No announcement yet.

Interesting idea to alter the end of basketball games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of the problem with all the late fouls is the team with the lead can't build a large enough lead where the trailing team would no longer make an effort to foul to try to get back into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
      +1,000,000

Further, I'd argue that 7% of games which had results changed (3 winners out of 45 triers) is not an insignificant number.

In my opinion the needless reviews for .4 of a second and the stock piling of time outs for the last 4 minutes are much larger issues that are even less effective in changing the outcomes of games and much more frustrating as a fan. Nothing will make an average fan tune out quicker than 2 back to back timeouts followed by a 3 minute review that spans a 15 second span on the game clock.
      Yep, that is the absolute worst. That needs to be addressed more than anything.

There never really is a true "buzzer-beater" anymore, even if it appears as clear as day. All the drama is taken out of the moment when immediately after a winning shot, a 5 minute review has to ensue, everybody just stands around waiting, and finally a signal is given, and then a less spontaneous reaction occurs.

So lame.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

They need to enforce an intentional foul rule where the team that is fouled retains possession of the ball after any free throws. At least try to make guys foul while making a basketball play.

Comment

How about adding a triple bonus?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
            I don't see how that discourages teams from fouling at the end of games. A team will have the choice of losing 2 seconds and 0-3 points or losing 35 seconds and 0-3 points.

Comment

Leave it alone. There enough teams that trail in these situations that come back in dramatic style to win, which makes it exciting enough to put up with the down side of the scenario. If you are the team in the lead, make your free throws...simple as that.

Comment

Of course in the long run what it really boils down to is whether the Shockers are ahead or behind.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                  Of course in the long run what it really boils down to is whether the Shockers are ahead or behind.
                  Sounds like my wife's feeling about my SELECTIVE memory.

Comment

Cut down on the time outs. We already have 8 media timeouts. Cut the team timeouts to 3 and only allow 1 timeout per team over the final 2 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                      Leave it alone. There enough teams that trail in these situations that come back in dramatic style to win, which makes it exciting enough to put up with the down side of the scenario. If you are the team in the lead, make your free throws...simple as that.
                      Agree. The only people that really get screwed in this are the gamblers. Close games sometimes appear as routs, and routs appear as close games. Usually, that is all that happens, teams that should cover, don't, and vice versa. Who gives a **** about people dumb enough to try to bet on basketball?

Every now and then, a blind squirrel finds a nut and wins. The fouling makes the game.

Leave the damn thing alone.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                      X