More problems for Barry at SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More problems for Barry at SIU

Smithpeters has been kicked out of SIU. He is not allowed to attend classes or be on campus. He is appealing the decision. This was the result of a violation of the student code of conduct.

If his appeal is not successful, he will not be allowed to reapply for admission to SIU for 2 years.

Definitely no details on what happened. Here's the thread on the Saluki board.

Here's the media link

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

This is crazy. Completely blindsided Saluki fans, who thought the team was beyond this kind of stuff. Apparently this is a pretty serious violation relating to Title IX. People with knowledge of the situation are saying its not academically related, nor is it something like having a hunting rifle behind the seat of his truck. This is high level, and horrible for the team.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

From the Site Admin
      Well, I was ready to just post the full story here, but I've been advised that legally, that is not in my, or the site's, best interest.

I will try to summarize with this post and clarify what little bit I can with the following FACTS:

Tyler has been accused of violating the Student Code of Conduct.

This alleged violation is NON-ACADEMIC

There have been no criminal charges brought against him

There has already been a hearing of the University Disciplinary Board regarding this case.

The final hearing was October 3rd, he was found to have violated a section of the SCC.

He is currently appealing this decision, which would result in, at minimum, a two-year ban from campus.

This decision can only be overturned by the Chancellor, per the SCC, in non-academic matters.

This decision should be handed down later this week.

Every reporter in the media knows exactly what the alleged violation is.

No one will report on it due to it currently being in the appeal process.

If the original appeal were to be overturned, but the alleged violation got out through a media source beforehand, lawsuits would be passed out like candy on Halloween. (See: Why I'm not posting the exact violation.)

If the appeal is overturned, this will make anything Desmar did look like rolling through a country stop sign by comparison.

As soon as I am able to post more, I assure you, I will.

But please be respectful of the reasons I am not.

Thank you.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

What did desmar do?

Comment

I remember he was arrested for stealing other kids' bikes on campus or something like that. There may have been other transgressions.

Comment

SIU Student Conduct Code, starts on page 6.

Comment

There are not many violations in the SCC that I can find that are both non-academic and non-criminal--just those violations described in 2.6 through 2.9.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Whatever it is, it's being taken very seriously by those in the know on the SIU board. There's none of the chest thumping "Our guys can do no wrong" attitude that we see from some othee fan bases. *cough* Illinois State *cough*

Comment

I think we all, unfortunately, know what it is.
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Per people knowledgeable, it would be a criminal charge, however because of title 9, it is handled by the university.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                      Per people knowledgeable, it would be a criminal charge, however because of title 9, it is handled by the university.
                      I don't know if that's how that works. There should be a criminal investigation first, if there is not enough evidence to base charges, then the investigation is turned over/passed on to the university to determine if any Title IX laws were broken.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Ugh. This sucks for Barrah.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                          I don't know if that's how that works. There should be a criminal investigation first, if there is not enough evidence to base charges, then the investigation is turned over/passed on to the university to determine if any Title IX laws were broken.
                          I don't know either. these sourses could be completely wrong about everything. The Saluki Site Admin knows the whole story, as well as some WuDrWu types over there, and claims the whole media knows, and nobody is touching it until the appeal goes through. This is more than pot or she said he said, but all we know right now is here-say until the story is broke.

Comment

If you dig around on Twitter, you can see a claim or two. Just an fyi, if you like digging.
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

A desire to remain anonymous could cause a person (or persons) to be comfortble dealing with campus authorities, but uncomfortable dealing with criminal proceedings.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X