The Wichita State Model to Athletic Program Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wichita State Model to Athletic Program Success

John Wise is the WSU Assistant Director of Track and Field. I read his blog post today in which he suggests that his alma mater should drop its football program. His main point is what many of us have stated many times, a university would be better off to take the money it loses on football and invest it in its basketball program.

What I appreciated was his perspective as someone involved in a non-revenue sport at WSU. All of the athletic programs at WSU are big beneficiaries of this approach. Not only do WSU's non-revenue sports have the best budgets in the conference, but their budgets are competitive with the P5 schools in the region.

With the recent discussions of some big athletic facility improvements in the works, WSU is certainly demonstrating that this a successful model. I suspect that over time as the reality of P5 autonomy and athletic stipends come into play that we are going to see more programs drop football. However, WSU is way ahead of the curve.

Below is an excerpt from his blog:

You may or may not know but all but about 20 NCAA D1 schools lose money in football – and many lose LOTS of money, so much in fact that the entire rest of the athletic department suffers and in some cases programs get cut. Football budgets are so bloated by how much the sport costs to maintain and outrageous salaries that schools like Kent (and the rest of the MAC) feel like they have to keep up with the BCS schools and maybe become the next Boise State (by the way Boise State loses money every year too). One of the main arguments for having a football team, even though they lose money, is for free advertising on ESPN, Fox, etc. which in turn drives enrollment figures up. I don’t agree.

All that money that my alma mater loses in football every year, Wichita St uses to invest into our basketball program. We pay our head coach $2 million/year, our team flies to games in private charter jets, the assistant coaches get PAID (and thus are retained) and the athletic department marketing resources are dedicated to promoting this team that doesn’t cost near as much as a football team.

Most schools in conferences our size (MVC, MAC, Sun Belt) get around 60-70% of their athletic department budget from the university through student fees. At Wichita State we get less than 30% from student fees.

Guess what else? All the other athletic department teams are budgeted at the top of our conference and sometimes as high as our local BCS rival schools that we aim to beat. In terms of track and field we never feel that we take a back seat to anyone. Our athletes have access to the best facilities, travel budgets and coaches they can get.

http://johnwisewsu.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Shocker-maniac; November 10, 2014, 09:56 PM.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

the reason I’m talking about this is because I currently work at a school that does not have football and most everyone around here couldn’t be happier about it
    Very interesting perspective from the inside.

Comment

I miss football, bad as it was most of the time. But it is gone, and it ain't never comin back... and that is a good thing whether we like it or not. It would be good to have from a "college experience" standpoint, but not to the detriment of every other sport..

Unless Charles Koch decides to endow the athletic department with a couple of hundred million dollars of course... :friendly_wink:
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I still think soccer is a good sport to have. It doesn't cost near what football does and is growing in popularity all the time. WSU could be very competitive as well.

Comment

Here is the lowdown on Soccer from Sexton. I asked him at a VB game and you can tell he has done his home work.

1. Cost is $750K per year per team (men/women) and you would have to have both.
          2. The use of the football stadium is questionable due to what it would do to our track and field teams. So a new stadium would probably be need to be built. (figure 10-20 Mil)
          3. Based on other universities it is not a sport that would be supported by fan revenue. So not enough butts in the seats. Not sure I would agree with this, but see his point.
          4. While local talent is strong in our area, thinks most kids want to go away to school. I totally disagree with this. I think it is true for basketball and football as seen by how hard it is to keep kids here. But I think soccer is different and could be recruited like baseball which has done a great job of keeping local talent.
          5. Do we spend money on this or keep HCGM and basketball happy by not taking money away from our main cash cow.

So in essence, barring a major donor and corporate sponsorship I don't see this anytime soon. That being said, if we did it this it is a sport we could be nationally relevant in, in a short time frame. Main soccer competitors right now for talent are Nebraska and Creighton and the east and west coast. If we treat it like baseball and get a coach that can recruit, talent would come here. Soccer (Futball) is the number one sport in the world, as the US hates to loose, and we continue to be relevant in international play, soccer will gain more attention and fans willing to understand the game and watch. If you look at what Sporting KC is doing, all games sold out, fans will come and watch if the product is good. WSU can be a national player in soccer but if the BIG 5 conferences start to see this as a viable alternative and we get in late, not sure we could be relevant.

Comment

Doubtful the Shockers will be adding sports just to be adding sports. I see them maintaining the minimum number of sports necessary to maintain their D-1 status. We have all the non-revenue generating sports we can handle. If they were to add any sports in the future it would mostly likely be a switch of the bowling teams from the USBC to the NCAA and they would only do that if it was necessary to maintain D-1 status or was otherwise beneficial.

Comment

Please no soccer, however on second thought... hmmm?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                Please no soccer, however on second thought... hmmm?

more, please

Comment

Ah, yes -- knew WstateU would come through. So, the heck with soccer: if they want to add a sport just to be adding, do wrestling instead -- much cheaper, as no new facility is required. In reality, though, they probably don't want to add just to be adding, and that's fine with me.

Comment

Working...
                  X