TV Ratings in 2013-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Ratings in 2013-14

From the Omaha paper today. I'm having trouble copying/pasting and linking the story.

Bottom line, Creighton needs WSU one hell of a lot more than WSU needs Creighton.

Cue the Batman4President signal. :highly_amused:

Comment

My bold prediction: Fox Sports 1 will be dead by the end of the decade.

Comment

But at least Fox Sports 1 has the potential to be in 90 million homes.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I went over to the CU board to see if they were discussing this. No, they weren't. But they were discussing another analysis that compared FS1 to the other sports channels besides the flagship ESPN.

Of particular note is this chart:

While FS1 was a major disappointment this year, it did begin to trend up late in the season. If it can cut that gap with ESPN2 in half next year, then catch up the year after that, it may survive just fine. But with no clue how the financials work out, that's pure speculation on my part.

Comment

So the Fighting Sweater Vests are our ***** even in their hometown rag?

Hopefully the OWH doesn't do an article on (stupid early) 2014-15 preseason rankings or bracketology too. The trustifarians might just find themselves wondering why one hand holds a straight razor, and the other arm an exposed wrist.

Comment

I can see Creighton fan's red overalls being washed and readied for next year all the way down here in the 316.

Comment

Originally posted by champions5 View Post
                From the Omaha paper today. I'm having trouble copying/pasting and linking the story.

http://sports.omaha.com/2014/04/09/m...tgers-vs-uconn
                Actually as bad as it is, that article actually sugar coats Cu's tv ratings. They used only their 10 highest rated games (instead of all 23 games that were on FS1 or FS2) and included the nBE tournament championship game which drew a FS1 record 702,000 (still less than half of what the Valley championship game of WSU-Indy St drew). Cu had 11 games that drew less than 88,000, some a lot less including one that only drew 3,000. Their highest rated regular season game on FS1 between 2 ranked teams- Cu and Villanova only drew 184,000 viewers. Cu drew a lot less viewers this year than they did in just 9 national TV games last year when they were in the Valley (3.7 million total viewers last year in 9 games vs. 2.7 million this year in 26 games-including the nBE tournament games).

From a purely TV ratings standpoint, the nBE was a big step down from being in the Valley. I think it just shows how much more important it is to be on espn than FS1 (or NBCSN OR CBSSN for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                  Actually as bad as it is, that article actually sugar coats Cu's tv ratings. They used only their 10 highest rated games (instead of all 23 games that were on FS1 or FS2) and included the nBE tournament championship game which drew a FS1 record 702,000 (still less than half of what the Valley championship game of WSU-Indy St drew). Cu had 11 games that drew less than 88,000, some a lot less including one that only drew 3,000. Their highest rated regular season game on FS1 between 2 ranked teams- Cu and Villanova only drew 184,000 viewers. Cu drew a lot less viewers this year than they did in just 9 national TV games last year when they were in the Valley (3.7 million total viewers last year in 9 games vs. 2.7 million this year in 26 games-including the nBE tournament games).

From a purely TV ratings standpoint, the nBE was a big step down from being in the Valley. I think it just shows how much more important it is to be on espn than FS1 (or NBCSN OR CBSSN for that matter).
                  ouch!
                  I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                  If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

BUT but but its Creighton?
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      I went over to the CU board to see if they were discussing this. No, they weren't. But they were discussing another analysis that compared FS1 to the other sports channels besides the flagship ESPN.

Of particular note is this chart:

While FS1 was a major disappointment this year, it did begin to trend up late in the season. If it can cut that gap with ESPN2 in half next year, then catch up the year after that, it may survive just fine. But with no clue how the financials work out, that's pure speculation on my part.
                      Everything but the NBC one was trending up because more people watch sports in March. I think the graph looks like they just took a total number from each month and then plotted it. So for March, didn't they have ncaa games? I dunno. I guess it just seems like they were trending up because people wanted to watch ncaa basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        Of course they aren't discussing it. It absolutely destroys their entire way of thinking that they were gonna be "big time" on "national" tv. That article KILLS them. The truth freaking hurts.

And I LOVE the fact that WSU was used as a comparison. A bit of an extra twist of the knife to the hapless sCUm fan.

And now they aren't even on the radar for next year?

Welcome to the dark days boys! But at least it's all gonna be caught on Fox Sports 1!
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Creighton fans viewed their timing of the move to the Big East as the perfect storm considering they got to enter their new league at the peak in their program's history which included a PotY candidate entering his senior year. They were expecting tons of exposure this year which would help generate interest in the program and lead them to getting great recruits. The reality is that the Big East isn't going to get big time exposure for another 5 years (if ever) and by then Creighton will be a cellar dweller and they will be known as the program that used to have Doug McDermott. Creighton fans will never admit it, but they would've been better off sitting in the Valley for another couple of years. They would've received much better exposure this year and could've parlayed that into a Big East invite when FS1 is actually a legitimate television channel.

Comment

Poor Creighton. With out daddies boy the ratings will be even lass next year. Should make for a great year up here.

Comment

Don't forget a resurgent nu basketball team. It will be interesting to see the fan support at sCUm now that big red seems to be relevant in basketball.

Comment

Working...
                              X