Mid Major Coaches Not Moving On Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Major Coaches Not Moving On Up

The "It" coaches' names come up seemingly any time a job opens. But what's the rush? More and more coaches are asking if the grass is really greener.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Good article in general. One thing that stood out to me.

Originally posted by ESPN
    Four years ago, after Ali Farokhmanesh stuck a dagger in Kansas' heart, Northern Iowa actually looked at the numbers, comparing before and after Farokhmanesh's daring 3-pointer went in. The school found a 1,577 percent increase in online sales, a 267 percent increase in unique visitors to the school's website and a 30 percent increase in calls to the admissions office on the day after UNI beat Kansas.

With that sort of research and just anecdotal evidence to go on, schools are investing more in their basketball budgets. According to the Department of Education's most recent gender-equity numbers, Villanova's basketball operating expenses were $7.39 million and Wichita State's were $5.36 million. VCU came in at $5.05 million.
    Has UNI (and the rest of the MVC for that matter) actually acted on this "realization" that basketball budgets can have a good ROI, or was it just a cool "whoa, that's neat!" type of thing that got ignored?

Comment

As with most investments, there is risk involved, and long-term investment is the best way to create a decent return. I don't think any of the other schools in the league have been willing to take the sustained investment risk it takes to build a program that provides return.

Comment

Here is a companion story. It begins with Fred Hoiberg. Scroll down to the piece about Coach Marshall.

Editor’s note: Some coaches’ names always seem to come up for other jobs. But what would it take for them to actually leave? This week, we’ll look at the names most often mentioned.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Deja vu all over again.
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Somewhat related. ESPN is doing a top 50 coaches count down. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

They are at #18 and haven't listed HCGM yet. Can't wait to see how high they rank him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockthemonkey View Post
              Somewhat related. ESPN is doing a top 50 coaches count down. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

They are at #18 and haven't listed HCGM yet. Can't wait to see how high they rank him.
              Here: shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?18449-An-Informal-Poll-or-What-Is-Your-Guess

And here: shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?18509-ESPN-Coaching-Poll-Where-does-Marshall-rank
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Why did they ask Wright about all this?

He is already at a high major BIG EAST progrum.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                  Deja vu all over again.
                  Anybody hear anything about Orupke?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                    Anybody hear anything about Orupke?
                    No, what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                      No, what happened?
                      Will he ever get out of Lagos and get here?
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I hear he shats lightning and is 9ft tall
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Working...
                        X