Player/Team analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player/Team analysis

Just my rambling thoughts on our current, healthy personnel and what I think their ideal role on a team should be.

Braeuer - What can one say? He's the heart and soul of this team and probably one of two players who is a natural fit for his position. With only a few exceptions, is probably the only player who I have a hard time finding any fault with, game in, game out.

Mekel - He's still young and has had a lot put on his shoulders this year due to adversity. Has the skills of a PG, but lacks the quickness to be effective and doesn't seem to understand how the game is played at that position in USA, D-1 basketball. A misfit, if you will. He should probably be a first-guard-off-the-bench type of player.

Couisnard - A gifted athlete who is perhaps a little undersized given his skillset. Every game he tends to lose focus a time or two with a bad reach-in foul or charge. Seems to be most effective when he has teammates on the floor that can compliment his level of play. He's a good fit for his swingman position.

Clemente - He does one thing very well - rebound. Brings lots of energy to the floor. But he's small for a PF. His shooting form is poor and as a result has trouble finishing. He relies too much on a quick release being the best chance for the shot to go in. Ideally, Ramon should be a quality backup PF, a spark off the bench.

Thomasson - Decent all-around forward playing center. Good jumper and can beat a defender to the basket. Like PJ, can lose focus and pick up the proverbial "dumb foul". He's starting PF material if you have a pretty good center.

Durley - Prototypical PF on offense. Prototypical juco player on defense. For all the flashes of brilliance, there's something missing or wrong. Whether it's attitude, effort or whatever, isn't ready to be in a regular D-1 rotation.

Ellis - A small-forward in a combo-forward's body. He's decently athletic and can shoot relatively well. But doesn't quite understand how to play at this level yet. At this point in his career, Aaron should be red-shirting.

Harris, Preadom - Walk-on or D2-caliber players being asked to do more than they are equipped to handle, although Lance has stepped up and gotten the most of his ability.

When I look at this team and see only two players (MB, PJ) who are playing their suited positions, it is no wonder we struggle to score, keep the other team from scoring, and end up with post players in foul trouble. Combine that with what appears to be a lack of in-game toughness and determination when the other team puts up a fight, and you have a coach's nightmare.

While I have my preferences with how some players should be handled in the offseason, I'll accept whatever changes Marshall and his staff feel need to be made, even if I don't agree.

nailed it
    ________
    Zoroastrianism advice
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Re: Player/Team analysis

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      Just my rambling thoughts on our current, healthy personnel and what I think their ideal role on a team should be.

Braeuer - What can one say? He's the heart and soul of this team and probably one of two players who is a natural fit for his position. With only a few exceptions, is probably the only player who I have a hard time finding any fault with, game in, game out.

Mekel - He's still young and has had a lot put on his shoulders this year due to adversity. Has the skills of a PG, but lacks the quickness to be effective and doesn't seem to understand how the game is played at that position in USA, D-1 basketball. A misfit, if you will. He should probably be a first-guard-off-the-bench type of player.

Couisnard - A gifted athlete who is perhaps a little undersized given his skillset. Every game he tends to lose focus a time or two with a bad reach-in foul or charge. Seems to be most effective when he has teammates on the floor that can compliment his level of play. He's a good fit for his swingman position.

Clemente - He does one thing very well - rebound. Brings lots of energy to the floor. But he's small for a PF. His shooting form is poor and as a result has trouble finishing. He relies too much on a quick release being the best chance for the shot to go in. Ideally, Ramon should be a quality backup PF, a spark off the bench.

Thomasson - Decent all-around forward playing center. Good jumper and can beat a defender to the basket. Like PJ, can lose focus and pick up the proverbial "dumb foul". He's starting PF material if you have a pretty good center.

Durley - Prototypical PF on offense. Prototypical juco player on defense. For all the flashes of brilliance, there's something missing or wrong. Whether it's attitude, effort or whatever, isn't ready to be in a regular D-1 rotation.

Ellis - A small-forward in a combo-forward's body. He's decently athletic and can shoot relatively well. But doesn't quite understand how to play at this level yet. At this point in his career, Aaron should be red-shirting.

Harris, Preadom - Walk-on or D2-caliber players being asked to do more than they are equipped to handle, although Lance has stepped up and gotten the most of his ability.

When I look at this team and see only two players (MB, PJ) who are playing their suited positions, it is no wonder we struggle to score, keep the other team from scoring, and end up with post players in foul trouble. Combine that with what appears to be a lack of in-game toughness and determination when the other team puts up a fight, and you have a coach's nightmare.

While I have my preferences with how some players should be handled in the offseason, I'll accept whatever changes Marshall and his staff feel need to be made, even if I don't agree.
      Very well stated Royal.

Comment

Re: Player/Team analysis

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Best analysis yet!

Comment

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Good post

Comment

I think it's time we reinvent ourselves...a large influx of new bodies will do a lot to improve our situation.

Comment

Well, that's the hope.

The only thing we know is that this team isn't very good.

What we don't know is if the players coming in will fare any better. Personally, after one more transition year, I think they will.

Comment

Tell me again, does Matt REALLY have to leave us?

:cry:

He's lightning in a bottle.

The good news is, we've got Ramon and his incredible effort for one more season.

Comment

I think at this point next year we are asking ourselves if anyone thought Ramon could be this good. IIRC, he didn't play BB much in HS. He is learning a lot, and learning quickly. Take into account his injured finger, and I think he is farther along than this during this season. He still seems to have his finger in the back of his head and hasn't been going very strong to the basket.

I hope he gets to work with Paul over the summer along with Stutz and (COUGH) Ehimen.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

I hope Stutz gets to work with him over the summer along with (COUGH) Ehimen.
                    fixed

Comment

Interesting article on GoShockers.com. Not the content so much. Nothing really new there. Perhaps sending a message to the fan base the JT will be back next year.

Feature Story...Limited by injury last season, J.T. Durley is making an impact this year

Now that Durley is back on his feet, Shocker fans can expect big things in the seasons to come.
                      Seemed just a little different than the normal fare you see on GoShockers.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                        Interesting article on GoShockers.com. Not the content so much. Nothing really new there. Perhaps sending a message to the fan base the JT will be back next year.

Feature Story...Limited by injury last season, J.T. Durley is making an impact this year

Now that Durley is back on his feet, Shocker fans can expect big things in the seasons to come.
                        Seemed just a little different than the normal fare you see on GoShockers.com
                        Damage Control 101! :good:
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Interesting to me that Marshall isn't quoted.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

RoyalShock's take is as good as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                              Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

I hope Stutz gets to work with him over the summer along with (COUGH) Ehimen.
                              fixed
                              Now it's broken.

I hope Ramon, Garrett, and Ehimen get to practice against and work with Paul over the summer. That is hoping that Paul is back in town again this summer. It would be good for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X