The Grass is Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grass is Green

Good article and publicity showcasing why its not always best to jump to the first "big" name that comes along. No need to hurry when things are good, feel good and continue to look good.

The "It" coaches' names come up seemingly any time a job opens. But what's the rush? More and more coaches are asking if the grass is really greener.

Saw this too and was going to post in one of the other threads. I don't think it will stop the pundits or rumor mill but serves to reinforce what I have come to realize why 3G sticks around. WSU is a great job right now and the atmosphere in CKA is second to none. From my perspective, HCGM has a few more tricks up his sleeve before he's done in Wichita and has only begun to show the nation what he's capable of producing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocks2005 View Post
      Good article and publicity showcasing why its not always best to jump to the first "big" name that comes along. No need to hurry when things are good, feel good and continue to look good.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-next-open-job
      Good question -- what if I don't get another opportunity like the job I've got right now?
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

This is not only true for college basketball coaches, but for any and all professionals. There is a lot to be said for the "goodwill" established after spending several years someplace. At the end of the day, everyone has to look out for him/herself and family, but the grass is not always greener.

Comment

Good coaches like Marshall will be successful no matter what the circumstances. I'm glad he's decided to be successful here. On the other side of the fence, there are guys like Lowery and Jacobsen that will never get the kind of offers they could have taken when they were the hot coach.

Comment

Lowery would have flamed out years ago but at least would have had that one, maybe two, year (s) to talk about with his grandchildren.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Someone want to forward that article to Jenn Bates?
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                Someone want to forward that article to Jenn Bates?
                I think you meant Parsons, the shipping peanut salesman.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  I think you meant Parsons, the shipping peanut salesman.
                  Given that Jenn wrote an extensive article about the inevitability of Marshall leaving, I'm pretty sure the original target is the intended one, even if would also apply to Parsons.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I liked the article but I have two beefs. One, it seemed the first in a series where the rest will be about what it will take to get these coaches to leave. Kind of defeats the purpose. Two, the framework always features non-BCS coaches. What about coaches at middling BCS schools or even pretty good ones? Sure there names get thrown out as candidates for moves but the whole way it is talked about is different. There isn't a constant drumbeat about how they will inevitably move or the surprise when they don't.

Probably the wrong article to pick on to make these points as it is mostly arguing against the dominant narrative.
                    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Mad, there is a separate article discussing the top dogs in the NCAA and what it would take for them to leave including Self. Which it doesn't surprise me that it basically says that for many of them only the NBA would do, which is probably very accurate. I don't think it is any surprise that many schools would have to pay big to get Smart, Marshall and others. What is nice is that a national media person is actually admitting that "Hey, these schools have it good. Why would they leave that?"

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                        Two, the framework always features non-BCS coaches. What about coaches at middling BCS schools or even pretty good ones? Sure there names get thrown out as candidates for moves but the whole way it is talked about is different. There isn't a constant drumbeat about how they will inevitably move or the surprise when they don't.
                        This

Comment

I liked the article but I have two beefs. One, it seemed the first in a series where the rest will be about what it will take to get these coaches to leave. Kind of defeats the purpose. Two, the framework always features non-BCS coaches. What about coaches at middling BCS schools or even pretty good ones? Sure there names get thrown out as candidates for moves but the whole way it is talked about is different. There isn't a constant drumbeat about how they will inevitably move or the surprise when they don't.

Probably the wrong article to pick on to make these points as it is mostly arguing against the dominant narrative.
                          Jay Wright was featured kind of heavily in the article. Football or not Nova isnt that bad of a job.

Comment

Why write about middling BCS coaches? They're not going to move up. They've alredy shown what they can do "at that level" - and no other school "at that level" wants their results. Middling BCS coaches move down (Altman from KSU to CU, Haith from Mizzou to Tulsa, McDermott from Iowa State to CU - hmmm - seems to be a pattern).
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Link: The Hardest Job in College Basketball: Head Coach at a Struggling BCS Program

Or, "Why Gregg Marshall is the smartest coach in College Basketball"

"Every job has its challenges," Marshall said. "You've just got to be savvy enough to try to avoid not stepping in the pitfalls that each job presents."
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                              X