No announcement yet.

Baker to stay at WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if this was Baker's idea to do this, or if his parents, both of whom have coached, had something to do with it just to get Ron some useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
      I saw this on the ticker last night and just laughed. It is pretty awesome though.
      What part made you laugh? Perhaps the fact that his parents didn't fly in from Africa to make the announcement? What exactly did you find so amusing? Help US understand YOU.

Comment

I found it amusing because I didn't see any chance of him going THIS year. The talk was all largely speculative as to whether or not he was a second round option or a non-option. I don't believe it deserved to be a ticker item in the same way that the announcement of Embiid, Wiggins, Parker's announcement was. Those guys are fighting for lottery order.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Chad Ford's In or Out list for the draft. He had this to say about Baker
          Ron Baker, G, So., Wichita State
          NBA scouts have been excited about Baker since his terrific play as a freshman in the Shockers' run to the Final Four. He showed improvement as a sophomore in virtually every area, and he was especially a favorite of the analytics crowd. Scouts project Baker as a point guard at the next level, though as long as Fred VanVleet is there, he's unlikely to get a chance to play the position. He's a potential mid-to-late first-round pick in 2015

Comment

If Ford's correct and he's mid-to-late 1st round pick in 2015 then we better enjoy him next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              What part made you laugh? Perhaps the fact that his parents didn't fly in from Africa to make the announcement? What exactly did you find so amusing? Help US understand YOU.
              ****, I don't even understand me.

What I found amusing is the implied alternative -- that Baker would leave for the draft. First off, he isn't NBA ready. There is no way he would go in the first round. It would just be silly. Second, Baker wanted to play with Marshall so much that he paid his way for a year. That isn't the type of guy that would jump.

Finally I found amusement in it even being news -- that we have made it to the point where people outside of losers like us on a message board care if one of our Sophomores goes to the NBA.

Comment

I started this thread.

I reported this news because it was on ESPN and it was national news.

Some of you need to adjust your thinking to the reality that WSU is now national news.

When a player that put up 20 points on Kentucky that is playing for the national title tomorrow night,
                says he is returning for his junior year that is now national news.

WSU is no longer just a mid-major basketball team.

Isn't that what you all wanted???

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                  ****, I don't even understand me.

What I found amusing is the implied alternative -- that Baker would leave for the draft. First off, he isn't NBA ready. There is no way he would go in the first round. It would just be silly. Second, Baker wanted to play with Marshall so much that he paid his way for a year. That isn't the type of guy that would jump.

Finally I found amusement in it even being news -- that we have made it to the point where people outside of losers like us on a message board care if one of our Sophomores goes to the NBA.
                  Some experts, much better at judging talent than you or me, believe he is NBA talent. WSU basketball is a national story. Baker is nationally known. There is interest regarding the program.

Thanks for clarifying though. I thought you were making a back handed compliment towards Baker which rubbed me the wrong way. I was wrong about my assumption.
                  It torqued me off on how Embiid was making such a big deal about whether he goes or stays and supposedly flying his family in from Africa to make an announcement. I liked the way Baker did it much better.

Comment

This year, we got a tough draw in the 3rd round of the tourney. We're wondering whether Early is a lottery pick or whether he goes later in the first round. A So SG saying he will not leave early to enter the NBA draft mkes national news. Then there's the PG who's one of the 10 finalists for a national PoY award.

We have what could be one of Marshall's best recruiting classes ever coming in. If there are no red shirts, there will be 6 Fr next year on a team with probably the best returning 3-guard lineup in the nation, a Sr post player who was a JuCo AA and looks like he earned that. There will be a 7' rim protector on the squad, along with 2 RS Fr.

Shaq Morris was the MVP of the Oklahoma/Texas HS All-Stars game when he weighed 280. He's expected to be at 250 next year. Ri'an Holland is a sky-walking 6'0" combo guard with the potential of being a smaller Tekele Cotton with better shooting range.

Then there's two incoming Fr who've had a year of prep school and are a year ahead of most Fr in physical and mental maturity.

WSU basketball is at a completely different level than most Shocker fans have experienced. Those of us fortunate enough to be over the hill, rather than under it, remember when this was what we expected from WSU basketball.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                    X