Shockers vs. Alabama Game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moshock's after action report

Borrowing a theme from my good friend @shoxlax I thought I might give a similar rundown on my first live action with the 14-15 Shox.

We made the 5 hr trip over from Branson yesterday. It was so nice to see $1.99 gas in Joplin. It jumped to $2.29 once we crossed into Kansas. Upon arriving in the Air Capitol - I hit (in order) Nu-Way, Hog Wild BBQ, Dog n Shake, and Bill's Charcoal Grill - all in one day. Mrs Moshock was not happy on the way home this morning. There's nothing like riding with the windows down when it's 38 degrees. I was smiling - She was not.

I had scored on a couple of great tickets right behind the Alabama bench. The Tide was there ready to roll our arses. That was a super athletic team and they look focused before the game. This was their chance for a Superbowl victory. They wanted it bad. Their bench was repeatedly told to sit down by the zebras. They were in to it.

I noticed that they went right after Evan in the first possession of each half ....and scored. Rashard gave me some hope that he might be ready for a start at the 4. I'm definitely an Evan Wessel fan but he needs to be a 2 or 3.

I was a little worried with 6 minutes left. Then I looked at Ron "I've got this" Baker and told Mrs Mo - we are going to win this. The good guys were locked in and there was no fear in their eyes.

I really haven't seen it mentioned but I thought that Rashard diving on the floor for a loose ball towards the end of the game was huge. I think he grew up a lot in this game.

Alabama is a very good team. They will kick butt in the SEC (sans Kentucky)

Coach Grant seems like a class act. I hope he does well this season and I also hope we can keep them on the schedule for a long time.

When the Tide went up by 11, one of their coaches turned around and gave the "shhh" sign to our crowd. His dobber was in the dirt at the buzzer. He didn't look at the crowd.

Dickie V dancing on the court was hilarious. I might be crazy but IMHO, it shows how far this program has come in the national media's eyes.

I saw Conner and his GF in the hall before the game. There were a lot of fans giving him congrats. I'm glad he's a Shocker.

I go to a couple of games a year and watch the Bears at JQH. I know some of you get to see JQH only when the Shox are there. That game is not even close to the norm. The distance between WSU and the rest of the MVC is a giant chasm. I hope we can get in a better conference soon.

I can't say enough about the atmosphere in and around Koch Arena. The crowd noise in the last minutes of the game was almost painful. This is a very special time for WSU - and I'm enjoying the ride.

Comment

• I know it doesn't affect the game, but it gets me riled up. I think I saw three or more times in the last ten minutes that the officials instructed the Shocker bench to sit down. I believe there is a rule that only one coach may be standing during game action. As one official was requesting 5-6 Shockers to sit down, the ball was thrown in on an Alabama offensive position directly in front of their bench, with the head coach and 3-4 assistants standing right behind. While the Shockers were cheering a play at the other end of the court, I saw multiple possessions of the Shockers at the Alabama end where a big Alabama dude was standing at the midpoint of the bench, holding a towel. Out of the corner of a player's eye, that player could have easily been mistaken for being in the action. Only 18-24 inches out of bounds. No official ever, that I noticed, asked any Alabama coach or player to sit down.

To me, this just wreaks of bias against the Shockers. It is meaningless in and of itself, since no "warnings" were given. But I believe it carries over to some calls/non-calls that do affect the action.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        I know it doesn't affect the game, but it gets me riled up. I think I saw three or more times in the last ten minutes that the officials instructed the Shocker bench to sit down. I believe there is a rule that only one coach may be standing during game action. As one official was requesting 5-6 Shockers to sit down, the ball was thrown in on an Alabama offensive position directly in front of their bench, with the head coach and 3-4 assistants standing right behind. While the Shockers were cheering a play at the other end of the court, I saw multiple possessions of the Shockers at the Alabama end where a big Alabama dude was standing at the midpoint of the bench, holding a towel. Out of the corner of a player's eye, that player could have easily been mistaken for being in the action. Only 18-24 inches out of bounds. No official ever, that I noticed, asked any Alabama coach or player to sit down.

To me, this just wreaks of bias against the Shockers. It is meaningless in and of itself, since no "warnings" were given. But I believe it carries over to some calls/non-calls that do affect the action.
        I had a butt's eye view of the Alabama bench - yes they were told repeatedly to sit down but were pretty much ignoring the ref once the ball was in play.

Comment

• Evan did get scored upon the first time Bama had the ball in the game on a fade away jumper. However, if you watched, later in the half, the same player tried to do the same fade away shot and Wessel made an adjustment and was ready for it and guarded it beautifully. It is not fair to criticize Evan for them scoring on the first play in the second half. It was obvious that his injury was not allowing him to move. He was a sitting duck and Gregg pulled him immediately.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            I know it doesn't affect the game, but it gets me riled up. I think I saw three or more times in the last ten minutes that the officials instructed the Shocker bench to sit down. I believe there is a rule that only one coach may be standing during game action. As one official was requesting 5-6 Shockers to sit down, the ball was thrown in on an Alabama offensive position directly in front of their bench, with the head coach and 3-4 assistants standing right behind. While the Shockers were cheering a play at the other end of the court, I saw multiple possessions of the Shockers at the Alabama end where a big Alabama dude was standing at the midpoint of the bench, holding a towel. Out of the corner of a player's eye, that player could have easily been mistaken for being in the action. Only 18-24 inches out of bounds. No official ever, that I noticed, asked any Alabama coach or player to sit down.

Originally posted by moshock View Post
            I had a butt's eye view of the Alabama bench - yes they were told repeatedly to sit down but were pretty much ignoring the ref once the ball was in play.
            Help me out here; isn't this why the T foul exists? Sheesh...

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
              Comparisons to last year's squad is natural, and questions as to why FVV isn't acting like himself on the court are reasonable. This team is a total 180 from last year's group. Last year's team had 7 guys who averaged 5 points or more per game. This year's group currently has 4. Not only has FVV and RB been dealt (justifiably so) Pre-Season All American status, but they are also having to shoulder the brunt of generating the offense. That's a lot of pressure on the two. FVV no longer has the opportunity to get a player like Cle a scoring chance. We lack a player with Cle's inside/out ability and obviously, Lufile and Coleby (while not strong scorers) still had to be respected by the opposing defense due to their size, rebounding proficiency and ability to go off if not guarded close.

This team is in the early stages of the learning curve. Years prior, RB, FVV and TC all had senior leadership that represented the brunt of scoring and rebounding. Now, they are the guys whom the younger ones are looking up to. A tougher non-con schedule this year, the target on our back gets bigger, lack of a front court and the pressure for the back court guys to pick up the slack all means early struggles. As Aaron Rodgers so eloquently quipped a few months back when people were doubting the Packers, "Relax".
              This.
              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Yep. Rashard Kelly in particular is growing up before our eyes. Two huge baskets to pull the Shockers even at 51-all. The 2nd basket was a very aggressive, confident move and was anything but an easy play. But Rashard also made a very Evan Wessel-like play diving on the loose ball and calling timeout late
                Methinks 3G has been starting EW for this very reason, it's starting to finally rub off on at least one of the new guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Perused some Valley boards. They think WSU is unimpressive and that they have legitimate shots at knocking WSU off the pedestal. What Valley fans don't realize is that their teams are no Alabama. Not even close. Physically. Athletically. Period.

You don't wanna go there..
                  It's amazing how mortal a team can look against quality competition.

I wonder how many people could guess how many Valley teams have played a top 200 SOS (per KenPom) this year.

That would be WSU, Illinois St, and Indiana State (barely). WSU's schedule is ranked nearly 200 spots higher than 70% of this conference.

Wichita St 34
                  Illinois St 92
                  Indiana St 186
                  Loyola 205
                  UNI 207
                  Bradley 223
                  Missouri St 235
                  Evansville 248
                  Drake 260
                  SIU 332
                  (Our KenPom Noncon SOS last year was 96. That's a hell of an increase.)
                  Last edited by Rlh04d; December 17, 2014, 05:35 PM.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    Wessel also immediately came right back out because it was clear that he was too gimpy to be effective. He may well be ready, but there is a reason he didn't play the rest of the half.
                    True, but even the fact that he was walking at that point was a surprise.

He's definitely gimpy, and definitely couldn't compete at a high level in that game, but with him going back into that game, I don't see any reason to think he'll even miss a game. (Though if he does, this is the one to miss.)
                    Originally posted by BleacherReport
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• FVV set an enormously high bar for himself with last years sensational season.
                      He still is in control out there and he just needs a good game or two shooting to
                      get his confidence back. He plays with tremendous court awareness and vision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                        I'll bet a nacho that it is off next game.
                        No stale nacho allowed.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                          No stale nacho allowed.
                          Well then it can't be a nacho from CKA then

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                            I just want to soak in that for a day or two. He isn't wrong. But the fact that he is right is amazing.
                            When I first joined SN, we constantly dreamed, envisioned, and posted that some fine day, we would do things to earn such respect. Now as we consider the last 5 Seasons, these dreams have become a reality. We are not done yet and shan't ever quit dreaming.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Proud of you @moshock! Rule #1 of an after action report you've perfected like a Tyrone Shoelace crossover-always throw a bathroom joke in there. Keep us in touch with our distant adolescence.

As long as you are in the driving mood, head up to Des Moines New Years Eve. I may even be able to drag @Fuente 858 and @Tyrone Shoelace along.

In any event, I will be in the "Field" for the game next month.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                Perused some Valley boards. They think WSU is unimpressive and that they have legitimate shots at knocking WSU off the pedestal. What Valley fans don't realize is that their teams are no Alabama. Not even close. Physically. Athletically. Period.

You don't wanna go there..
                                this game is over and done.. but.. valley boards? man, i was reading the kentucky board. bama had it all sowed up until the refs changed things in the shockers favor, says uk. some butthurt over there, too.

bring it on then, uk (errr.. next year)!

Comment

Working...
                                X