Shockers of the Roundhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers of the Roundhouse

Every article in the series "Shockers of the Roundhouse" will be posted in this thread. Thank you to whoever posted Jamar's story last week. There are definitely more to come.

This week is Craig Steven's story. Here's the link: http://www.thesunflower.com/sports/a...7a43b2370.html

Here's Jamar's again for those who didn't see it: http://www.thesunflower.com/sports/a...7a43b2370.html

Here's a link to a story on "Hoops 4 Literacy," which is a celebrity basketball game with a lot of former Shockers playing in it this Friday. It should be a cool event. It helps out kids and you'll see some old faces playing again: http://www.thesunflower.com/news/art...7a43b2370.html

Like I said, more stories are coming. Next week: "Shockers of the Roundhouse: Randy Burns" and in coming weeks there will be stories on Fridge Holman and PJ Couisnard.

Feel free to discuss the articles. It won't hurt my feelings. Maybe someone will say something and I'll be able to add a little context to what the person said.
    Last edited by KmanTA; August 27, 2014, 06:12 PM.

Sweet. Can't wait to read about Fridge and PJ.
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I saw someone post about Turgeon's relationship with players in the thread about Jamar's story. From what I've been able to gather so far, Turgeon was all business. That doesn't mean he didn't have a personal relationship with other players, which was poorly stated (by me) in Jamar's story. The story mainly reflects how Jamar felt at that time. He said that Turgeon and Wichita State was really the only school that believed in him. He was recruited by a lot of D-1 schools, including Kansas, and WSU believed in him.

Also, Jamar spoke very highly of coach Boyle and coach Rohn. Jamar even said, "I could sit down with Boyle and talk to him for three hours and it would feel like 30 minutes."

I thought I'd give a little perspective on it since some posters were commenting on it. Jamar and I sat down two separate times for a total of an hour and thirty minutes. He might be one of the most sincere and nicest guys I've ever met.

There are a lot more stories to come on former players and a lot of stuff I'll share that wasn't told in the stories. (i.e. Craig's thoughts on Smithson vs. Turgeon vs. Marshall, Jamar on the Vandy game)

Lastly, I'd like to reiterate that anyone can comment on these stories. If you've heard me on Talk Angry, I take criticism well. I invite it and in a good & sick way, I love it. Tear apart the article for horrible writing or tear into the story itself and discuss. The only thing I do ask is that you keep it civil in regards to the players I interview. I read comments made about certain players in Shocker history and it can sometimes upset me. These guys wore the black and gold and almost every player I plan on interviewing gave 100% effort when they played. With that said, if a player says, "f*** WSU" then they're fair game.

Hope everyone enjoys these. Much like Talk Angry, I'm just trying to bring Shocker fans something I think they want and haven't had.

Comment

We really don't need to talk about the Vandy game...
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

This is really telling about Craig's thought's on the Smithson time:
          “There was so much of having a teammate’s back and needing each other just to get through the next day. I think that’s why those two years mean so much more to me.”
          My read, which is reading into the story and tone, is that it was the team against the coach. There is a time and place to instill fear but instill fear is not leadership, a coach must lead.

As for the fights in practice, that explains a lot about Carlos Diggins challenge to fisticuffs with the caller who questioned the coaching.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
            This is really telling about Craig's thought's on the Smithson time:

My read, which is reading into the story and tone, is that it was the team against the coach. There is a time and place to instill fear but instill fear is not leadership, a coach must lead.

As for the fights in practice, that explains a lot about Carlos Diggins challenge to fisticuffs with the caller who questioned the coaching.
            I'm not sure what the fisticuffs is in reference to. I know Diggins was on Smithson's staff for a short time. Both "screamers." Not sure what you're referring to though. I'd love to hear. Researching WSU basketball and learning its history is one of my favorite hobbies nowadays. I'd love some insight. Might be able to ask a player about it.

As far as "Randy instilling fear," Craig believed Randy did what he did because he wanted a group of people, a team, a unit. Depending on how the team played in away games, Smithson would hold practices as soon as they got back into Wichita. They'd sometimes practice until 2 in the morning. Which makes sense as to why the university placed restrictions in Smithson's last year on practice time. I'm sure a lot of you already know about it, but NCAA teams are allowed to practice 20 hours a week. Because they went over the 20 hours and an investigation stemming from Maurice Evans leaving, WSU placed a 15-hour limit on practice time each week. Whether they kept practice to 15 hours or less in Smithson's last year or not, I don't know.

The most interesting thing that I found from the interview was what happened after practices in Smithson's final year. I wasn't able to fit this into the story nor did I know where to place it. But, in Randy's final year as head coach, he had the team meet with a psychiatrist after practice. After practice, some players would go to the psychiatrist and pour their hearts out. The psychiatrist would give her views on how to approach certain situations. Craig wasn't sure why Smithson did that, whether it was because he knew he was on the chopping block and he was trying to get his name out of the gutter or because he thought it was the right thing to do. Randy knew he had a lot of eyes on him, Craig said.

Comment

Randy was in over his head and these stories confirm it. We've come a long way since then.

Comment

I should also say that I am not trying to throw anyone under the bus. I'm simply trying to report what the individual I talked to said. If I was able to get ahold of some of the coaches or players they talk about, I would talk to them to get their point of view on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by KmanTA View Post
                  I should also say that I am not trying to throw anyone under the bus. I'm simply trying to report what the individual I talked to said. If I was able to get ahold of some of the coaches or players they talk about, I would talk to them to get their point of view on the subject.
                  Randy is in town and reffing prep ball. Should be easy to reach out to him. He had a stellar juco coaching career -- it's too bad it didn't translate over to D1. He's fought off some personal demons and probably has a compelling story to tell.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Randy had positive qualities to go along with his negatives and the mistakes he made. He'll always be a Shocker (that we all have in common with him) and I wish him well.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      Randy had positive qualities to go along with his negatives and the mistakes he made. He'll always be a Shocker (that we all have in common with him) and I wish him well.
                      This is true. A lot of people remember the coach, but don't want to say anything about the player. As if he wasn't a big piece in the "Battle of New Orleans." Technical on Iowa, late free throws by Smithson ... without that, no game against KU.

Comment

@KmanTA: the incident I referenced was on the post game Locker Room Show, in AJ's at the time but I may be wrong. It was in the waning days of Coach Smithson's tenure, the caller was critical of the staff and some play calling. Carlos took exception and the caller fired back. Carlos invited the caller to the parking lot to settle the matter.

I remember thinking, the caller is probably drunk, Carlos is stressed, and should have walked away because he was not representing the program,or my alma mater in a professional manner.

Can someone else expand? @ABC: @RDR: @ISASO: @SBShock
                        Last edited by DUShock; September 1, 2014, 09:34 PM. Reason: One heck of a run on sentence.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Lo siento. No se.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by KmanTA View Post
                            ... These guys wore the black and gold and ....
                            I don't think the Shocker colors are black and gold. It's black and yellow, at least that's what I bleed. Sunflower yellow to be exact.

Comment

KmanTA,

Thanks for your interviews with players from the past along with your comments.

Very nice. Very nice, indeed

rdr
                              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X