Low Scoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Scoring

This probably doesn't deserve a thread, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of games are still really "low scoring" this year? What happened to the new rules of last year. Is that basically over?

I haven't done any research so I could be totally wrong, but it seems like some of these scores are even worse than ever.

They really do need to shorten the shot clock. Even down to 30 would help with the pace and scoring

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
      They really do need to shorten the shot clock. Even down to 30 would help with the pace and MISSED SHOTS!
      FIFY

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        FIFY
        That only makes sense if teams are using every second of a position fighting for position to get a good shot. Frequently guards just dribble around and chuck the ball up with 5 seconds left. That can happen no matter the length of the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
          This probably doesn't deserve a thread, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of games are still really "low scoring" this year? What happened to the new rules of last year. Is that basically over?

I haven't done any research so I could be totally wrong, but it seems like some of these scores are even worse than ever.
          I know Wisconsin is talented but if they were really top 2 team in the country they would not be held to under 50 by very mediocre Marquette team. I dont know how many teams in the country in the country I could see holding shox under 50

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7 View Post
            I know Wisconsin is talented but if they were really top 2 team in the country they would not be held to under 50 by very mediocre Marquette team. I dont know how many teams in the country in the country I could see holding shox under 50
            Zero
            Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
              Zero
              thats what i was thinking but wanted to sound a little less conifdent haha

Comment

Very crudely (because of the form of the raw data), the 351 teams this year are averaging 68.65 possessions per game (high is bYU with 81.5 and low is American with 58.3) compared to 68.89 last year.

Using 68 possession per game times two teams is 136 possessions. In the 2400 seconds per game, this would result in possessions being ended (shots, fouls, turnovers) in an average of 17.65 seconds. Even at American's rate of 58 per game, the possessions average 20.69 seconds.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I think too much is being made out of one single game. Sure, Wisconsin failed to score 50. It was just one game. Things happen. It is only fair to note that they play a slow paced style. KenPom has their "tempo" at #328 in the country. That is SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWW. They had one crappy night and still won by 11. I think the fact they are coming off a Final Four and are 8-1 so far this year makes it "reasonable" to have had them ranked #2. I wouldn't put them quite that high if I were ranking today, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they win a bunch over the next few weeks/months and move back up to #2 later in the year. Wisconsin is a very good team.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                    Very crudely (because of the form of the raw data), the 351 teams this year are averaging 68.65 possessions per game (high is bYU with 81.5 and low is American with 58.3) compared to 68.89 last year.

Using 68 possession per game times two teams is 136 possessions. In the 2400 seconds per game, this would result in possessions being ended (shots, fouls, turnovers) in an average of 17.65 seconds. Even at American's rate of 58 per game, the possessions average 20.69 seconds.
                    I agree that your numbers are crude but I appreciate them anyway because they do help the discussion. I personally like things as they are. I don't like the way the NBA shot clock comes into play so often. I like teams to have time to run their offense. As your numbers point out, most college possessions don't take all 35 seconds. I would venture that 1 in every 5 or 1 in every 10 possessions actually reaches the final seconds of the shot clock. Personally, I like that kind of ratio.

Comment

Working...
                    X