Educating the Masses - ESPN Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educating the Masses - ESPN Style

From time to time I like to check the ESPN boards...and from time to time I don't mind educating a few of the foolish that come on the board to specifically bag on my beloved Shockers. Here's a recent one I think some of you may like. :)

AZ Shocker - So Kentucky is #1 in ALL the polls and almost lost to UNRANKED Ole Miss at HOME?????? WHAT??????? This is Ole Miss we're talking about here who has lost to Dayton, TCU, Western Kentucky and Charleston Southern. Strange how CONFERENCE play and being EVERYONE'S Super Bowl has that affect. Huh...had no idea how those type of things can happen. All the while Wichita St. is 4-1 against the SEC the last two regular seasons. Lol

AZ Shocker - For all you gamblers out there reading the Vegas lines...go a little deeper in your point spreads and consider "other" factors that most betters don't. ;)

Someone Else - Good point Brent (AZ Shocker). It's nice to hear someone talk who pays attention and has some logic to back their opinions.

SEC Fan Nick Chronis - WSU is 4-1 vs the SEC in the last 2 regular seasons? Can you post those 5 games on here? No you can't, because that stat is incorrect. Also, I don't understand why you wouldn't include postseason games when claiming such dominance over a particular conference? One more thing, playing regular season games against a total of 2 different SEC teams over the last 3 seasons doesn't exactly prove dominance over entire conference. Just sayin...

AZ Shocker - Nick Chronis - my bad...I had Southern Miss for some dumb reason as an SEC school in which the Shockers also beat. Anyways...take them out and Wichita St. is only 3-1 against the SEC the last couple regular seasons. Correction noted. BTW...no one said "dominance" over the SEC but for the heck of it I went all the way back to the '05-'06 season when Wichita got back on the national map and went to a Sweet-16 that year. Since that time ('05-'06)...I found the Shockers do hold a 8-3 record against the SEC in that time frame (including post season). Please have a look-see.

'05-'06 Wichita St. beat #2 Seed Tennessee in NCAA Tournament / 1-0
    '06-'07 Wichita St. beat #6 LSU at LSU / 2-0
    '07-'08 Wichita St. beat LSU by 20 points in Wichita / 3-0
    '10-'11 Wichita St. beat LSU in Louisiana / 4-0
    '10-'11 Wichita St. beat Alabama in the NIT Championship Game / 5-0
    '11-'12 Wichita St. lost to #16 Alabama in Puerto Rico / 5-1
    '12-'13 Wichita St. lost at Tennessee / 5-2
    '13-'14 Wichita St. beat Tennessee in Wichita / 6-2
    '13-'14 Wichita St. beat at Alabama / 7-2
    '13-'14 Wichita St. lost to National Runner-Up Kentucky / 7-3
    '14-'15 Wichita St. beat Alabama / 8-3

So the Shockers are 8-3 both regular and postseason since the 2005 season. 8 and 3. Not TOTAL domination...but you were saying...
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

That's also 3 homes out of 11 total. A % that even the most diehard UK fan couldn't understand in a month of Sundays.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
      '05-'06 Wichita St. beat #2 Seed Tennessee in NCAA Tournament / 1-0
      '06-'07 Wichita St. beat #6 LSU at LSU / 2-0
      '07-'08 Wichita St. beat LSU by 20 points in Wichita / 3-0
      '10-'11 Wichita St. beat LSU in Louisiana / 4-0
      '10-'11 Wichita St. beat Alabama in the NIT Championship Game / 5-0
      '11-'12 Wichita St. lost to #16 Alabama in Puerto Rico / 5-1
      '12-'13 Wichita St. lost at Tennessee / 5-2
      '13-'14 Wichita St. beat Tennessee in Wichita / 6-2
      '13-'14 Wichita St. beat at Alabama / 7-2
      '13-'14 Wichita St. lost to National Runner-Up Kentucky / 7-3
      '14-'15 Wichita St. beat Alabama / 8-3

So the Shockers are 8-3 both regular and postseason since the 2005 season. 8 and 3. Not TOTAL domination...but you were saying...
      Good research. Some of those SEC teams were real cellar dwellers, but some were pretty good as well. Overall, those 11 games were a reasonable sampling of what the SEC has had to offer this past decade, and yes, as Doc points out, most of those games were played outside of Wichita.

I do have one gripe. Please, please, please don't encourage the use of referencing ranks at the time a game was played. "#6 LSU" is extremely misleading. That ranking was purely based on the pre-season rank. That team eventually finished 5-11 in the SEC.

It is kind like the reverse of saying that WSU lost to #25 Utah. WSU lost to a top 10 team that night and anyone referencing Utah as #25 isn't giving the Shox enough credit for the difficulty of that game. The ranking of #25 at the time isn't really significant anymore.

Calling LSU "#6 LSU" is a technicality that actually gives a misleading appearance of being a super high quality win.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        Good research. Some of those SEC teams were real cellar dwellers, but some were pretty good as well. Overall, those 11 games were a reasonable sampling of what the SEC has had to offer this past decade, and yes, as Doc points out, most of those games were played outside of Wichita.

I do have one gripe. Please, please, please don't encourage the use of referencing ranks at the time a game was played. "#6 LSU" is extremely misleading. That ranking was purely based on the pre-season rank. That team eventually finished 5-11 in the SEC.

It is kind like the reverse of saying that WSU lost to #25 Utah. WSU lost to a top 10 team that night and anyone referencing Utah as #25 isn't giving the Shox enough credit for the difficulty of that game. The ranking of #25 at the time isn't really significant anymore.

Calling LSU "#6 LSU" is a technicality that actually gives a misleading appearance of being a super high quality win.
        I agree with you 100%. And obviously in this case, Kentucky was referred to as national runner up and not "8-seed Kentucky" the way Tennessee was referred to as 2-seed Tennessee.

That said, for whatever reason, it seems like the media really buys into the ranking at the time of the match-up. On the GoShockers website, the schedule now includes a column for opponent's rank at the time of the match-up. ESPN's schedules online all have ranking at the time of the match-up. Why on earth is this the case? Beating a bad "Number 6" team before anyone finds out they are bad is less impressive than beating a team that is unranked but eventually becomes a top ten team.

Comment

Agreed. Last year I got sick and tired of arguing with morons who insisted that we had beaten a ranked opponent just because St Louis wasn't ranked at the time that we played them.

Comment

I hear what you're saying Jamar...and I thought about that before posting on the ESPN site...but when fact checking the schedule on ESPN's site...they do list LSU #6 at the time we played them. So for that reason I showed it. Also...a lot of posters over there will use a "ranking" on the time they played so-and-so. As an example...they will ***** that Wichita St. hasn't beaten a ranked opponent "at the time" we played them (Seton Hall???) but then when that team gets ranked later in the season (Seton Hall) they do not like to give the Shocks credit for the win. Yes LSU tanked that season...but at the time they were #6 and we beat them at their place. So for that reason...I showed it.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
              Agreed. Last year I got sick and tired of arguing with morons who insisted that we had beaten a ranked opponent just because St Louis wasn't ranked at the time that we played them.
              Oh, so you spent too much time around beaker t-shirt fans last year too? A group of Rhodes Scholars no doubt.

Comment

Here was another I posted on ESPN before the Seton Hall game. Got a the sheep to "shut up"!!! Lol

AZ Shocker - I know the Shockers take some crap for their Missouri Valley Conference schedule....but if college basketball fans actually "looked" with their EYES and know anything about college basketball...they would see that the Shocker program is doing their best the past 5-7 years to schedule up their out-of-conference schedule. Outside of about 3-6 blue-blood programs (Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, etc) whom the Shockers would love to schedule but have so far been unsuccessful in getting those games...no other program would ***** if they had a similar OOC the Shockers have had the last 4-6 years. I mean...most fans of whichever college team they follow would NOT be upset about playing Memphis, Alabama, Utah, VCU, San Diego St., UCONN, Virginia, Tennessee, UNLV, Iowa, LSU, New Mexico St., BYU, and Temple in their ooc schedule. For instance...and this is more of a question to Seton Hall fans...Would Pirate fans be upset playing those above mentioned teams in their OOC????? If the answer is no...well...that's just what the Shockers have done.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  Oh, so you spent too much time around beaker t-shirt fans last year too? A group of Rhodes Scholars no doubt.
                  Primarily a couple of beakers, a Louisville fan and a Duke fan. The Louisville fan was worse than the beakers combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
                    The Louisville fan was worse than the beakers combined.
                    No shock there....

Comment

Working...
                    X