Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why our region is death (and why we might survive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why our region is death (and why we might survive)

The 2014 Midwest regional has been called the "group of death." And no wonder. The coaches in that that bracket have been to a staggering amount of Final Fours, and won an incredible number of championships. The top four seeds read like a who's who of last season, with three of them making the Final Four last year. The fourth was the preseason #4 team with a consensus first-team All-American, and they lost to the eventual champions last year in the Elite Eight. Going down the seedlines, you have the preseason #1 team with the so-called "best recruiting class of all-time," surprisingly good Tennessee and Iowa teams, and a tough defensive-minded Saint Louis team that gave us our toughest test of the season.

I've even heard some analysts call this the toughest regional since the NCAA shifted to the current 64 team format. But despite that, we call still survive and make it to the Final Four. For starters, there is no guarantee we'll even play the teams people are concerned about. Kansas State can beat Kentucky, Saint Louis can beat Louisville, and both Duke and Michigan could be upset. We like to imagine that we'll play all of the top seeds, but the tournament rarely sticks to the scripts we write for it.

Now, let's look at each of these dreaded matchups, starting with Kentucky. Kentucky is HUGE, at every position. Their starting backcourt is all 6'6", and their frontcourt is an intimidating 6'9 and 7'0. They don't get any smaller off the bench, bringing in a 6'8" SF and another 7'0" player, even sometimes running the tallest line-up in the nation at 6'6, 6'6', 6'8, 7'0, 7'0. We haven't played anything like that. But despite that, they haven't been able to exploit their size advantage very much. Their rebounding percentages (42.2% on offense, 70.1% on defense) aren't much better than ours (35.4%, 74.1%), and we are nearly identical at blocking shots (15.4% to 14.9%).

Meanwhile, Kentucky has positively struggled containing smaller perimeter players. They are #317 in the nation at stealing the ball, and Kentucky struggled to get good looks for its perimeter players, shooting 32.5% from beyond the arc. And in each of their 10 losses, they've let opposing guards light them up. Michigan State's Appling (6'1) and Harris (6'4) combined for 42. Baylor's Kenny Cherry (5'11) led them with 18. North Carolina's Marcus Paige (6'1) led all scorers with 23. Florida's Wilbekin (6'2) had 23 in their first meeting, while South Carolina's Brenton Williams (5'11) had 24. Even when they stop guards from scoring, they give them open lines for assists, like when LSU's Anthony Hickey had 11 points and 6 assists. Our strength is our ability to score from the perimeter, Kentucky's weakness is guarding it.

Louisville is a bit more formidable. On a neutral court, I would take them over any #2 or #3 seed, and might consider taking them over Virginia. But they rely on their ability to contain opponents backcourt threats and steal the ball. Unlike the teams they've been rolling, we have guards that can (and have) handled their pressure, and they aren't used to dealing with teams with a lot of perimeter options. When their press fails, like it did @ Cincinnati and @ North Carolina, they give up huge numbers to opposing guards (Marcus Paige had 32, while Sean Kilpatrick had 28). Memphis was able to beat them twice because Louisville could not contain all three of their perimeter options, whereas Louisville blew out UConn because of their reliance a single player (Napier). Even though Louisville is a VERY good team, we are one of the few teams that can match up well with their press. FVV actually matches up a lot better than Armstead did last year.

In the Elite Eight, we could face Michigan or Duke if they manage to make it that far. The teams are incredibly similar. Duke is #2 on offense, while Michigan is #3. On defense, Duke is #102 while Michigan is #104. Both rely on their shooting to win games, with offenses that get over a third of their points from beyond the arc. Duke has the best player, while Michigan is more balanced. But the key fact about both teams is that they are not complete teams. If they aren't shooting lights out from beyond the arc, they aren't going to beat us. Even if they do, they'll give us open looks and/or send us to the line (less so in Michigan's case). Honestly, this game looks easier than the game against Louisville, which isn't supposed to be a disrespect to either Duke or Michigan.

Finally, the #1 reason we can get out of this region is the top seed, Wichita State. We haven't just been playing good over our last few games, we've been dominant. Our starters have been out scoring opponents by over half a point a possession. We haven't been beating people by 40 like Louisville, but Louisville has simply been much more aggressive at pushing down their lesser competition, giving their bench about 60 minutes a game while keeping up their press. We've been going much deeper into our bench and avoided running up the score, consistently giving 4-5 bench players 10-20 minutes and rarely pressing with a lead. A very good case can be made that our starting five is the best in the nation right now, and they are playing at a higher level now than they have the entire rest of the season. To put it simply, if we play our best we can beat anyone.

TL;DR: This region is incredibly tough, but we can match up well against each other team. And right now, they should be asking how they are going to handle us even more than we should be asking how we are going to handle them.
    Last edited by CBB_Fan; March 17, 2014, 03:51 PM.

I think all of us on here look forward to watching every second of this bracket as is possible. It will be done very good basketball and interesting matchups. I can wait for the games to begin.

Comment

In other words, for as good as people think these other teams are, "wait until they get a load of [the Shox]."

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

one game at a time...love having a chip on the Shocks shoulders...ESPN analysts just providing fuel to the fire...Lets Do this...

Comment

Nice post.

Yes, our region is insanely tough. But we need to remember it's the region of death because teams like Wichita State are in it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
              In other words, for as good as people think these other teams are, "wait until they get a load of [the Shox]."

"Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Below is a table of my pet stats. I am sure they are not predictive of an outcome, but they have the benefit of increasing or decreasing hope.

If you would like to see the table expanded to include other stats, let me know and I will try to accommodate.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

No team in WSU's region is exceptionally well down low, which is what was said could give this team trouble. Honestly, the best big WSU will play this season is probably Mockevicius from Evensville.

Also, no team is as tough (or at least tougher) then this team on the defensive end. Which will almost guarantee to this team to be in every game they play in.

----

SIDE NOTE: I love now that WSU is in the tournament, it has become a "name on the front" in everyones brackets. These teams have to play WICHITA STATE, not the other way around.
                  The Assman

Comment

I was upset last night about the region right after it came out. The more I've thought about this, I agree with several other posters on the board -- we have an awesome opportunity to show that not only can we compete with the 'name programs,' but that we can beat them as well. This team already will never be forgotten - how much sweeter will it be if we knock off a combination of Kentucky, Louisville and Duke in order? Simply unforgettable.

Comment

[QUOTE=CBB_Fan;477909] To put it simply, if we play our best we can beat anyone.

QUOTE]

Ha, this can't be reasonably expected for the entirety for all 6 games. But we can play really well for huge stretches, and this team is so good that I think that it will be enough. Count me in with the crowd that was pissed last night, but now thinks that our team has been given a great opportunity to leave absolutely no doubt about their greatness.

Comment

Vegas isn't very happy with the Committee.

Not sure if you guys know who Alan Boston is, but he's a pretty famous sports bettor, and his Twitter feed is interesting to read with his reactions to the seedings. https://twitter.com/bostonred88

A
                        lso "Wichita State is now 15-to-1 to win the title, tied with Virginia for the highest odds out of the No. 1 seeds behind Florida and Arizona at 7-to-1.“I just let people bet them all year, and they just kept doing it,” Salmons said of the Shockers. “It adds up. I finally lowered them to 10-to-1 but when I saw this region come out, I had to up them. Their true odds of winning this thing would have to be close to 100-to-1.”" from http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...aa-tournament/

“I’m not a big Wichita guy, but I feel bad for them,” Salmons said. “The committee screwed them so bad.”
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post

Not sure if you guys know who Alan Boston is, but he's a pretty famous sports bettor, and his Twitter feed is interesting to read with his reactions to the seedings. https://twitter.com/bostonred88

A
                          lso "Wichita State is now 15-to-1 to win the title, tied with Virginia for the highest odds out of the No. 1 seeds behind Florida and Arizona at 7-to-1.“I just let people bet them all year, and they just kept doing it,” Salmons said of the Shockers. “It adds up. I finally lowered them to 10-to-1 but when I saw this region come out, I had to up them. Their true odds of winning this thing would have to be close to 100-to-1.”" from http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...aa-tournament/

“I’m not a big Wichita guy, but I feel bad for them,” Salmons said. “The committee screwed them so bad.”
                          I wish Alan would tell us what he really thinks.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post

Also "Wichita State is now 15-to-1 to win the title, tied with Virginia for the highest odds out of the No. 1 seeds behind Florida and Arizona at 7-to-1.“I just let people bet them all year, and they just kept doing it,” Salmons said of the Shockers. “It adds up. I finally lowered them to 10-to-1 but when I saw this region come out, I had to up them. Their true odds of winning this thing would have to be close to 100-to-1.”" from http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...aa-tournament/

The article could not be more scathing of the Selection Committee.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                              TL;DR: This region is incredibly tough, but we can match up well against each other team. And right now, they should be asking how they are going to handle us even more than we should be asking how we are going to handle them.
                              Nice write up!
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X