Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSJ "Blindfold Bracket"

Interesting.

I got WSU over Florida in the title game, just like my non-blindfolded bracket.
    The Assman

Comment

I can guess most of these teams. I wonder if this line "fewer possessions also up their upset risk" is why Virginia doesn't do as well in this study.

Comment

I ignored the high/low major line. That would have made it way to guess who WSU was. :)
        The Assman

Comment

I ran it and tried to go on the offensive/defensive criteria etc.

WSU, FTW! Also had W. Mich to Sweet 16 among other "upsets".

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
            I ignored the high/low major line. That would have made it way to guess who WSU was. :)
            I was surprised that they included a short team description. I couldn't have guessed most of them without it but with it, it became really easy.

Comment

I was able to scroll down enough to avoid seeing any of the seeds/RPIs/conference category and go off the stats. Ended up with a Final Four of Florida, Michigan State, Arizona, and WSU, which is the same as my actual brackets. And it had WSU over Florida for the championship :D

The biggest surprise was having New Mexico in the Elite 8. It also had SFA and North Dakota St as 12-5 upsets. For my real bracket, I was up in the air on the "sexy" SFA pick, but I'm putting NDSU in my Sweet 16 as my sleeper.

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniShocker View Post
                I was able to scroll down enough to avoid seeing any of the seeds/RPIs/conference category and go off the stats. Ended up with a Final Four of Florida, Michigan State, Arizona, and WSU, which is the same as my actual brackets. And it had WSU over Florida for the championship :D

The biggest surprise was having New Mexico in the Elite 8. It also had SFA and North Dakota St as 12-5 upsets. For my real bracket, I was up in the air on the "sexy" SFA pick, but I'm putting NDSU in my Sweet 16 as my sleeper.
                I wouldn't be surprised at all if UNM is on the Elite Eight.

They are damn good.
                The Assman

Comment

I think both duke and Syracuse are ripe for first round upsets. NC-central is my S16 surprise. Look at me, I'm wild and crazy brackets guy!

Comment

Shocks over the Mighty Spartans in the Championship!
                    β€œLosers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I could tell who over 1/2 of the teams were by either the description or by the ratings they were given. Good to see WSU is getting some love though!

Comment

I also paid no attention to the descriptions at the top. Ended-up with the Shocks winning the NC over Virginny. I also had Florida and Arizona in the F4. Thought it was interesting that without reading any of the descriptive information at the top, I still ended up with all four of the one seeds in the F4.
                        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Just for fun I entered my blind bracket into espn alongside my original bracket. I guess I will find out if my "eye test" is as good as I think.
                          β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                          -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I had Florida, Arizona, Villanova, and Wichita State in the Final 4.

Florida and Wichita State played for the National Championship with Wichita State winning.
                            Last edited by 1979Shocker; March 19, 2014, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Apparently when I'm blindfolded my "anti-Big East bias" (as my friends say) went away. Ended up with Creighton and Villanova both in the final four, but WSU over Florida for the National title (same as my original bracket). I put this one up in my ESPN pool so we'll see if I'm better off with sight or blind

Comment

Working...
                              X