X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussDaBus View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=2960

Top 25 Future Programs. We got snubbed!

Too low: Wichita State Shockers (No. 38)

Wichita State is no flash in the pan. The squad has won 92 games over the last three years, tied with Syracuse for the second-most wins in that time period. The Shockers have earned three consecutive NCAA bids, advanced to the Final Four in 2012-13 and finished last regular season undefeated, earning a No. 1 seed in the process. Despite playing in what is considered a mid-major league (the Missouri Valley Conference), there is nothing mid-major about the Shockers. Coach Gregg Marshall is well-compensated, and their facilities are first class. Wichita State practices in a state-of-the-art practice facility and competes in the renovated Koch Arena in front of sellout crowds of 10,506 passionate fans. The team travels by charter, and its budget takes a back seat to no one.

Anyone who sees Marshall looking to leave the program doesn’t know his pedigree. His two mentors -- Hal Nunnally from Randolph-Macon and John Kresse from College of Charleston -- stayed at their schools for 24 and 23 years, respectively. Marshall has turned down ACC, SEC and Big Ten jobs to remain at Wichita. The opportunities that would interest him would be top-two jobs in power conferences, and I don’t expect them to be available in the near future. Marshall is the total package. He’s a gifted coach who relates to and connects with his players, and is a terrific evaluator of talent. Marshall doesn’t just see a player -- he anticipates what the player could be down the road. He knows the type of player that fits his system and personality. Wichita State is a top-20 program with the potential during any given year to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.
    Whenever Jeff ******* is on a ranking panel I assume he's acting like a little baby and putting Marshall as low as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
      Whenever Jeff ******* is on a ranking panel I assume he's acting like a little baby and putting Marshall as low as possible.
      But in the year 2025, his prediction may come alive ... wasn't there a song that went something like that ... The Age of Aquarius?
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        But in the year 2025, his prediction may come alive ... wasn't there a song that went something like that ... The Age of Aquarius?
        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDaBus View Post
          http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=2960

Top 25 Future Programs. We got snubbed!

Too low: Wichita State Shockers (No. 38)

Wichita State is no flash in the pan. The squad has won 92 games over the last three years, tied with Syracuse for the second-most wins in that time period. The Shockers have earned three consecutive NCAA bids, advanced to the Final Four in 2012-13 and finished last regular season undefeated, earning a No. 1 seed in the process. Despite playing in what is considered a mid-major league (the Missouri Valley Conference), there is nothing mid-major about the Shockers. Coach Gregg Marshall is well-compensated, and their facilities are first class. Wichita State practices in a state-of-the-art practice facility and competes in the renovated Koch Arena in front of sellout crowds of 10,506 passionate fans. The team travels by charter, and its budget takes a back seat to no one.

Anyone who sees Marshall looking to leave the program doesn’t know his pedigree. His two mentors -- Hal Nunnally from Randolph-Macon and John Kresse from College of Charleston -- stayed at their schools for 24 and 23 years, respectively. Marshall has turned down ACC, SEC and Big Ten jobs to remain at Wichita. The opportunities that would interest him would be top-two jobs in power conferences, and I don’t expect them to be available in the near future. Marshall is the total package. He’s a gifted coach who relates to and connects with his players, and is a terrific evaluator of talent. Marshall doesn’t just see a player -- he anticipates what the player could be down the road. He knows the type of player that fits his system and personality. Wichita State is a top-20 program with the potential during any given year to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.
          Supposedly they voted on the following categories:

Coaching - Gregg Marshall obviously never won the CoY trophy, let alone last year
          Current Talent - Yep, none of our player's are on pre-season All-American list. It isn't like magazines are saying we have the #2 PG and #3 SG in the nation.
          Recruiting - See point above. You don't get guys like Baker and Early from western Kansas and DIII Juco without an amazing eye for talent, and that matters more than a ranking.
          Program Power - We won 35 games last year, ranked #2. We went to the Final Four before that. The only teams that have beaten us in the tournament these past two years have played in the last game.
          Stability - We aren't stable at all, we haven't reached a steady state. That is because every year we've gotten better. If winning more games each year is a sign of instability, I'd love to stay unstable a few more years.

Comment

I'm betting that the panel looked at program power and recruiting differently than you did...not that your way is wrong, but it's not how national pundits are going to be thinking.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              I'm betting that the panel looked at program power and recruiting differently than you did...not that your way is wrong, but it's not how national pundits are going to be thinking.
              I sure they looked at a list, and saw some numbers, and had some thoughts. But if they think a team that finished ranked the year ranked 2nd is lower than teams like Harvard and West Virginia I think I have a decent reason to question their methods. I'd rather look at lists of pre-season All-Americans, see the number of games we won, and think about how awesome the last few years have been. I may be a little bit biased, but I still bet we are a heck of a lot closer to a top 10 team than the 38th.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                Pretty much. He's one of the most immature, childish, 3rd grade-like "journalists" out there. He's nothing more than a broken-nosed putz.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Sports Illustrated - "Kentucky's Harrison twins highlight list of top 20 guards in college hoops"

But guess what, Who also has two returning players?

Comment

While it is unclear where Wichita State ranks nationally, they're the clear favorites to win the Missouri Valley Conference ahead of Northern Iowa.

Has a lot of information in his analysis, interesting tables of data, and ranks out the MVC order of finish just about where I would place everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                      Sports Illustrated - "Kentucky's Harrison twins highlight list of top 20 guards in college hoops"

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...-fred-vanvleet
                      We will see just who has the two best guards in the nation in this year's match-up between us in the National Championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...-fred-vanvleet
                        I see a couple on that list that the shocks will see this year

Comment

Came across this link on twitter:

Terker's Top 25 Previews: #12 Wichita State

Comment

Good read!
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              Came across this link on twitter:

Terker's Top 25 Previews: #12 Wichita State
                              I see they still have Eric Hamilton listed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                                I see they still have Eric Hamilton listed.
                                The one negative I noted. I did like the part where WSU. Laches think Kelly is a ball getter!
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X