No announcement yet.

Official Detroit discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not as worried about free throw shooting after this game, other than with Darius. He accounted for 5 of the misses. No one else had more than one.

One thing I have noticed is we rarely get the ball on the block to someone other than DC. Against LMU and Valley competition is like to see this change. We aren't really giving our young post players many scoring opportunities where they can thrive. That growth will be needed or our team will live and die by the three this season.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
      I'm not as worried about free throw shooting after this game, other than with Darius. He accounted for 5 of the misses. No one else had more than one.

One thing I have noticed is we rarely get the ball on the block to someone other than DC. Against LMU and Valley competition is like to see this change. We aren't really giving our young post players many scoring opportunities where they can thrive. That growth will be needed or our team will live and die by the three this season.
      Of our three new bigs, only Shaq has shown the ability to play with his back to the basket consistently. I think he's a little gun shy after he picked up all those whistles though. This is an area Kelly and Nurger can really improve!
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
        Of our three new bigs, only Shaq has shown the ability to play with his back to the basket consistently. I think he's a little gun shy after he picked up all those whistles though. This is an area Kelly and Nurger can really improve!
        Not that it's anything to brag about, but Shaq also has the 3rd highest FT% of players taking double digit throws so far (.667 8-12). He (7 assists, 7 TO) and Kelly (8, 9) also distribute and take care of the ball much better than the other 3 bigs (7, 20).

Comment

• We out scored Detroit by 19 in the final 12 minutes.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            We out scored Detroit by 19 in the final 12 minutes.
            For the most part, a game of runs. First 6 minutes, Shocks 16-5, next 6+ minutes 11-19 Titians, then 8-7 to finish the half. 9-23 Detroit to start the 2nd half over about 9 minutes, then Shocks 33-14 to finish.

The only extended time the two teams played each other close was for 8 minutes. Shockers' 2 runs, 49-19, Detroit's 2 runs 42-20.

Comment

• Wondering.
              Do we have a five player, who can defend large 6-10 to 7-0 centers?
              I love Darius, but I fear he is too under sized to defend against big monsters.
              Surely we will face big monsters, when playing the better teams later on.
              Am I being a worry wart?
              Just wondering.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                Wondering.
                Am I being a worry wart?
                Just wondering.
                It has been noted that DC has a very large wing span. I think this as much as anything is what gives one the ability to guard the post. Height is sometimes grossly overrated. Think about this, DC is a good fro away from measuring 7'. Do you think that would make him guard better?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                  Wondering.
                  Am I being a worry wart?
                  Just wondering.
                  I thought we did pretty well defending Utah's bigs, at least scoring wise, and that was even with DC sitting on the bench. We obviously got beat up on the glass pretty badly, but we took a 7' NBA draft pick and limited really just to that string of pick-and-rolls early.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Another point about undersized centers and power forwards:

Carl Hall was a beast underneath, and I swear that Cle looked taller than Hall. I may be mixing up some of my memories from that season, but I don't think our only excellent defender in the post was Ehimen.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      Mark Adams compared Rashard Kelly to the X man. A little lofty expectations but he does play similarly.
                      From a rebounding standpoint, absolutely. In fact, I am not sure X left the same impression as a freshman. He looked promising, but he literally EXPLODED in the game with the Soviets his sophomore season and he never looked back.

If Rashard starts to show flashes on offense this season. other than stick backs and a fortuitous 3 pointer, then he could be REALLY special...

Having said that I do not expect Rashard to lead the nation in rebounding even once, let alone twice or lead the nation in scoring, but the potential is there to make quite a name for himself..
                      Last edited by jocoshock; December 14, 2014, 02:03 PM.
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                        From a rebounding standpoint, absolutely. In fact, I am not sure X left the same impression as a freshman. He looked promising, but he literally EXPLODED in the game with the Soviets his sophomore season and he never looked back.

If Rashard starts to show flashes on offense this season. other than stick backs and a fortuitous 3 pointer, then he could be REALLY special...

Having said that I do not expect Rashard to lead the nation in rebounding even once, let alone twice or lead the nation in scoring, but the potential is there to make quite a name for himself..
                        I'd say his three pointer against Detroit looked pretty smooth. I think his main thing is slowing down his motor when he gets into games. It's revved so high he looks sped up when he gets the ball in the post.
                        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          He doesn't need to start in the Valley, he needs to start by tournament time; and he should be ready.
                          Agree. Just speaking to his progression. His has been the most impressive of all the newbies to date--IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            Another point about undersized centers and power forwards:

Carl Hall was a beast underneath, and I swear that Cle looked taller than Hall. I may be mixing up some of my memories from that season, but I don't think our only excellent defender in the post was Ehimen.
                            Hall checked in at 6'6" in the NBA combine. Early 6'7".
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                              Hall checked in at 6'6" in the NBA combine. Early 6'7".
                              I thought that might be the case. I guess that helps my case then. Unless I am misremembering how effective Hall was against bigger guys around the NCAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                                I thought that might be the case. I guess that helps my case then. Unless I am misremembering how effective Hall was against bigger guys around the NCAA.
                                But Hall was built like an NFL cornerback, so he had some breadth to make up for his lack of height.
                                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                                X