Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moda center 1.jpgmoda center 2.jpg

Comment

Sorry. lousy pics. I'm new at this. I'll try again.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        No that's just you westsiders. Why else do all you guys need those 3 car, 1500 SF garages attached to homes that themselves only have 1000 SF above-grade?
        YOURS IS ATTACHED??!!! Lucky.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Here's a link; hopefully it will work. To the left of the center scoreboard, just above the "This is Rip City" banner, are a few asymmetrical suites. If the link allows you to "look around" (as it should) then you can judge the aesthetic effect for yourself. Personally, I don't think it looks bad at all. http://blazers.io-media.com/#vr/Section/202/C-H/8/d

Comment

What can I say... slow work day before I take 2 weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]0[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2113[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2114[/ATTACH]
              Sorry. lousy pics. I'm new at this. I'll try again.
              Here's a link; hopefully it will work. To the left of the center scoreboard, just above the "This is Rip City" banner, are a few asymmetrical suites. If the link allows you to "look around" (as it should) then you can judge the aesthetic effect for yourself. Personally, I don't think it looks bad at all. http://blazers.io-media.com/#vr/Section/202/C-H/8/d
              I was able to google some stuff and see what you were talking about. Still think the analogy isn't really there though due to the size/scope/design variations between the two arenas, but that's just me.

EDIT: That is a super cool interface you linked there. Wish every facility had that.

Comment

I was able to google some stuff and see what you were talking about. Still think the analogy isn't really there though due to the size/scope/design variations between the two arenas, but that's just me.
                Ok, fair enough. Just trying to provide a "real time" example of how it could turn out. (And still look good, IMO.)

Comment

EDIT: That is a super cool interface you linked there. Wish every facility had that.
                  Well, when your owner is Paul Allen, you can do some super cool computer graphic stuff!

Comment

His point that I have not been called out for a negative take on the suites is wholly inaccurate.

And what the hell is with you following me around various threads trying to provoke me? Are you a child? Does your wife emasculate you, and SN is your outlet? What's the deal? I'd appreciate it if you could find someone else to follow around and nip at their heels.
                    Not following you around at all. What I was attempting to say with my post is that you live in an alternate reality because you are surprised that you are the "only one" that dislikes the design and that you are surprised that no one else does and that no one agrees with you. Maybe a little dig at you there, but sheesh!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                      Facilities are a huge part of recruiting and being considered a "big boy" in college sports. A big part of the national talking points about Wichita State in the recent past has been their facilities, and not just with basketball, but you hear that a lot in baseball. You have to continue to improve and the recruits are drawn to those things. The redesign of the locker rooms I think is a great example.
                      You are so right. Recently I received videos and images of recent athletic facility improvements at A&M. They are so lavish that it reminded me of Roman times. The architect could not find more uses for granite, marble, fountains and excessive opulence. I seem to recall that the price tag was over one billion dollars.

All in the name of recruiting and some needed improvements.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

I've not seen them personally, but I hear that with the money Phil Knight poured into U of Oregon's facilities they believe that if they can JUST get the recruit to come out and look, they've got them, at least for football. Haven't seen the new basketball arena he built, but I've gotta believe that financial commitment to facilities helped lure Dana Altman there.

Comment

I'm not an architect by I have a brother and a sister that are architects and, more importantly, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I suspect there are some structural engineering components at work here that may somewhat restrict how they will be able design and incorporated these suites. The fact that we are also trying not to lose any seating could also be a complicating factor.

Comment

I've not seen them personally, but I hear that with the money Phil Knight poured into U of Oregon's facilities they believe that if they can JUST get the recruit to come out and look, they've got them, at least for football. Haven't seen the new basketball arena he built, but I've gotta believe that financial commitment to facilities helped lure Dana Altman there.
                            Oregon facilities are just nuts.
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Well to start with I'd at least make the design symmetrical (half court to half court) as it relates to the existing arena bowl/court. If you are viewing the court as it is shot during TV broadcasts, and you consider the half court line to be 12:00, then these suites as depicted in the conceptuals run from like 10:00 to 12:30. You don't have to be an architecture buff (which I am not) to understand this will look unusual, to put it lightly.
                              Would you add a second tunnel on the opposite end of the court from the student section?
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

In general I'm a fan of symmetry, but I'm not convinced that the suites would be visually intrusive enough to be a distraction. Asymmetry at court level would be distracting since that is where you are looking all game long. I just don't spend enough time looking at the top rows of Koch to think that it will change how I perceive the aesthetics of the building. If we were talking about suits at the same level of the entrances, I would probably share the concerns, but the top rows are already visually separated enough by both distance and by being beyond the banners which create a visual break in the arena space that it doesn't seem like a major problem. Beyond that, there have been references to camera angles, and as far as I can tell that has no bearing on the suite discussion. In order for the tv cameras to even be looking at the suites they would have to be showing none of the court. If you watch broadcasts of games at Koch, not only are the top rows not in picture, the entrances don't make it into the shot.
                                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                                X