Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN Announces Tip-Off Marathon Game Times (WSU v. Memphis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Announces Tip-Off Marathon Game Times (WSU v. Memphis)

• No. 5 Wichita State, which had a magical 35-1 season in 2013-14, plays Memphis at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Tuesday, at 2 p.m. on ESPN.

The game is at 1pm Central, 2pm Eastern.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/08/espn-networks-showcase-19-games-seventh-annual-college-hoops-tip-marathon/

UNI is playing @ Stephen F. Austin @ 8 AM.....

Not sure whether to laugh or cry...

Comment

Turn uppp
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Tweet from Andy Katz:

@ESPNAndyKatz: And of course can't forget Memphis-Wichita State in South Dakota. That game will matter for March: http://t.co/6QgzX4b3Da
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post

The time sucks, but that should be a very good game for Northern Iowa. SFA was 32-3 last year, not losing again after November until the NCAA Tournament.They beat VCU in the 5-12 game before losing to UCLA in the Round of 32. I know their coach, Brad Underwood, got overtures for bigger jobs but decided to stay put. I don't know what kind of a team comes back, but I would imagine it should still be somewhat decent.
          78-65

Comment

I won't be laughing or crying, but I will be rooting for UNI to win this game. SFA was 32-3 last year including a win over VCU in the NCAA Tournament. Granted that record was put up against a SOS rated at #260 and in a conference ranked #27 in RPI. The Lumberjacks have lost a couple of good scoring guards plus a 6-5 starting SF who averaged 10 PPG and 5 RPG from that team and they are not real big. UNI should win this game despite it being on the road.

Now if UNI loses this game I'll have to re-evaluate the whole laughing or crying thing. More than likely I will be cussing.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              The time sucks, but that should be a very good game for Northern Iowa. SFA was 32-3 last year, not losing again after November until the NCAA Tournament.They beat VCU in the 5-12 game before losing to UCLA in the Round of 32. I know their coach, Brad Underwood, got overtures for bigger jobs but decided to stay put. I don't know what kind of a team comes back, but I would imagine it should still be somewhat decent.
              I was mostly referring to the time. I don't really like our 1 PM game but at least it's against Memphis and it's a once-per-year marquee game in a neutral arena.

Unless SFA puts together a much better non-con this year (hopefully they've learned), they are just as likely to have a ~50 RPI as a ~100+ RPI. When the schedule is that bad one extra loss or two can cause a huge fluctuation in the RPI.

UNI's problems the last year or two have been that they've scheduled too tough (they had a harder non-con than us last year.) Jacobson isn't a huge turd like some other Valley coaches. Maybe UNI needed this game and I can't really fault them for it if they needed it to build the at-large resume. But based on past history, this game looks like an unnecessary risk that could do a lot more damage than good.

Comment

Game times have almost become irrelevant in this day of DVR and ESPN3 replays. If there is a game you want to watch you can pretty much watch it on your own terms as far at a time slot is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Game times have almost become irrelevant in this day of DVR and ESPN3 replays. If there is a game you want to watch you can pretty much watch it on your own terms as far at a time slot is concerned.
                  Try sitting in Wichita during March 2013, trying to avoid hearing anything about a certain Elite Eight game that night. I told my group to not say anything in case they wanted to check their phones. Unfortunately, the rest of the establishment where I was didn't get that memo.
                  78-65

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    They don't matter if you want to watch your team, they matter if you want other people to watch your team. UNI/Stephen F Austin is going to draw about the same amount of viewers as a game on FS1 in primetime on a Saturday (~150k.) Our game against Memphis is going to draw about ~500k.

Comment

Waiting three more months is really gonna suck.

Comment

They don't matter if you want to watch your team, they matter if you want other people to watch your team. UNI/Stephen F Austin is going to draw about the same amount of viewers as a game on FS1 in primetime on a Saturday (~150k.) Our game against Memphis is going to draw about ~500k.
                        Do you really think UNI/SFA would draw much more if they were playing at 1:00PM instead of 8:00AM? Maybe a little, but I doubt the difference would be significant. The reason WSU vs Memphis will draw big numbers is more due to the quality and brand of the teams than the time slot IMHO. Of course, that's why the WSU game is at a preferred time slot.

Comment

Should be fun...Memphis will most likely go:

PG - Pookie Powell (four-star player)
                          G/F - Markel Crawford (four-star player)
                          G/F - Nick King (four-star player)
                          F - Austin Nichols (five-star player)
                          F - Shaq Goodwin (McDonalds All-American)
                          -----------------------
                          PG/G - Dom Magee (four-star player)
                          G/F - Kuran Iverson (four-star player)
                          G/F - Trahson Burrell (three-star player)
                          C - Dom Woodson (four-star player)
                          ------transfers------
                          G - Avery Woodson (CC Transfer)
                          G/F - Chris Hawkins (CC Transfer)

Comment

Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                            Should be fun...Memphis will most likely go:

PG - Pookie Powell (four-star player)
                            G/F - Markel Crawford (four-star player)
                            G/F - Nick King (four-star player)
                            F - Austin Nichols (five-star player)
                            F - Shaq Goodwin (McDonalds All-American)
                            -----------------------
                            PG/G - Dom Magee (four-star player)
                            G/F - Kuran Iverson (four-star player)
                            G/F - Trahson Burrell (three-star player)
                            C - Dom Woodson (four-star player)
                            ------transfers------
                            G - Avery Woodson (CC Transfer)
                            G/F - Chris Hawkins (CC Transfer)
                            Thanks for the rundown. What is a reasonable expectation for Memphis this year with so many new faces? Bubble at-large/NIT team sounds right at first glance but I'd be curious what your take is.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                              Thanks for the rundown. What is a reasonable expectation for Memphis this year with so many new faces? Bubble at-large/NIT team sounds right at first glance but I'd be curious what your take is.
                              22-23 regular season wins, 1-1 AAC tourney, 8-9 seed in the NCAAs.

That's a 'way too early', 'if I had to guess' type prediction.

Our front court will be REALLY strong with Shaq Goodwin, Austin Nichols, and Nick King. (Along with Woodson/Iverson off the bench)

Comment

Working...
                              X