Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I out of the loop regarding Eric Hamilton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I out of the loop regarding Eric Hamilton?

I heard a rumor a few months ago that perhaps Eric Hamilton was asked to either play at a prep school this year, go elsewhere, or not take a scholarship this year. I can certainly understand where the coaching staff would want him to give up his scholarship if they had no intention of him playing this year. Can anybody here confirm or deny that, though? I'm curious.

I believe that Eric and the staff have agreed to a certain direction for his career next year. That direction is that he will spend next year working on his game but not playing for the Shockers.

The first and obvious answer was a red shirt. With the addition of a 14th scholarship player (Nurger) speculation shifted to a year of prep school. However, I believe that Nurger qualifies as a nu recruited walk-on capable of earning academic scholarship. This would mean that a schollie is available to Hamilton as promised. Since Eric is on campus and working with the team, I think he will red shirt.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

The first and obvious answer was a red shirt. With the addition of a 14th scholarship player (Nurger) speculation shifted to a year of prep school. However, I believe that Nurger qualifies as a nu recruited walk-on capable of earning academic scholarship. This would mean that a schollie is available to Hamilton as promised. Since Eric is on campus and working with the team, I think he will red shirt.
      Do you know what are the requirements for giving an academic scholarship to someone on the team? I thought that was basically not an option but are there certain circumstances where it is allowed? Thanks.
      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

However, I believe that Nurger qualifies as a nu recruited walk-on capable of earning academic scholarship. This would mean that a schollie is available to Hamilton as promised.
        Wait... what? Really? That's awesome. I must have also been out of the loop. Is this the general consensus now?

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
          Do you know what are the requirements for giving an academic scholarship to someone on the team? I thought that was basically not an option but are there certain circumstances where it is allowed? Thanks.
          Dr. Cameron Ledford was a Gore scholar when he was a walk-on.
          78-65

Comment

So is Nurger a Gore or Barton scholarship recipient? Gawd this deadhorse always comes to life.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              Wait... what? Really? That's awesome. I must have also been out of the loop. Is this the general consensus now?
              I don't believe there is a general consensus -- although it really doesn't matter even if there is, considering the amount of access we have to the actual decision makers. We just don't know yet, but school isn't that far away, which means we'll be finding out fairly soon.

Comment

As I recall the NCAA's definition of "un-recruited":

Coaches can make no off-cmpus contact with the recruit. Recruit cannot take an official visit to the campus.

Coaches can observe the recruit off-campus any number of times - just can't make contact. Recruit can take any number of unofficial campus visits, and coaches can contact them during any unofficial visits. With Sunrise just 5 miles away from WSU, unofficial visits are not difficult.

Nurger may be "un-recruited". I doubt any of us know if any member of the coaching staff ever talked with Nurger off campus. As long as an un-recruited" player does not get an athletic scholarship, that player does not count against the limit of 13 scholarship players.
                Last edited by Aargh; July 21, 2014, 12:04 PM.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                  I believe that the process has to be blind to a person athletic skills when awarding a academic scholarship. The school has to attest to “was granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability.” If you search for stuff in quotations you will find a link to the NCAA manual and what is a "counter". I'm not a compliance person or lawyer so others probably describe the legality of it - but I do know that is how some schools get around the baseball scholarship limitations.
                  Last edited by SB Shock; July 21, 2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

My understanding is that Nurger would qualify as unrecruited since he was committed to Ole Miss prior to his prep season. Marshall would not have made any contact with Nurger. It is likely that his roommate (Zack Brown) told him to consider the Shockers once he opened his recruitment. Now whether or not he qualifies for other academic aid is beyond me, but it is certainly a possibility, and a likely one at that. If not, he should qualify for in state tuition since he had a legal residence in Kansas for one year prior to starting school.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

It is safe to say that everyone outside the program is out of the loop.
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                        It is safe to say that everyone outside the program is out of the loop.
                        Is it?

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                          Dr. Cameron Ledford was a Gore scholar when he was a walk-on.
                          I forgot about Cam. What a great person.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            Is it?
                            Maybe not everyone, but the vast majority are.

Comment

I believe that Eric and the staff have agreed to a certain direction for his career next year. That direction is that he will spend next year working on his game but not playing for the Shockers.

Do we know for a fact that Eric is participating in the organized portion of the off-season practices? If he is, then that would be an indication he will be at WSU this year, although probably taking a redshirt. Can he participate in these pre-season organized workouts and still decidre to go the Prep route? I don't know. I think it is pretty clear that he can play in the pick-up games without impacting his alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                              X