Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why our region is death (and why we might survive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
    Not sure if you guys know who Alan Boston is, but he's a pretty famous sports bettor, and his Twitter feed is interesting to read with his reactions to the seedings. https://twitter.com/bostonred88
    Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
    I wish Alan would tell us what he really thinks.
    Had to go and take a look at his feed. Pure gold.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
      No team in WSU's region is exceptionally well down low, which is what was said could give this team trouble. Honestly, the best big WSU will play this season is probably Mockevicius from Evensville.
      Seriously? Montrezl Harrell (14.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg, .614 FG%) and Julius Randle (15 ppg, 10.5 rpg, .502 FG%) are among the best low post players in the nation. I'm not saying that we can't beat UK or UL, but there is certainly low post talent in our region.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        Seriously? Montrezl Harrell (14.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg, .614 FG%) and Julius Randle (15 ppg, 10.5 rpg, .502 FG%) are among the best low post players in the nation. I'm not saying that we can't beat UK or UL, but there is certainly low post talent in our region.
        No one that is necessarily bigger then anyone we have. Talented? Absolutely, but no one that is a huge mismatch size-wise.
        The Assman

Comment

Some of the national sage support, who previously supported the Shockers, are now jumping ship.

As an example, Seth Greenberg has the Shockers bowing out in game 2 - KY over WSU.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Just a question here, Julius Randle averages those numbers while being double and tripled team just about every time he touches the ball. Do you think WSU will follow suit just the same as Mich State, UF, UT, UL, and the rest of the teams and throw 2 or 3 players at him or match up one on one defending him?

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
              No one that is necessarily bigger then anyone we have. Talented? Absolutely, but no one that is a huge mismatch size-wise.
              Kentucky's post players go 6'8" 239lbs, 6'9" 250lbs, 7'0" 244lbs, 7'0" 265lbs.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Slam21 View Post
                Just a question here, Julius Randle averages those numbers while being double and tripled team just about every time he touches the ball. Do you think WSU will follow suit just the same as Mich State, UF, UT, UL, and the rest of the teams and throw 2 or 3 players at him or match up one on one defending him?
                We'd probably throw a variety of looks at him to keep him off balanced. We have guards who are really good at digging on the post and creating steals and Randle is turnover prone. I would be surprised to see triple teams, but I'd expect to see a variety of double team looks plus a lot of post denial focus.

Comment

We'd probably throw a variety of looks at him to keep him off balanced. We have guards who are really good at digging on the post and creating steals and Randle is turnover prone. I would be surprised to see triple teams, but I'd expect to see a variety of double team looks plus a lot of post denial focus.
                  Variety of looks is what would work best. Randle is at his best when starting out from the top of the key with a one on one against a slower 4 or 5 man. He's also great on the breaks to finish. Super fast for his size and has handles. The turnovers come from going to deep into the post and trying to kick it out with 3 defenders around him. I'm sure WSU coach will be able to toss a game plan to the kids and they'll pick it up quick and execute it.

Harrell is all dunks for the most part on back door lobs. Extremely athletic and leaps off two feet. If you body him up he gets frustrated. Has a decent short range game. Get him in foul trouble with pump fakes and you take a big part of UL's game away.

Comment

On the one hand this is a very difficult looking schedule. On the other hand, I still think winning against the opener and then the winner of K-State/Kentucky is very doable. Difficult but doable. The chief danger is Louisville and how do we react to Louisville. I think we can beat them, assuming that dick Karl Hess doesn't rig the game again, but the let down affect could hurt us in the elite 8. Oh well its March Madness gotta love it and hey last year we had a bracket that looked just as bad. Gonzaga, Ohio St. a feisty LaSalle Team, Pitt, and Louisville. I think this team has the experience, talent, and focus to go deep again. They might only go to the elite 8, but I don't think Kansas even makes it bast round two.

Comment

My guess is that Chadrack would get a majority of the time guarding Randle. Chadrack is the quickest of the big men and also probably the best match-up strength wise for Randle.

Kadeem and Darius will do a fine job I'm sure.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                        Vegas isn't very happy with the Committee.

Not sure if you guys know who Alan Boston is, but he's a pretty famous sports bettor, and his Twitter feed is interesting to read with his reactions to the seedings. https://twitter.com/bostonred88

A
                        lso "Wichita State is now 15-to-1 to win the title, tied with Virginia for the highest odds out of the No. 1 seeds behind Florida and Arizona at 7-to-1.“I just let people bet them all year, and they just kept doing it,” Salmons said of the Shockers. “It adds up. I finally lowered them to 10-to-1 but when I saw this region come out, I had to up them. Their true odds of winning this thing would have to be close to 100-to-1.”" from http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...aa-tournament/

“I’m not a big Wichita guy, but I feel bad for them,” Salmons said. “The committee screwed them so bad.”
                        I know Vegas is supposed to know their stuff, but he lost me at the tweet where he said he had Iowa at #11 overall.

Comment

Here's some stuff from the committee: http://college-basketball.si.com/201...aa-tournament/

On Kentucky’s No. 8 seed: “The factor that probably hurt Kentucky as much as anything is that they had two wins against tournament teams, both of which occurred in December. And they had 14 wins against top 100 teams, but the majority of those were in the 75 to 100 range.”

No. 1 seed Wichita State may not have been able to get as many quality games as it wanted, but it won all 34 that it did play, and was under greater consideration for the top overall seed than it was for a spot on the two-seed line.

And Wellman insisted what looked like a Group of Death assignment for a 34-0 team – the Shockers are joined by Michigan, Duke, Louisville and Kentucky, among others – was merely fair play.

Comment

Here is my take. Yes, we could end up 40-0 because we play very solid Defense. Early on, as we all watched Midnight Madness, Kentucky was the Media darling. Yes, they are very talented but young and we can beat them if they beat K-State. After all, we signed Mr. Stutz way back when and they did not. St. Louis will be like a Home game to our road warriors. Louisville was hosed on seeding IMO but I don't think they are quite as good as last Season. However, I do believe we are slightly better than last Season. Obviously, our Bracket is the toughest bracket which makes me very proud we are a number 1 Seed. Even my KU friends feel bad for us. At least they say they do. Tsk, tsk, tsk. I like our chances better than theirs. It is what it is and I have no doubts that our beloved Shockers will come out swinging and give it their all in each and every game.

We were 31-0, and then 3-0 and the only undefeated team left. Now for the new Season where 1 out of 68 out of the somewhere around 351, will go 6-0 at the Dance. The farther we go, the quieter the "I TOLD YOU SO CROWD" will be. We already have demanded respect with a growing and improving program. Now we have the opportunity to play many of the "best of the best," which is what we have wanted all along. Sleep well tonight. Our Shocks will not be intimidated and will be prepared to give this Dance our all.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Slam21 View Post
                              Variety of looks is what would work best. Randle is at his best when starting out from the top of the key with a one on one against a slower 4 or 5 man. He's also great on the breaks to finish. Super fast for his size and has handles. The turnovers come from going to deep into the post and trying to kick it out with 3 defenders around him. I'm sure WSU coach will be able to toss a game plan to the kids and they'll pick it up quick and execute it.

Harrell is all dunks for the most part on back door lobs. Extremely athletic and leaps off two feet. If you body him up he gets frustrated. Has a decent short range game. Get him in foul trouble with pump fakes and you take a big part of UL's game away.

If we both get to the S16, it will be one hell of a game. We know how good you were last year and we know you are improved. We also know that we are not the same team as last year. We have started to gell over the last 6 weeks, but we don't really know how good we are, because like you guys, we have not played one of the top 10-15 teams. I think our SOS is similar to yours and our KenPom numbers are also close. Like I said, have no idea how it will turn out, but if you take us out you will have a lot of Card fans rooting for you to go the distance.

As far as the UK guy's assessment, I think he believes that you won't be able to handle Randle. You will. Randle's turnovers come from his continual attempt to lower the ball and spin to drive, even when double teamed. He does not often throw it out and that is why his teammates think of him as "The black hole". For that reason, through most of the season, the selfish guards and wings refused to pass to him.

If you guys have no fear of our transition game, and you really shouldn't, you have nothing to fear from Kentucky. Their guards and wings are slow and they are not in great physical shape. Watch some of their games. hey were winded, and their coach had no idea how to rotate them in and out. He admitted as much when he stated two weeks ago that he holds the players responsible for taking themselves out of the game. Can you imagine Marshall counting on your players to determine the rotation? lol

As far as Montrezl Harrell, he has stepped it up big time this year. Only 6'8" but has 7'6" reach. Has developed some moves and a mid range jump shot. As far as fouls,Harrell does not foul all that often (29 fouls in last 15 games with no DQ). Not trying to boast here at all. Just wanted to dispel the bs above.

If you are as tough as you were last year, and I'm a sure you are, you can take care of UK early. They will drop like a prom dress! No heart. Soft. I'd love to see where we stand this year in that Sweet 16 game when you wipe these prima donnas out. Good luck and hope to see you in Indy.
                              Last edited by Cuttyhunk; March 17, 2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

We will survive this bracket because we are the best damn team in the country.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X