are playing and how much. Tough to develop any confidence when you are looking over your shoulder constantly wondering if you are going to get pulled every time you make a mistake. Bush to me is the guy on this team in the post with the highest ceiling. He has attributes you just can't teach, plus I really think he is the best defender of the lot, but last night he plays zero minutes in the first half, starts the second, gets a steal-dunk, and then goes out never to return.

We have had the luxury of a good post rotation since 3Gs early days, but don't have that luxury this year. I just think that at some point 3G needed to pick a guy or two and stick with them.

Comment

I will agree that consistency is an issue with our post guys. Although, I would also argue that you have to allow for development. I don't think our guys in the post have any real idea (other than Shaq and DC) whether they are playing and how much. Tough to develop any confidence when you are looking over your shoulder constantly wondering if you are going to get pulled every time you make a mistake. Bush to me is the guy on this team in the post with the highest ceiling. He has attributes you just can't teach, plus I really think he is the best defender of the lot, but last night he plays zero minutes in the first half, starts the second, gets a steal-dunk, and then goes out never to return.

We have had the luxury of a good post rotation since 3Gs early days, but don't have that luxury this year. I just think that at some point 3G needed to pick a guy or two and stick with them.
                              You may be right but I've heard that GM has such high expectations during practice with accountability demands that they are auditioning everyday. I would imagine that Bush W and Rauno are playing against each other daily. That may be what we don't see.

Comment

Working...
                              X