Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would Team USA look like if only college players were used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would Team USA look like if only college players were used?

Not sure if anyone has posted this (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...llege-players/) but both Fred and Ron make the team in this College Basketball Talk Post regarding Team USA. I agree with the list of players but disagree that Fred starts on the bench.

It's not how/where you start. It's how you finish. We all know how that would end.... :-)
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Less than midway through this season, the BS by numerous sports writers saying,"Well, I could have or maybe should have place Fred or Ron on the first team" will come to an abrupt halt.

Comment

The entire premise of the list is flawed. Back in the day the most recent draft class was still allowed to participate as amateurs. In 1988 the entire Olympic team was made up of recent college guys like Mitch Richmond and Danny Manning, even though they had just been drafted into the NBA.

In theory, this team would pretty closely match the AP "All-American" team from the 2013-2014 college season. McDermott, Parker, Napier, Russ Smith, etc. The most likely WSU representative would be Early.
        Last edited by Royals85; August 7, 2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

What list isn't flawed? From my perspective because I'm a homer, I think it's really cool that the Shox have not just one player on the list, but two! I posted it for no other reason than that to tell the truth.

Comment

I see no problem mixing pro and amateur for world championships. If they are American, put the best players in the country on the court
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
              I see no problem mixing pro and amateur for world championships. If they are American, put the best players in the country on the court
              There's no problem with the idea, and in other countries I believe college players have recently played on Olympic teams. It's just that in the US the amateurs aren't even close to good enough to actually beat out the pros for the roster spots. I believe that neither Lebron nor Durant were good enough to be named to even 3rd team All-NBA as rookies. The transition from dominating at the amateur level to dominating at the pro level is extremely difficult, even for the freak once in a generation type players.

Comment

Originally posted by Royals85 View Post
                There's no problem with the idea, and in other countries I believe college players have recently played on Olympic teams. It's just that in the US the amateurs aren't even close to good enough to actually beat out the pros for the roster spots. I believe that neither Lebron nor Durant were good enough to be named to even 3rd team All-NBA as rookies. The transition from dominating at the amateur level to dominating at the pro level is extremely difficult, even for the freak once in a generation type players.
                Lebron was Rookie of the Year his rookie year, and tore it up with a 20+ pts per game average, 5+ boards per game and 5+ assists per game for the season --- only ever accomplished by Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan before him. The Cavs also improved their record SIGNIFICANTLY his rookie year -- though they still didn't make the playoffs which was why he wasn't named to an All-NBA team. But he made second squad his second season.

Lebron probably is not a good example to make your point, but it's still a valid point. :)
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                X