USA Today's Finance Analysis of Athletic Departments - WSU ranked 104

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Today's Finance Analysis of Athletic Departments - WSU ranked 104

Which are the most profitable college athletic programs in the country? See a ranked listed, including total revenue and expenses. Brought to you by USA TODAY.

Revenues

Expenses

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

We've made some really good progress the last 10 years. Looking forward to more increases in rights/licensing and fewer increases in ticket sales/contributions. :)

Comment

Thanks for the link. Would love to be able to sort by w/ football and w/o football. Bet we sit pretty peachy in that ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Thanks for the link. Would love to be able to sort by w/ football and w/o football. Bet we sit pretty peachy in that ranking.
        One thing I noticed was NDSU lower than us, and they're national champs at D-II level. So even without football we're higher ranked than a team with a NC caliber D2 program.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          One thing I noticed was NDSU lower than us, and they're national champs at D-II level. So even without football we're higher ranked than a team with a NC caliber D2 program.
          Yeah, we're even in front of most schools with D1 FCS football, and even some with low-level D1 FBS football.

A quick and dirty look at those in front of us seems to indicate VCU as the only school w/o football that is spending or earning more than WSU, and their margin on us is relatively insignificant.

Comment

By far, the most major accomplishment of that chart is how we've been able to double our expenses without a significant raise in student-allocated fees. Twice as much "stuff" for our programs and the financing has not been on the backs of the general student population.

Comment

Originally posted by sdshox View Post
              By far, the most major accomplishment of that chart is how we've been able to double our expenses without a significant raise in student-allocated fees. Twice as much "stuff" for our programs and the financing has not been on the backs of the general student population.
              Check out VCU in this regard. Roughly 2/3rds of their budget is student fees. Wow, talk about a house built on sand.

Our overall numbers are also way more healthy than theirs.

Comment

Indiana State - $7.6 million of their budget from "student fees." Ouch.

Comment

One wonders if they made this clear to the student body if they might actually attend some of the sporting events they are paying for.

Comment

Essentially all of the other MVC schools on the list (which is actually only public universities) have a much, much larger proportion of their budget allocated on the backs of the students. And in all the other legitimate revenue streams (tickets sales, contributions, licensing) WSU nukes their MVC brethren.

None of this is a shock, but it is a reminder of what a poor fit WSU is in the MVC. We're the shark in the farm pond.

Comment

Old Dominion - $37M total revenues of which $27M is student fees

VCU - $26.5M total revenues of which $17.5M is student fees

It is akin to running a business on a credit card.

Comment

Old Dominion - $37M total revenues of which $27M is student fees

VCU - $26.5M total revenues of which $17.5M is student fees

It is akin to running a business on a credit card.
                        Akin? I'd say literally. I'd gaurantee that a majority of those fees are paid with some sort of financial aid loan.

Comment

I can't speak for the A-10 schools, but those Valley schools with high student fees going to athletics are using it to pay for football. If WSU ever gets football back, the ongoing costs will be heavily subsidized by additional student fees.

Comment

Yeah, we're even in front of most schools with D1 FCS football, and even some with low-level D1 FBS football.

A quick and dirty look at those in front of us seems to indicate VCU as the only school w/o football that is spending or earning more than WSU, and their margin on us is relatively insignificant.
                            It's unfortunate private schools are not included. Would be curious to see how WSU matches up with the top Big East schools and Gonzaga.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              I can't speak for the A-10 schools, but those Valley schools with high student fees going to athletics are using it to pay for football. If WSU ever gets football back, the ongoing costs will be heavily subsidized by additional student fees.
                              No sweat Royal. All we need is for a bunch of really wealthy donors to endow every position in the football program. Voila; no student fees. See how easy that was! You just gotta learn to think outside the box a little more. :beguiled:
                              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                              X