Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports Daily Question - does WSU have any influence in the MVC Now with CU Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Daily Question - does WSU have any influence in the MVC Now with CU Gone?

Sports daily broache the subject that now that the MVC is now a Illinois centric league is WSU input in the conference being minimized due to the geographic makeup of the league? Are they isolated?

Bruce pointed out that CU and WSU had were united on a lot of different issues and now they are gone and there really is no school left in the valley that has common interests with WSU. CU had some issue with how serious the MVC is attempting to put the conference out front in the world. It seemed they would rather be "fair" to all teams, then reward those programs who have invested in facility and programs. There has been the WSU being passed over for the MVC tournament. There was the DBU fiasco where schools who didn't even play baseball kept DBU out.

Push comes to shove, does the MVC really care if WSU stays in the league, especially if it means they have listen to WSU?

What if the MVC moved the mens basketball tournament to Chicago?

Our position is even more weaken by the fact that one would have to assume that the MVC knows we will be gone in a heartbeat whenever a decent conference offers us an invitation.

So, from their standpoint, why wouldn't they do whatever will benefit/please the majority of their other members in the long run?

Comment

Without WSU, the MVC is at (or possibly below) the level of the Horizon League. I think the conference office and the members of the conference are aware of that. Whether WSU has any influence in the conference is dependent on where the rest of the schools in the conference want to be.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

It's time WSU leaves the valley. They are the only team brining money to the conference.

Comment

Here we go again

Comment

I don't believe anything is going to happen in the next year or two, regardless how much effort is put into it by WSU. Once the AAC and MWC are "settled in" with their new additions, we might have a shot at balancing the number of schools for all the other sports other than football. Only way in to the Big East is if they increase to 14 and add another public school or two.

Comment

Bruce sounds like he's sucking on a throat lozenge or eating a sticky cherry danish.

Comment

There is a reason the Valley is referred to as the IVC by certain folks.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                  Here we go again
                  If message board topics were only allowed to be talked about once, things would be pretty slow.

Comment

The MVC is akin to a bunch of welfare recipients circling the wagons. Can't get out of this cesspool of intentional mediocrity soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      The MVC is akin to a bunch of welfare recipients circling the wagons. Can't get out of this cesspool of intentional mediocrity soon enough.
                      I used to believe this, but it isn't true. A fallacy if you will. There isn't enough money generated in the Valley to make a difference. No TV money and very little NCAA money. The fact of the matter is this, the lack of available money may have more to do with the mentality of the other schools than the thought of going cheap and getting a handout.

If another Valley school were to invest in athletics at the level, or near level of WSU, there is little or no ROI, so why try? Spend what you can, do the best you can and limit other's abilities becomes the plan. Alas, lack of available money, not a free handout has created the Valley of equal.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

The fix really is a model that encourages success. A better TV deal that did not require all teams be shown, just competitive teams. A TV deal that generated actual money. Distribution of NCAA shares 60% to the team that earned them 25% to everybody else and 15% to the league. The whole thing starts and ends with TV revenue.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                          Bruce sounds like he's sucking on a throat lozenge or eating a sticky cherry danish.
                          Have you noticed how few callers he gets?

Whenever I listen, which is not often or for very long, he drones on with a non-stop monologue.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            The fix really is a model that encourages success. A better TV deal that did not require all teams be shown, just competitive teams. A TV deal that generated actual money. Distribution of NCAA shares 60% to the team that earned them 25% to everybody else and 15% to the league. The whole thing starts and ends with TV revenue.
                            I think the MVC punted that "equal TV time" guideline before last season. Bradley barely got on TV and WSU was on quite a bit. It could be that ESPN had a lot of say in that. I'm not sure how time on Fox Midwest was doled out, though.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              I think the MVC punted that "equal TV time" guideline before last season. Bradley barely got on TV and WSU was on quite a bit. It could be that ESPN had a lot of say in that. I'm not sure how time on Fox Midwest was doled out, though.
                              But how was the revenue doled out? Was there any revenue at the end of the day? My point is that there is a belief that there are "welfare schools.". I disagree. I think there are a bunch of schools that see no point in investing inathletics. They don't see a return, they have no incentive to increase budgets, the fight simply isn't worth it. If there was a real and immediate benefit to improvement, you would see better competition in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X