Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WP

Originally posted by Dan
    No matter how many scholarships you give out, there will always be a certain number of players each year that sit the bench and get no playing time. In an ideal world, there would only be about 9 players each year that get the minutes. In the case of next year, would you rather give the scholarship to a 21 year old player that's been in the program for 3 years, even though you know not to expect a lot of production, or a brand new, possibly 18 year old, where you know you won't get much production, and you can not guarantee what sort of player he will turn out to be. My vote would be to keep WP on the team - it's only one more year and we need as many veterans on the team as possible. We already have a good crop of freshman coming in and WPs minutes will probably be few any way. His scholarship will go to a current high school junior that is being heavily recuruited by the coaches, IMO.
    Dan, YOU'RE THE MAN! :good:
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
      My spin on WP is as follows: He should be invited back next year because he has worked hard to help this Program and he would be a Senior. Oviously, HCGM will inform him what he needs to work on the offseason. If these areas do not improve, his playing time will decrease but he should still be welcomed on this team. If he so chooses not to return, that is his right. Otherwise, I hope he returns for his Senior year. We could use some vetern players next year because 'Shocker Programs' will be at an all time high before the games as we reload for the future.
      FSF... YOU'RE ALSO THE MAN! :good:
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Wendell should be allowed to come back unless he chooses not to. If he's forced out going into his SR year I'd be upset by that. It's only one scholarship and it's only tied up for one more year. It'll probably be better used in '09 anyway. As it is, I believe we'd have Wendell, Mantas and Ramon leaving after next season. It'd be nice to have 3 scholarships for that class and not 2.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
          Cold needs to change his allegiance and start supporting UNLV. Maybe he should become a Kelvin Sampson fan, wherever he ends up. Or how about a D-League team that trips his trigger and go from there. Those are true basketball factories.
          Check the numbers - how many college basketball players actually make it to the NBA? Very few and to only care about whether a kid can dribble and shoot is both juvenile and short sighted.
          Fortunately Cold is not in charge or WSU would be on probation before sundown and stay that way until the next solar eclipse. 8)
          For someone who prides himself in having a discerning eye, you surely missed the boat when attempting to interpret my thoughts. Don't worry though, you are in good company. ;-)

T

...8)

Comment

ISASO:

The decision has already been made, apparently, with one twist to the original scenario. The temp was brought on full-time and given many of the responsibilities handled previously by the "veteran". The twist? The "veteran" was transferred to a different department - where they sharpen #2 pencils 8 hours a day. Still an important job, but one that might be more suited to the individuals abilities.

Interestingly, the "veteran" did transfer jobs at the same rate of pay, while the temp only got to work a higher-profile position for the same rate of pay.

But the temp was not brought in on a full-time basis; he was already on staff as a full-time volunteer. The only reason to give the temp the veteran’s salary at the end of his contract term (doubtful that you can any other time) is because you made the decision to upgrade by replacing the temp in his position! If that is the intent, fine, however a better use of the veteran’s salary/position may be to find someone with better qualifications than a temps position requires.

ISASO:

… And I don't see why anyone assumed the veteran in my example was nearing retirement age. …

I made that jump. Given the title and topic of this thread, the only applicable time period of the veteran’s work life consistent with your business analogy is the retirement year.

I understand the point you’re attempting to make, but I felt your business model was not quite right and had a little fun with it while trying to make my point as well. But business analogies aside, we just have a difference of opinion on this issue which is fine.

I do not and hopefully never will believe that just having the power to act justifies doing so.
            Nothing that WP has done justifies the loss of his final year on an athletic scholarship.

Comment

I still don't see why everyone wants to keep a guy around that, as it has been rumored, doesn't want to put forth the effort.

Comment

I am excited by the prospect of next season in which we only need to have 12 scholarship players.

Comment

rrshock:
                  I still don't see why everyone wants to keep a guy around that, as it has been rumored, doesn't want to put forth the effort.

A player not putting forth an effort is certainly a valid reason not to renew a scholarship; however there are those who seem to believe it is okay to arbitrarily drop any player, at any time, for any reason, if they think an untested HS prospect is available. I am not one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShox
                    He should have been given a bus ticket back to Texas last year.
                    I really hope your not an adult

Comment

Dam some of you people are very cruel.
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

WP

Is Wendell a guy that is not putting forth the effort? I've never heard that about him. I still contend that he will be a better practice player and leader in the locker room than any freshmen recruit we can bring in. We need to save the scholarship for the '09 class.

Comment

Practice players don't get scholarships. Wendell is free to practice with the team next year as much as he would like!

T

...8)

Comment

Sure they do. I can't think of a single team without practice players on scholarship.

Comment

If he wants to stay at WSU and get an education, then that's fine. He doesn't have to be taking up a basketball scholarship to do that. Something apparently is amiss, or he would be playing. When there are only 10 available players, 2 of them being walk-ons, and you are the last player to get in the game, there is something going on. If coach feels it necessary to have WP leave the team, then so be it. Especially if he isn't putting forth the effort required of him.

I think some on here have forgotten that a scholarship is like a pay check. You have your schooling paid in return for playing ball. If you can't do your job of playing ball, then you shouldn't get paid. Same goes for everyday life.

Comment

It's readily apparent some of you are inadequately prepared to handle the truth of what really goes on in Division I athletics.
                                Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                                X