Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion tidbit

Saw this and thought people might be interested:

Craig Thompson (commissioner of the MWC) indicated he would be open to the idea of adding a "basketball only" team. Its near the end of the article.

Marinate...

Thompson likes the MW's 12-team football setup and doesn't feel a need to press for expansion. While he would be open to adding a "basketball-only" team, which would bring that number to an even 12, he would prefer to let the setup "marinate" and allow for rivalries and familiarity to take hold.
    Perhaps WSU is not their choice.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I think that one could make an argument that Gonzaga is a better fit for the MWC's footprint. Even if WSU is not their target, I am encouraged by this comment, because to my knowledge it is the first time that the MWC has publicly stated that they are open to the consideration of adding a basketball only school. Maybe the AAC will follow their lead on this?
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
        I think that one could make an argument that Gonzaga is a better fit for the MWC's footprint.
        I don't know for sure but Spokane isn't much closer than Wichita is to many of the MWC teams. Also Gonzaga is private, but yes I would agree most would prefer them, but I don't think they have a great edge over WSU.

Comment

Gonzaga is sort of a weird case. They've had an amazing run for almost two decades now and I hope it continues, but a lot of their success has come from the stability of the coaching staff and not really due to huge institutional support. They would be kind of a meh addition from a longterm perspective.

Their endowment is roughly half the size of ours despite being a religiously affiliated private school, their coach makes roughly half what ours does, and they have no regional footprint in any sport besides men's hoops.

Basically they are a "Mark Few leaves for XYZ" headline away from a pretty immediate Butleresque reversion and I think most university presidents would recognize that after doing their due diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
            I don't know for sure but Spokane isn't much closer than Wichita is to many of the MWC teams. Also Gonzaga is private, but yes I would agree most would prefer them, but I don't think they have a great edge over WSU.
            Of course, WSU is the best choice for the MWC, the AAC, and any other conference for that matter. I was just saying that a case can be made primarily because of geography and recruiting patterns that the Zags could be a better fit. I remember that when the MVC-MWC challenge came to an end that one of the comments that the MWC coaches were saying is that there was very little benefit for them to come to the MVC footprint to play games. Obviously there is a lot more to consider about who to add to your conference than there is in picking your OOC schedule, and I certainly believe that WSU wins hands down on most metrics.

It appears to me that with the upcoming autonomy changes in the NCAA that conference realignment may heat up again. If so, that most likely will be a very good thing for us. With change comes opportunity, and I believe that we are very well positioned for the that which lies ahead.
            Last edited by Shocker-maniac; August 8, 2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I don't have the time to look, but I'm guessing we're a lot closer distance wise to AAC members than MWC members.

We would be the only team in the Central time zone, and little to no difference in media coverage.

Not my first choice...
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                I don't have the time to look, but I'm guessing we're a lot closer distance wise to AAC members than MWC members.

We would be the only team in the Central time zone, and little to no difference in media coverage.

Not my first choice...
                Tulsa, SMU and Houston are in AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                  I think that one could make an argument that Gonzaga is a better fit for the MWC's footprint. Even if WSU is not their target, I am encouraged by this comment, because to my knowledge it is the first time that the MWC has publicly stated that they are open to the consideration of adding a basketball only school. Maybe the AAC will follow their lead on this?
                  The MWC is my favorite conference for the Shockers if they ever leave the Valley. TCU was a Central Time Zone member - See attached file for current footprint of the MWC
                  Attached Files

Comment

Keep in mind Hawaii is football only
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

Not my first choice...
                      See attached AAC and MWC files for conference footprints -
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                        The MWC is my favorite conference for the Shockers if they ever leave the Valley. TCU was a Central Time Zone member - See attached file for current footprint of the MWC
                        Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                        See attached AAC and MWC files for conference footprints -
                        I prefer the AAC; it seems like a better fit. They could strategically 'poach' 2-4 Valley schools to replace the 2 departures.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

@WstateU:, I think Tulsa and ECU are the replacements for UL and Rutgers.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            @WstateU:, I think Tulsa and ECU are the replacements for UL and Rutgers.
                            You are correct; I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. :)
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Utah State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force and Wichita State would not be a bad Eastern Division of the MWC.

With one trip every other year to San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Boise State, UNLV and Nevada.

I like the AAC OK but which will be the more stable conference. Will they be able to hang on to UConn, Cincy and Memphis and the Florida schools?
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 8, 2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X