Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know it's very early, but after two league games....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's very early, but after two league games....

.....what are the major surprises or reaffirmations to you?
    I have several:
    -SIU may be worse than I thought they would be
    -Illinois State, like it or not, could be a major force in the league in the next 2-3 years
    -MAYBE the league is better than originally thought...Mitch Holthus certainly thought so.
    -I continue to love the iDEA of what our young players will be...

I don't know where all the hate comes from towards valley opponents. I think the
    league IS a little better than most expected, at least the upper half. Illinois State
    was good defensively, on the glass, and pretty athletic. Looks like MSU, UNI, EU
    and Indiana St are decent, as well. This is very GOOD for us and the league. We
    NEED the competition to prepare for post season.

Comment

Versus my pre-season expectations -

Affirmed:

WSU is still the class
      UNI, UE, ISUr are talented teams

Surprised:

WSU could finish 2nd
      Loyola is decent
      Evan is our best PF
      FVV can actually have an unforced turnover.
      Livin the dream

Comment

I think what hurt the league was early losses while many adjusted to losing key players.

Comment

I was thinking similar things watching the game yesterday. This may be a bit egotistical but I think we are making the league better. We embarrassed teams last year. Now imagine you're a coach at another Valley school and you're watching the tape of last year's games. I know I'd be ticked off watching my guys get outworked every possession. I'd be pushing my team to be more like the Shockers, and in every game, not just the rematches. Last night I saw an ISUr team that worked as hard as we did, and it wasn't because we played down to them. I loved seeing that, even though it meant a closer game and over the course of the season will probably mean a couple losses.
          We may not be quite as good as last year, but if we drop a few games in conference it'll have as much to do with others playing better, and I'm ok with that. (not the losing, but the reasons for it).

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
            I think what hurt the league was early losses while many adjusted to losing key players.
            I agree...

One thing that Mitch and Adams said yesterday that took me aback, and I'm not sure I agree with, is that ISUr has the best talent in the league...did I hear that right?

Comment

I think top to bottom, the conference is in a much better place basketball wise as it was even a month ago. Granted, WSU hasn't played their best basketball in conference play yet, and there is still a lot of inconsistencies among the Valley. I still think it is Wichita Sts conference race to lose, and admittedly, maybe I had UNI ranked too high, as I thought it would be a 2 horse race between them and WSU. But after Evansville beat UNI, now I'm not so sure.

I really don't like seeing SIU at 0-2 in the conference though. I will root for a Barry Hinson coached team any chance I get, and I want SIU to do well.

One thing seems to be for certain, there isn't a Valley game this season that looks like it is going to be a gimme. At least not yet.

Comment

Surprised:

It seems no team is afraid or fears us, as a team.
                Evan Wessel's importance to this team
                How poorly we are executing our half court sets
                That we haven't found more consistency amongst our RS Frosh and True Frosh
                How many passes and shots Fred had tipped, stolen or blocked.

Reaffirmed

Darius cannot get into foul trouble
                Cotton is a model on how to play the game the right way.
                No one will ever outwork Evan Wessel
                Baker plays better D than most realize.
                Shaq, when his head is out in the open, not crammed up some place ... Could be a vital cog for our front court, for the next few yrs
                Last edited by small tyme baller; January 5, 2015, 11:41 AM.
                Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                  I agree...

One thing that Mitch and Adams said yesterday that took me aback, and I'm not sure I agree with, is that ISUr has the best talent in the league...did I hear that right?
                  I don't know what the Valley pays Adams, but it ain't enough considering the things he says about the league. He regularly compares average Valley players to NBA Hall of Famers.

That being said, I've met Adams before and he's a super nice guy. Just a little over-the-top with some of his analogies.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Around the Valley ... Surprised by Loyola, ISU blue, Mo State

Reaffirmed, how good UNI & ISU red are and how bad Drake & BU are.

Comment

Please explain to me why you feel compelled to bash one of our TEAM members, JRS,
                      when he has not even played lately? That was a "small time" dig out of nowhere
                      Last edited by asiseeit; January 5, 2015, 10:26 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        Please explain to me why you feel compelled to bash one of our TEAM members, JRS,
                        when he has not even played lately? You are "small time" as far as I am concerned
                        Not sure why anyone would bash a walk on regardless of how much he's played lately. He puts in the time and effort like the scholarship guys without the benefits like free school, playing time, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                          when he has not even played lately? That was a "small time" dig out of nowhere
                          You spelled "tyme" wrong and it was a joke. Also, if u think that was bashing, sit in on a team prac or film sesh, eye opening experience.

I know JRS personally so I'm okay with what I wrote. And without getting a few ppl in trouble, JRS has a nickname around the Koch Arena front offices and staffers that follows along the theme I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by DCShockerFan05 View Post
                            I was thinking similar things watching the game yesterday. This may be a bit egotistical but I think we are making the league better. We embarrassed teams last year. Now imagine you're a coach at another Valley school and you're watching the tape of last year's games. I know I'd be ticked off watching my guys get outworked every possession. I'd be pushing my team to be more like the Shockers, and in every game, not just the rematches. Last night I saw an ISUr team that worked as hard as we did, and it wasn't because we played down to them. I loved seeing that, even though it meant a closer game and over the course of the season will probably mean a couple losses.
                            We may not be quite as good as last year, but if we drop a few games in conference it'll have as much to do with others playing better, and I'm ok with that. (not the losing, but the reasons for it).
                            Totally agree with this. 3G has raised the bar for the rest of the Valley and yesterday's game was a sure sign of it. Good grief, out-rebounded in our own house! Out-played and out-hustled at times as well. ISU came into CKA yesterday with its own chip-on-the-shoulder and nearly pulled off a miracle win. While it makes for some real exciting games that many of us would probably prefer were blow-outs, I think the competition we'll see this year in Valley play will only make us better come March.

Strap in folks, it's going to be an interesting conference season!

Comment

I think other than any freshman, the league is a year older and a year wiser. Our five regular starters have all played against the other teams in the conference and in their arenas, and so know what to expect. The main guys coming off the bench don't have that experience and they'll struggle initially. Likewise, any sophomores through seniors on other teams will have another year of going up against HCGM and the Shockers under their belt and be used to the Koch arena crowd, so they'll play better against us. So the teams that had some young talent last year will be even better this year, and young teams will struggle. Teams that aren't young that struggle mainly just lack the talent of the better teams. In other words, WSU wins in conference play will be tougher this year :)

Comment

Working...
                              X