Shockervision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockervision

I accidently posted this in the welcome to shockernet thread so feel free to delete that one mods.

So I am thinking about canceling my terribly overpriced cable service, and the only thing holding me back is not being able to watch most Shocker games fromhome. How is the quality of Shockervision? I have seen many people on here complain about the quality, but has it gotten any better? I could always go to a sports bar, but that would negate all my saving from canceling my cable? Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I cut my cable tv/DirectTV cord a year or so ago; in Oregon, I've used Shockernet and Apple TV airplay without issue. Away games get trickier, but I believe I watched all but 2 games last year. So, if you can find a way to watch away games, it's a good deal, IMO.

Comment

As of last year the quality is pretty good. They sometimes forget to hit the sound switch though.
      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

How does Shockervision work in regards to play back functionality? I work odd hours and cannot often watch real-time and need to watch an hour or two later. So my questions are does it have play back functionality and if so how soon can you start watching a recorded event? If it's not available until the following day then I probably wouldn't be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          How does Shockervision work in regards to play back functionality? I work odd hours and cannot often watch real-time and need to watch an hour or two later. So my questions are does it have play back functionality and if so how soon can you start watching a recorded event? If it's not available until the following day then I probably wouldn't be interested.
          Pass then. It used to archive, but hasn't for two years.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
            Thanks that's very useful info.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
              Right. And it's ludicrous. What ends up happening, if you're only using shockervision to watch men's basketball, is that it's cheaper to buy day passes or month to month instead of a year pass. I would pay a year subscription if it were archived. Last year, I timed it that I would buy a month and whenever it ended I would just wait to buy another month until the next home game. It ended up being much cheaper than a year subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                Right. And it's ludicrous. What ends up happening, if you're only using shockervision to watch men's basketball, is that it's cheaper to buy day passes or month to month instead of a year pass. I would pay a year subscription if it were archived. Last year, I timed it that I would buy a month and whenever it ended I would just wait to buy another month until the next home game. It ended up being much cheaper than a year subscription.
                I usually do month-to-month, from Sept/Oct through April/May. But I like to catch some volleyball and baseball games, too. My only complaint is that there is no score widget, so you almost need to have a score-tracker up as well.

Comment

I've been a Shockervision subscriber for many years. Last year I think I may have only watched 1 or 2 games on it due to all the games on ESPN360. Now with Roku/AppleTV, combined with more games on cable, there may only be a couple games a year where you have to turn to Shockervision as the only source. If I were you, I would get an Apple TV box and pay Shockervision on a game/game basis. The catch with Apple is that you have to have a cable subscriber ID to get the games. As for Shockervision quality - huge improvement last year, it's a decent alternative when there are no others.

Comment

I really appreciate the responses. I have used ESPN 3 many times and it works great for the most part. I think I will go ahead and cancel. Now I need to figure out how to watch The Walking Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I've been a Shockervision subscriber for many years. Last year I think I may have only watched 1 or 2 games on it due to all the games on ESPN360. Now with Roku/AppleTV, combined with more games on cable, there may only be a couple games a year where you have to turn to Shockervision as the only source. If I were you, I would get an Apple TV box and pay Shockervision on a game/game basis. The catch with Apple is that you have to have a cable subscriber ID to get the games. As for Shockervision quality - huge improvement last year, it's a decent alternative when there are no others.
                      By the way, Boston, ATT is not an approved cable subscriber.

It is very frustrating.

ATT U-Verse powers ESPN3, but for some unimaginable reason, ATT is not an approved cable subscriber.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

You won't get any ESPN3 programs if you drop cable TV (or don't have one of the cable providers that are required).
                        "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                          By the way, Boston, ATT is not an approved cable subscriber.

It is very frustrating.

ATT U-Verse powers ESPN3, but for some unimaginable reason, ATT is not an approved cable subscriber.
                          That wasn't true last season. I had uverse and watched many a game on espn3 via apple TV. So I know for certain att was an approved cable provider last season. I've since moved and will be able to watch games on espn3 without blackouts!

Comment

What does a year of middle-of-the-road cable TV package go for these days per annum? $1000-$1500? WSU season tickets start at roughly $500 pp all-in. The lowest SASO tier plus current demand means your ticket choices at that price point will nearly be counted with fingers and toes, and the view might stink, but you'd be there in person.

Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              What does a year of middle-of-the-road cable TV package go for these days per annum? $1000-$1500? WSU season tickets start at roughly $500 pp all-in. The lowest SASO tier plus current demand means your ticket choices at that price point will nearly be counted with fingers and toes, and the view might stink, but you'd be there in person.

Food for thought.
                              While interesting, it has almost no bearing on the cable package. Tickets are for one person. Cable is for however many you can fit in your house. Ticket packages are for home games only. If you want to watch away games you STILL have to purchase the cable package.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X