Jamie Arnold in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie Arnold in the house

Besides all those free throw line jumpers, what I remember most of Jamie was him walking off the floor during a game and returning to the student section eating a hot dog. My memory is fuzzy, but did he return to the team after that?

Feb 15, 1997

Comment

What an absolute joke!
      Livin the dream

Comment

he had a trainwreck ending to his career but I was a huge Jamie Arnold fan. Glad to see him back in the house.

Comment

Rebound like Jamie Arnold!!
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/...-game/24746602

Besides all those free throw line jumpers, what I remember most of Jamie was him walking off the floor during a game and returning to the student section eating a hot dog. My memory is fuzzy, but did he return to the team after that?
            Yes, I remember that game. He was kicked off the team for the final 4 games of the season. He had a lot of talent but seemed to be very immature and selfish.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/...-game/24746602

That was one of the all time classic player incidents at WSU. At the time is wasn't so cool but in retrospect it was hilarious.
              "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                Yes, I remember that game. He was kicked off the team for the final 4 games of the season. He had a lot of talent but seemed to be very immature and selfish.
                Not sure I would agree. This program was in the abyss and believe it or not it's not always the players faults. The coaching staff had a lot to do with everyone's misery at the time. I don't believe Jamie is a bad character. I'll reserve that to the likes of another Jamie who was last caught stuffing Haertl's sidekick in a locker.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                  Not sure I would agree. This program was in the abyss and believe it or not it's not always the players faults. The coaching staff had a lot to do with everyone's misery at the time. I don't believe Jamie is a bad character. I'll reserve that to the likes of another Jamie who was last caught stuffing Haertl's sidekick in a locker.
                  Couldn't agree more with this. I can't speak to how Jamie was as a person in college but I DO know that coach RS was an impossible person for many to deal with as a D1 college coach. I've heard from several players that were under his tutilage that all say it was arguably the worst times of their careers. Being a demanding coach is one thing but RS had some serious demons and that reflected back to the players. I've never spoke to one of his players at WSU that liked him at all. There are good reasons he only coached at WSU for 4 years.

In fairness, however, I suppose I should add that I have heard that many of his JUCO players did like him.
                  Last edited by jpshocker; March 1, 2014, 09:37 AM.
                  "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    This.

I remember his talent and how it could have been, as well as my disappointment in how it ended up.

Comment

Originally posted by jpshocker View Post
                      Couldn't agree more with this. I can't speak to how Jamie was as a person in college but I DO know that coach RS was an impossible person for many to deal with as a D1 college coach. I've heard from several players that were under his tutilage that all say it was arguably the worst times of their careers. Being a demanding coach is one thing but RS had some serious demons and that reflected back to the players. I've never spoke to one of his players at WSU that liked him at all. There are good reasons he only coached at WSU for 4 years.

In fairness, however, I suppose I should add that I have heard that many of his JUCO players did like him.
                      I believe Chris Grill liked him. I would REALLY have liked to see Mo Evans play for Marshall. Evans with a green light and set plays would be a monster!
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                        It sounds like you perceive Randy a certain way and I agree that he was a flawed human being. Probably neither Jamie or Randy was blameless and I wouldn't know about the ins and outs of this situation. However, Jamie was obviously an immature 21 or 22 year old who had a serious character flaw. Nothing exposes these flaws like a player who publicly exposes his coach during a game by deserting his teammates, walking away from his team during a game, and going into the crowd with a hotdog with 9-10K fans watching everything. Jamie probably (at least I hope that he does) considers this to be an embarrassing episode in his life that he wishes he could get back. I think that it would be safe to say that almost all of us wouldn't have handled this situation the way he did.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          It sounds like you perceive Randy a certain way and I agree that he was a flawed human being. Probably neither Jamie or Randy was blameless and I wouldn't know about the ins and outs of this situation. However, Jamie was obviously an immature 21 or 22 year old who had a serious character flaw. Nothing exposes these flaws like a player who publicly exposes his coach during a game by deserting his teammates, walking away from his team during a game, and going into the crowd with a hotdog with 9-10K fans watching everything. Jamie probably (at least I hope that he does) considers this to be an embarrassing episode in his life that he wishes he could get back. I think that it would be safe to say that almost all of us wouldn't have handled this situation the way he did.
                          One of the problems was the character of players that Thompson brought in. Even if Arnold was a "good guy", playing with that crew and then trying to adjust to Smithson would be horrendous! Those that craved structure succeeded (to some degree). Those that didn't failed miserably.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            I believe Chris Grill liked him. I would REALLY have liked to see Mo Evans play for Marshall. Evans with a green light and set plays would be a monster!
                            I've often wondered the same thing with Maurice. I think the issues with him and RS definitely went both ways but imagine him under HCGM with pieces around him. He would have been incredible.

Comment

Randy had a lot of good qualities and a lot of players liked him for his tenacity, treating everyone the same,willingness to hold stars accountable, and other really good coaching qualities. However, chemical dependency and the coaching profession (probably most professions) don't mix well. I think this is the biggest reason (there were other less important ones) that his communication qualities failed. I wish he would have had some really good coaching mentors who could guided him.

Comment

Working...
                              X