Redshirt or Sunrise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redshirt or Sunrise?

Which would you rather see utilized for a talented recruit when no time can be found in year 1?

Discuss
    Sunrise Academy
    31.15%
    Redshirt at WSU
    68.85%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Which would you rather see utilized for a talented recruit when no time can be found in year 1?

Discuss
    I like redshirting over sending a recruit to Sunrise. Redshirting allows the recruit to learn the system and locks him into our program. To send him to Sunrise reopens the recruiting door for others. If that recruit is highly valued it stands to be a higher risk than redshirting as we may lose out on a sought after recruit. JMHO

Comment

Selfishly, I would like for the player to redshirt within the program for the reasons @shocksrbest: mentioned. For the player, it might be better to go to Sunrise as to save that redshirt year for the future, no matter where he might end up.

Comment

I like the Sunrise option. If the player can't get time as a freshman, then it is probably best for the player to have options and best for the program to be able to offer that schollie elsewhere. I think this is a fine option for the non-elite recruit and it allows said recruit to remain hungry for D-I ball and gain maturity without some of the down feelings that might accompany the realization that you can't compete in games as an 18 year old.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I prefer the redshirt year in most circumstances. Prefer Sunrise over a Juco placement due to qualifying issues. Now if we happened to be over the scholarship limit, Sunrise is a good option. :).

Comment

redshirt option seems like the best for WSU

Comment

redshirts requires a skollie, however

Comment

I like redshirting because: a) The speed of the game at WSU is far different than the speed at high school (even at practices), so a year in adapting to the new speed is benefit, b) the coaching is better, c) additional time to learn the system, d) specialized weight training for a year, e) the risk of them being Larry Browned is reduced, f) getting to know the other guys while traveling builds team chemistry.

The downsides to redshirting that I can think of are: a) They get less game time, b) the risk of off the court troubles are greater in college -- especially while they are somewhat idle, c) can burn a scholly that might be useful elsewhere, d) if they get injured mid season you haven't already burned a redshirt.

If we had a special senior recruit that we would miss out on due to a redshirt, that might sway me otherwise, but other than that unique scenario I'd probably want most players as a redshirt.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

That's a GREAT question. Wow. Well, obviously redshirtin has the afore-mentioned advantages of being in the program for a year and learning the system and expectations. But at the same time, goin to Sunrise allows for actual game situations. It hopefully also helps players keep their competitive edge. It seems dead even, but the tiebreaker goes to Sunrise: that being that the player isn't taking a scholarship.

Comment

Good answer.......good answer. I'm going to keep my eye on you.

Comment

Just thinking about Ron Baker and the fact he redshirted and this year he's an academic senior. If he goes after this year, I'd sway over to sunrise as the answer.
                      I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                      If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

I go with redshirting for the above mentioned reasons, most notably in that it opens the recruiting process again. That is the deciding factor IMO.

The one thing about our current upward recruiting trajectory though, is while some of the recruits that we have signed may be of the caliber for past teams, are they good enough for where we expect to be in the future? I suppose those types of problems have already existed and been dealt with, but I can see where it becomes a problem.
                        Go Shocks!

Comment

I think the key word in the question is "talented". Even then, it would depend on just how loyal the player is. Is he FVV or Zach Brown loyal? If so, and that scholarship could be better utilized, then I prefer Sunrise. Otherwise, I want them safely tucked away in CKA's weight room and practice gym.

Comment

Originally posted by LandStander View Post
                            Just thinking about Ron Baker and the fact he redshirted and this year he's an academic senior. If he goes after this year, I'd sway over to sunrise as the answer.
                            Haha.

Seriously though, I have no problem with a roster full of "academic seniors" who are talented enough to leave after their "junior" year for the NBA Draft. Probably better than being an "academic junior" who doesn't have his degree and leaves.

In fact, with the Marshall system, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer a 3rd year draft level player over a one-and-done.

Comment

There is another factor that a player might consider although some might say a minor consideration. What is the best educational option for the young man? Perhaps a year in prep school would be of benefit to the player in terms of his education needs and maybe prepare him for the rigors of classes and basketball at the D-1 level over the next 4 years so he is more likely to stay eligible once he is part of the team.

Of course, it doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling that the young man could re-open his recruiting and leave you standing at the alter.

The proper answer will probably vary from player to player. For Ron Baker the decision to redshirt at WSU was clearly the way to go (especially with hindsight). For Eric Hamilton. Who knows. In Gregg I Trust (not that I have any choice).

Comment

Working...
                              X