**Official WSU vs. Kentucky Game Thread**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
    If I was a sCUm fan I would think that you people are obsessed with the team that left and shall remain nameless, but as a Shocker fan I know what you are pointing out....That the best team in cu history and belonged to (in their small minds) to an elite conference was seen by significantly fewer people than were that non bcs school WSU nation wide. Huh. Go figger.
    I am guessing that even last year's CU team in the Valley had more people nationwide see that team than this year's CU team in the Big East. I am saying that in spite of the fact that Doug McDermott was the leading candidate for National Player of the Year, CU was leading the Big East most of the season, and McDermott was moving up the charts for all time leading scorers.

The reason I say that is that last year's CU team in the Valley had several games on ESPN and I am guessing that those games drew bigger audiences than this year's team on the little seen Fox Sports 1 and 2.

The 2013-14 college basketball regular season generated record numbers on ESPN. ESPN averaged a 1.0 U.S. rating and 1.45 million viewers for men's college

Viewership plunged for the Big East Championship on Fox Sports 1. In other news, the Pac-12 title game also had a huge decline on FS1, and the NCAA
    Last edited by shocker3; March 28, 2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• What would be interesting to note is how many of the the CU viewers were Shocker fans.
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
        I am guessing that even last year's CU team in the Valley had more people nationwide see that team than this year's CU team in the Big East. I am saying that in spite of the fact that Doug McDermott was the leading candidate for National Player of the Year, CU was leading the Big East most of the season, and McDermott was moving up the charts for all time leading scorers.

The reason I say that is that last year's CU team in the Valley had several games on ESPN and I am guessing that those games drew bigger audiences than this year's team on the little seen Fox Sports 1 and 2.

The 2013-14 college basketball regular season generated record numbers on ESPN. ESPN averaged a 1.0 U.S. rating and 1.45 million viewers for men's college

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...mp-first-four/
        I never thought of comparing Cu's tv ratings last year with this years before. After reading this I did. Cu had a total of 8 regular season games last year on the espn family (espn2-4 games, espnU-3 games and 1 game on espn). Those 8 games drew 2.7 million viewers. So yes, the Cu of last year (in the Valley) drew a larger regular season tv audience then this years version in the nBE (2.7 million vs. 1.9 million).

Also the Cu of last year playing in the Valley tournament championship game against WSU drew 1 million viewers for that game while this year's Cu playing Providence in the nBE tournament championship game drew 702,000 (it did set a record for the best ratings of any basketball game on FS1). So just from a tv ratings standpoint, Cu actually was better off in the Valley than being in the nBE. Certainly there are other benefits from being in the nBE than the Valley, but from strictly a tv ratings standpoint moving to the nBE was a step down.

Also for comparison, WSU last year drew 34 million viewers just for their 5 games in the ncaa tournament. WSU also drew 2.7 million additional viewers for their 4 games on espn2, 3 games on espnU and their one game on CBS-TV. So last year WSU drew 36.7 million viewers not counting any of their games on FOX Sports NEt or COX22. Playing in the ncaa tournament makes a huge difference.
        Last edited by shox1989; March 30, 2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• @dtblevins: @tsnmike tough to capture the emotions UK fans have tonight; one being great respect for the teams we played #wichitast #uofl #michigan #ks
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            I never thought of comparing Cu's tv ratings last year with this years before. After reading this I did. Cu had a total of 8 regular season games last year on the espn family (espn2-4 games, espnU-3 games and 1 game on espn). Those 8 games drew 2.7 million viewers. So yes, the Cu of last year (in the Valley) drew a larger regular season tv audience then this years version in the nBE (2.7 million vs. 1.9 million).

Also the Cu of last year playing in the Valley tournament championship game against WSU drew 1 million viewers for that game while this year's Cu playing Providence in the nBE tournament championship game drew 702,000 (it did set a record for the best ratings of any basketball game on FS1). So just from a tv ratings standpoint, Cu actually was better off in the Valley than being in the nBE. Certainly there are other benefits from being in the nBE than the Valley, but from strictly a tv ratings standpoint moving to the nBE was a step down.

Also for comparison, WSU last year drew 34 million viewers just for their 5 games in the ncaa tournament. WSU also drew 2.7 million additional viewers for their 4 games on espn2, 3 games on espnU and their one game on CBS-TV. So last year WSU drew 36.7 million viewers not counting any of their games on FOX Sports NEt or COX22. Playing in the ncaa tournament makes a huge difference.
            That is pretty amazing. Just as I suspected, the Creighton of last year in the Valley was seen by more people nationwide then this year's Creighton in the Big East. Thanks for the info.

After this years good TV ratings, I hope we are able to get even more games on national TV next year.

Comment

It means 7.9% of all TV sets in America had the game on. In this case it translates into over 12 million viewers. For comparison, the WSU-Ohio St game last year in the elite 8 drew 11.3 million viewers and last year's final 4 game against Louisville had around 15 million viewers (8.7 rating). Those games didn't have any other ncaa games competing with them. 12 million for a round of 32 game is amazing this day and age with so many other choices (other ncaa games, TV and non-TV entertainment). This year's round of 32 game between Creighton and Baylor got a .6 rating (the WSU-UK game was viewed on 13.2 times as many tvs as the Cu-Baylor game).

Some more comparisons, the Creighton-Villanova game on FS1 on 1/20/14 in prime time drew 184,000 viewers and the rematch on 2/16/14 also on FS1 drew 112,000 viewers.
              Today's USA TODAY had the Nielsen Ratings for last week (they usually print them every Wednesday). I noticed that one basketball game made the Network top 25 last week- Louisville v. Kentucky with 10.1 millon viewers.

Two games made the CABLE TOP 10 list: Wisconsin v. Arizona 10.0 million viewers and Michigan St. v. Virginia 5.1 million.

I am assuming since the other sweet 16 and elite 8 games didn't make the lists, that they had even fewer viewers.

My conclusion, our game against Kentucky drew better TV ratings (12.1 million viewers) than any of the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games last week.
              Last edited by shocker3; April 2, 2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Looking through the printed "NIGHT BY NIGHT RATINGS" in the USA TODAY I did find three more Sweet 16 games. The two Thrusday games on CBS, Dayton v. Stanford had 7.1 million viewers and UCLA v. Florida had 7.2 million. Friday's early game between Tennessee and Michigan had 8.3 million.

Comment

As a side note (I love getting into these statistics), the MVC tournament championship game drew significantly better TV ratings than the PAC 12 (680K),the BIG EAST(700K) and the WCC (1.0 million). The big 12 and American conference championship games drew only a slightly better rating getting 1.1 rating and 1.7 million viewers each. The MWC Championship game between SDSU and New Mexico also did a little better with a 1.2 rating and 1.9 million viewers.

The only 3 conferences that drew a significantly better tv rating for their tournament championship games than the Valley were the Big 10 (2.7), ACC (2.2) and the SEC (2.0).

None of the conferences with a worst conference rpi came anywhere close to the Valley in tv ratings for their championship game (the 3 closest were the C-USA at 886K, the Horizon at 679K and the America East at 366K)
                  I love these numbers - thanks for keeping track. I'm going to drop these truth bombs at many a bar.

On your side note I think it should say "Undefeated Wichita St drew ..." because it really was that story line that got people to tune in. (I'm ok with that)

Comment

• What we as fans of the Shockers knew (that our team was for real, and could play with ANYONE) that everyone else that follows college basketball now knows, yea these guys were the real deal. Except for that asshole Gottlibe.

Comment

• Have'nt been on here since we lost, wasn't suicidal are anything like that but just had to kind of de-compress from the emotional high of the great season, being 35-0 and going into this Kentucky game knowing all the nay-sayers were just waiting for us to implode. This game was one of the greatest games i've seen, from the point of all the pressure that was on the Shockers being undefeated and having all the basketball world watching. They could have went in a shell and let the weight of the event, playing in front of 19000 plus fans and the big Blue Blood Kentucky Wildcats get to them, but as we know these Shockers relished this moment and played one of the best games that I can remember. It took Kentuckys best game of the year with all their 5-star future NBA players playing at peak level. We matched them blow for blow, the game was really played at such a high level, both teams shooting over 50% against very agressive defenses. It was a clean game, very few turnovers, and the ones that were made led to spectacular dunks and great transitional play. I thought I was watching a movie, my heart was in my throat, we got up by 9 and I thought we got this, then we miss two freethrows and they bank a three, all of a sudden its a five point lead, and next 12 minutes were gut wrenching, exciting, full of joy followed by despair and doubt only to be followed with hope and yea we got this and then the last two minutes where you know that who ever has a three point lead was going to be in great position to win. I was frazzeled, my family was on edge and my son couldn't even leave his house for fear that he would break the karma because we all got togetheir last year when we lost the heart breaker to Louisville. I was sad but also so proud of the way this team the way they not only played but conducted themselves through the whole season. Nothing but pride and knowing that it took Kentucky's best shot. I told my son that night, don't be suprised if they win it all. Can't wait till next season, I really think we can be even better. But I do need a rest, mentally, this was a drain but O so fun.

Comment

• Somehow in the drunken stupor that flowed this game I cut my leg. It was a nasty discovery the next morning and a painful reminder of the night before.

The scabs came off after the shower tonight - kind of like scabs falling away when I got to see Cle in uniform. Amazing how things sync up sometimes -- like my late night shockernet posts and my consumption of alcohol!

Comment

• In case you're interested, here is the full game on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• So many of the Kansas fans discount your team and program as somehow being unworthy. They even say we got lucky and had an easy bracket by playing WSU. I think not, your team was every bit our equal and as you noticed we played Michigan, Louisville, and Wisconsin in that tournament. 4 top 10 teams and we had to play the best game as far as execution to beat WSU. The committee screwed WSU by under-seeding us
                            Bottom line, I think they are chicken chit and don't want to risk a loss by scheduling you all. As much as Calipari is hated, give him credit in that he will give the other in state colleges games and sometimes with risk. Of course Louisville is tough but we played Morehead when the Faried played, E Ky, W Ky, even the small Georgetown, Ky team to give the a good payday. I forgot, Murray St as well, and they have had some good teams.

Comment

• I hope you guys beat the living sh*t out of those peckerheads next month.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• It'll take a herculean effort, or a herculean sized dump by UK, for a team to beat UK this year.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X