Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Top 50 Coaches # 8 - Gregg Marshall

CBB Front Page - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Editor’s note: During the next five weeks, we will reveal the top 50 coaches in college basketball, as decided by our ESPN Forecast panel. Today we unveil No.

Pretty Sweet!

My bad, I see this was already posted in another thread. Still think it deserves it own though!
    Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

:poster_wu:
    Last edited by ripemupshocks; June 25, 2014, 01:50 PM.
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

“He’s not going to be content until he gets a national championship with Wichita State.”
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

So I was pondering the other day and came to the realization that we will probably have to win (or at least make) a national championship in the next two years to keep 3G. I feel we are getting pretty close to his situation at Winthrop. He left because he reached the ceiling and couldn't assemble a better team and get better results. Most would argue that he's probably in the same situation here. It's going to be pretty hard for him to match or succeed the team he currently has. If he's not able to win it all with this group he may feel he's reached his ceiling here too

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
          So I was pondering the other day and came to the realization that we will probably have to win (or at least make) a national championship in the next two years to keep 3G. I feel we are getting pretty close to his situation at Winthrop. He left because he reached the ceiling and couldn't assemble a better team and get better results. Most would argue that he's probably in the same situation here. It's going to be pretty hard for him to match or succeed the team he currently has. If he's not able to win it all with this group he may feel he's reached his ceiling here too
          When your "ceiling" is losing extremely close games to teams that play in the national championship game, you just have to keep taking your teams to the tournament and eventually things will fall your way.

Comment

Forgive me, but that mentality sounds a little closer to Marshall's predecessor here. I think Marshall has proven there is no ceiling at Wichita State, and he knows it.
            Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Using this logic, when does Thad Matta realize he has hit his ceiling at Ohio State and move on?
              78-65

Comment

Totally disagree with this. This year 3G has his best recruiting class coming in. It took him this long to get to the point where he was able to attract this type of talent. The talent he is now recruiting for the future is even better. 3G knows he can be a regular in the NCAA. He also knows he can compete with any team in the country. The hard part is done (building the program), now he just needs the chips to fall his way because he can be a title contender here at WSU and it doesn't necessarily have to happen int he next couple years. We just need to make sure he continues to get the support and pay so he has no excuse to leave.

Comment

No. No. No.

He left Winthrop because there were limitations of what Winthrop could provide, and playing in a lousy conference made NCAA seeding miserable.

At Winthrop
                  • he couldn’t field a national championship level team
                  • he couldn’t earn a quality seed in the NCAA Tournament
                  At WSU he can do both of those. 67 out of 68 teams end their Big Dance with a loss. The fact that he can be in the hunt year-in-year-out is what he really wants, and is what makes his current situation completely different from his last job. There could be better offers out there, and he might even take one, but it won’t be a comparable situation to his Winthrop to WSU jump.

Comment

As great as FVV, Baker and Early are...

Im going to go ahead and predict that there will be others better....

Perhaps even on this roster.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

We were a #1 seed, there is no ceiling.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                        No. No. No.

He left Winthrop because there were limitations of what Winthrop could provide, and playing in a lousy conference made NCAA seeding miserable.

At Winthrop
                        • he couldn’t field a national championship level team
                        • he couldn’t earn a quality seed in the NCAA Tournament
                        At WSU he can do both of those. 67 out of 68 teams end their Big Dance with a loss. The fact that he can be in the hunt year-in-year-out is what he really wants, and is what makes his current situation completely different from his last job. There could be better offers out there, and he might even take one, but it won’t be a comparable situation to his Winthrop to WSU jump.
                        I mostly agree with your statements. But if the MVC doesn't get multiple NCAA bids this coming season and continues to tank AND we have to go undefeated to get a #1 seed... Though it's not exactly like the Winthrop situation, it would be a great irritant and make a coach like GM very antsy.

Comment

Um, what he's done here is pretty much the ceiling at ANY division 1 school. He's gotten Final Fours, Top 2 rankings, 1 seeds in the NCAAs, undefeated seasons, etc, although that last one probably wouldn't be attainable at another school.

Your reasoning is pretty flaky.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
                            I mostly agree with your statements. But if the MVC doesn't get multiple NCAA bids this coming season and continues to tank AND we have to go undefeated to get a #1 seed... Though it's not exactly like the Winthrop situation, it would be a great irritant and make a coach like GM very antsy.
                            Lack of competition from the MVC might push him out.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                              We were a #1 seed, there is no ceiling.
                              This.

He left Winthrop over having a dominant team that still got a bottom of the dumpster kind of seed. He was in an extreme type of condition.

At WSU, you can have a dominant team and get a 1 seed. The difference between these two situations is huge.

The only thing you gain at a blue blood is the recruiting edge and the scheduling edge. Not money because Sexton pays the man well, not fans because we rock, and the last few seasons have proven that you can win big and gain real respect here too.

Well, Marshall accounts for those first two issues with his own talent for running a program. Most coaches could not do what he has done. He doesn't need a recruiting edge. He takes regular talent and coaches them into 5 stars. He takes 3 stars who are unnoticed 4 and 5 stars because he can see what others can't. We are so lucky. WSU will win a national title with Gregg Marshall.

Comment

Working...
                              X