Cleanthony Early- 3rd Team AP All American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanthony Early- 3rd Team AP All American

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere and I missed it.

Cleanthony was named a 3rd Team AP All American yesterday afternoon. With that vote, Cleanthony finishes T-9 on the consensus points list, making him a Consensus 2nd Team All American.

None of our players were alive the last time a WSU player accomplished such a feat. Very, very cool and congratulations Cle!

I'm sad he got 3rd team on AP when I thought he was a solid 2nd team but oh well.

Comment

For reference, the only other Shockers to make the Consensus AA first or second team are as follows:

Ross McBurney, 1927*- Helms AA List
      Dave Stallworth, 1964- 1st Team
      Dave Stallworth, 1965- 2nd Team
      Xavier McDaniel, 1985- 1st Team

*They did not officially have a Consensus AA list in 1927 (it began in 1929), but the Helms Foundation AA list was the only major publication of the honor

Comment

I know I continue to beat a dead horse, however Ross McBurney's jersey needs to be hanging from the rafters. This is simply an 85 year oversight. It would be great to honor both Ross McBurney and Warren 'Jabali' Armstrong.

"He then attended Wichita State University from 1926 to 1929, where he became the school's first basketball All-American in 1927.[2] That year he led the Shockers to a 19-2 record and a third place finish in the Amateur Athletic Union tournament. He was also named to the AAU All-American team that year.[3]"

Hang #2 (don't retire the #)

Hang #52 (don't retire the #)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          I know I continue to beat a dead horse, however Ross McBurney's jersey needs to be hanging from the rafters. This is simply an 85 year oversight. It would be great to honor both Ross McBurney and Warren 'Jabali' Armstrong.

"He then attended Wichita State University from 1926 to 1929, where he became the school's first basketball All-American in 1927.[2] That year he led the Shockers to a 19-2 record and a third place finish in the Amateur Athletic Union tournament. He was also named to the AAU All-American team that year.[3]"

Hang #2 (don't retire the #)

Hang #52 (don't retire the #)

Yuuuuuuuup!!

McBurney has a couple of national championships post college, I believe. Stud. Hang .. the ... jersey.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

There's a good chance we are going to have to hang several jersey's without retiring numbers with the direction Marshall is taking the program.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              There's a good chance we are going to have to hang several jersey's without retiring numbers with the direction Marshall is taking the program.
              Great! If merited, I want to see them sumbitches hangin’ everywhere!

Comment

Fred was on the AP All-America Honorable Mention team, and received a vote for AP All-American 1st Team.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  Great! If merited, I want to see them sumbitches hangin’ everywhere!

Gonna run out of numbers!!

Comment

Interesting approach, @WstateU:, by not retiring the numbers. I think I like it.

Comment

You can't run out of numbers.

They just may not fit on the jerseys.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        Interesting approach, @WstateU:, by not retiring the numbers. I think I like it.
                        It's how most tradition rich basketball programs do it

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                          It's how most tradition rich basketball programs do it
                          Figured it had to be that way. It would be a great. optimistic approach for us to take.

Comment

Maybe someone could forward this thread and information to AD Sexton? I know he's already heard enough of my suggestions and comments to last a lifetime. :)

Retiring both of these jerseys together could be a great event and lead to an endowed scholarship in both of their names. Additionally, long-time Shocker fans (Dennis, Ron & Doug types) would appreciate them being honored. If we’re lucky, maybe one of our real ‘old timers’ was a child when Ross McBurney was doing his thing. I can envision some of the quotes; “Old Ross sure could fill up a peach basket!”; “lore was that Ross once elevated to the sky and touched the top of the peach basket”; “Ross’ ‘set shot’ was pure magic”.

Seriously, Ross was our very first All-American and one of the top players of his time; he deserves his rightful place in the rafters of Koch Arena immediately to left of Cleo Littleton. #2 should be the #1 jersey hanging from the rafters. Warren ‘Jabali’ Armstrong’s jersey should be hanging to the right of Dave Stallworth’s.

No, the horse isn’t dead!

P.S. I guess they didn’t use ladders in those days… I love history!

P.S. II – Hmmm, guess I missed this article.

Comment

Of the seven AA teams I have seen published (SI, NBCSports, USA Today, Sporting News, USBWA, NABC and Wooden), the following players have been named to at least one team, either first, second or third team. The Avg. Team is the total of their rankings divided by 7.

Player School Mentions Total Pts Avg. Team
                              McDermott Creighton 7 7 1
                              Parker Duke 7 7 1
                              Smith Louisville 7 8 1
                              Napier Connecticut 7 8 1
                              Kilpatrick Cincinnati 7 9 1
                              Johnson Arizona 7 11 1
                              Wiggins Kansas 7 13 1
                              Stauskas Michigan 6 12 0.86
                              Early
                              Wichita State 5 9 0.71
                              Ejim Iowa State 4 11 0.57
                              Fair Syracuse 3 6 0.43
                              VanVleet
                              Wichita State 3 8 0.43
                              Anderson UCLA 3 8 0.43
                              Warren NC State 3 8 0.43
                              Kane Iowa State 3 9 0.43
                              Bairstow New Mexico 2 5 0.29
                              Randle Kentucky 2 5 0.29
                              Wilbekin Florida 2 6 0.29
                              Prather Florida 1 1 0.14
                              Cotton Providence 1 2 0.14
                              Ennis Syracuse 1 2 0.14
                              Paige North Carolina 1 2 0.14
                              Smart Oklahoma State 1 3 0.14
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X