Success in 2014-15: Define and Discuss, Por Favor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success in 2014-15: Define and Discuss, Por Favor

Mostly I just wanted a place to post that I booked flight/hotel this morning for next year's Final Four in Indy and am super stoked about it.

With that out of the way...what sort of season would it take for you to consider the year ahead a "success" when it's all said and done? I know we all love the platitudes of "nobody gets hurt," "the young men try their best," "represent the school and community well," "seniors all graduate," etc., so let's just assume that those are implied in every response. W-L Records, postseason accomplishments and so on are really what I'm looking for here.

Another way to put it would be: what is the floor for the upcoming season where you, as a fan, would be satisfied with the end result?

This program is in such an awesome place right now, and I can remember many seasons on here where the most common answer would have been "avoid Friday in St. Louis." Really makes a fella thankful for what we've got.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, ShockerNet.

I really hate to "expect" perfection, it's not fair to anyone.

My floor would be 9-3 non con, 15-3 conference, winning St Louis and winning 1 game in the dance. 28-6....any worse and I'm probably wondered who got hurt.

Comment

I have a hard time imagining disappointment with Baker and Van Vleet on the team.

But, I think if we don't win our marquee games in the non con, I will be disappointed, I guess.

I want to get to the sweet 16 again.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I'm very similar to the Doctor. I'd like to see no more than 3 conference losses and another 3-win weekend in St. Louis. In terms of player aspirations, I'd like to see Ron and Tekele lighting it up from everywhere as well as Fred continuing his alley-oop dimes to some of our newly acquired athletic freaks. As for the NCAA tournament, I would definitely prefer no lower than a 4 seed (like seeding really matters that much to our Shockers) and at least a Sweet 16 appearance. It will be a very fun season.

Comment

National championship

Comment

We lose one non-con, 2 conference games, but win the tournament in the Lou. at least an Elite 8 appearance with the possibility of a finalist in the National Championship game...just enough to bring Ron back for his Senior year, as well as a great send-off for Tekele.

Comment

Mine is kind of all-encompassing.

*25+ wins
              *valley and tournament champs
              *sweet 16
              * commitment from a 4-5 star recruit
              *1st round draft pick next june

As far as discussing, I think doing these things is very possible, and will continue to legitimize our program. I dont think the entire season will be a waste if one or two of the above does not happen, but I would be a little disappointed. What a good problem to have though.
              Last edited by Mr. Pickle; July 7, 2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pickle View Post

*1st round draft pick next june...on all draft simulation boards who announces he will return to WSU to play his senior year
                FYP (unless you meant Tekele/Carter in which case look out!)
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  I really hate to "expect" perfection, it's not fair to anyone.

My floor would be 9-3 non con, 15-3 conference, winning St Louis and winning 1 game in the dance. 28-6....any worse and I'm probably wondered who got hurt.
                  I am very similar to Doc but I am a two gamer in the Dance with at least a Sweet 16 every four years.
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Tremendous core to build upon with Fred, Ron, Tekele, Darius and Evan (?) returning. A lot of fresh meat being added to the mix. Rian Holland, Shaq Morris, Bush Wamukota, Tevin Glass, Rashard Kelly, Zach Brown, Corey Henderson, Rauno Nurger and Zach Brown. Someone will either be paying their own way or will not be on the roster.

We know we have tremendous talent in Fred, Ron, Tekele and Darius. Outside of that we would appear to have a tremendous amount of raw material for 3G to mold, but at least from my perspective, it is still inexperienced and unproven raw material as far a D-1 basketball is concerned. Replacing Cleanthony's production will not be easy.

I trust with Fred, Ron and Tekele's leadership that team chemistry should not be an issue although hard to predict just how good it will be with so many newcomers.

I will be satisfied if at the end of the year if Coach Marshall says he is satisfied.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 8, 2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                      FYP (unless you meant Tekele/Carter in which case look out!)
                      My goodness that would be awesome. But unfortunately I think that would only happen if he got hurt or had a poor year. If he stays healthy and tears it up this year like I think he will, then he might be a lottery pick. Tekele may get drafted just purely off of badassness alone.

Comment

Sweet sixteen. New players including Shaq showing great potential..

Comment

Success this years for me looks like:

FVV clowns on the global warming alarmists during another high school speech.

Ron gets his own line of women's sunglasses named after him.

ADES gets yet another national award for having one of the very top athletic departments in the country and gets a 25% uplift of support from his very own fan base -- bringing his total approval rate up to 35%.

HC3GM gets a restaurant in Wichita.

Tekele gets DPOY and POY unless FVV gets POY. Then Tekele gets DPOY, 1st team, and NCAA tournament MVP!
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Ceiling - National Championship. We have a legitimate shot at playing for the national championship.

Floor - Agree with @WuDrWu: that 28-6 is the floor.

2 All-Americans (1st and/or 2nd teams), and the national defensive POY (Commando Cotton).
                            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I think 3G will do what he has every year since he was hired at WSU - Raise the bar...again.

Comment

Working...
                              X