Certain Groups' Speculation Over Team Violations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain Groups' Speculation Over Team Violations

Last night I subjected myself to various fan message boards (phognet, MSU's, ESPN, etc.) and a couple different times I read of speculation that Wichita State has been violating NCAA policies and will eventually be discovered. I think this is just jealousy and insecurity talking but some people were claiming that three different players have been set up working at Lubbers Auto Group over the years while waiting on eligibility. To them, this "raises some eyebrows." Now I knew of Armstead and his working at Lubbers, but they were also claiming that Coleby and Baker did this as well.

1. Is this true about Baker and Coleby? Is there an actual article or link confirming this? I couldn't find anything but their whining.
    2. Does this seem at all weird to you?
    3. Why can't people just concede a little bit of recognition of our talent?

(This is basically my first topic and I'm nervous to start it. Don't eat me alive.)

I saw some of that speculation, too. And I think that's all it is.

Those fans choose to believe that their own programs have no chance to sniff the heights we've achieved without cheating. It's like chanting, "overrated".

Comment

It is not against NCAA regulations for athletes to have jobs. I know the employers have to fill out a crap-load of paperwork and I know that the WSU compliance office takes this stuff very seriously.

Comment

No one is going to eat you alive (unless it is discovered you are a troll and in that case all bets are off). It was widely reported that Malcolm had a job during his transfer year -- it was one of the feel-good stories at last year's Final Four. As to Baker and Coleby, I have no clue but what is wrong with a student athlete having a paying job during a sit-out year. Now if it is proven they were grossly overpaid for what work they did or that they were paid and didn't work at all, then that is a different story. But this is how rumors get started. Not going to worry about it or give it any more press until such time as a small thing like "facts" emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          It is not against NCAA regulations for athletes to have jobs. I know the employers have to fill out a crap-load of paperwork and I know that the WSU compliance office takes this stuff very seriously.
          Isnt this the same office that cost us an NCAA bid during Hannah's Senior Year?

Comment

NOBODY was going to PAY Baker to come be a walk-on. Armstead is a little different if one wanted to believe that. Antoine Carr used to work with my Dad at Carlson's Manufacturing in the early 80s. He did little work (janitorial) and played pick-up ball with the other employees occasionally, but he collected a paycheck for his time there and that's it. Not against NCAA rules.
            Livin the dream

Comment

I imagine their implication is that they were setup in these jobs and given improper benefits or, possibly, paid without doing any actual work in order to support their sitting.

I do call B.S. as well though. Especially since the story of Armstead was so widespread last year that if it raised any red flags it would've been researched already.

Comment

I noticed in the Eagle a couple of days ago that HCGM said that Coleby had already graduated. Sounds like he was applying himself to the degree work during his sit out year.

Comment

Coleby was the only one on scholarship during the sit-out year, IIRC. Isn't there a different set of rules for non-scholarship athletes?
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

You're not gonna make everyone happy. Just enjoy being a Shocker fan and let the idiots continue being idiots.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by coran13 View Post
                      Last night I subjected myself to various fan message boards (phognet, MSU's, ESPN, etc.) and a couple different times I read of speculation that Wichita State has been violating NCAA policies and will eventually be discovered. I think this is just jealousy and insecurity talking but some people were claiming that three different players have been set up working at Lubbers Auto Group over the years while waiting on eligibility. To them, this "raises some eyebrows." Now I knew of Armstead and his working at Lubbers, but they were also claiming that Coleby and Baker did this as well.

1. Is this true about Baker and Coleby? Is there an actual article or link confirming this? I couldn't find anything but their whining.
                      2. Does this seem at all weird to you?
                      3. Why can't people just concede a little bit of recognition of our talent?

(This is basically my first topic and I'm nervous to start it. Don't eat me alive.)
                      Those players were not on scholarship and not part of the team anymore than you or I would be. Consider the sources. They paid their own way and took out student loans. They have a right to work to pay them off.
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Don't worry yourself with them. It was widely reported on Armstead that he missed a lot of practices as a redshirt walkon to go to work and make money to pay off his loan.

Comment

It's not a violation to offer them jobs. It's a violation to pay kids for doing nothing. There is a huge difference. I personally believe WSU is doing everything correctly.
                          "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Sore Loser Syndrome, also known as Insecurity (or Butthurt) Disease.

People want what we have and will say anything to diminish what we've done. Embrace the hate and patheticness and move on.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Sour f'ing grapes. Perfectly legal and at some level, ingenious

Comment

Working...
                              X