Let's do this: Who is this year's MVP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    Even though the numbers above do not show Cle that well, I think it is important to remember that he draws a lot of defensive pressure off his teammates, yet still managed to lead the team in scoring in 3 of the 7 games.
    Great analysis, and that is why Cle is the MVP. The attention he gets from the defense opens up offensive options for the other three Horsemen. It's like Cotton's defense--you can't necessarily see it in the stats but without it we wouldn't be 30-0.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I'm going with Early. FVV makes everybodsy look better. Early lets FVV make everybody look better. Defenses have to cheat on covering Early. that makes it easier for FVV to find other open players or drive to the hoop.

If Early were a more selfish player, I think he'd have the numbers to clearly be the pick, but WSU might not have the W/L numbers they have now.

Early has a lot of intangibles that don't show in the stats and may be missed by casual observers. Just as an example, if Cle is covered on the block, but has potential rebounding position, the perimeter guys have a new level of confidence. If their shot happenbs to be off, Cle is there to get the board or a put back.

Watch the position of the post players when the perimeter guys put up shots. There's a reason why the Shox get a lot of offensive boards.

Defenses have to guard Early on the perimeter, deny him a drive to the hoop, deny him an entry pass when he's on the block, box him out when he's in a set to put him in rebounding position when a perimeter player puts it up. And more.

Most effective post players demand a double when they get the ball down low. Early demands about 1-1/2 defenders anywhere on the floor, regardless of whether he has the ball or not. That makes it easier for the rest of the team.

Plus, he's a Sr. FVV has more chances for PoY.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'd bet just about anything that Fred wins it. I hate to see it not go to Cleanthony being a senior, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Fred.

Comment

I gotta go with Cleanthony. There was a stretch of games there where Fred an Ron didn't play particulalry well and Early bailed us out with his offense.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
            If I was drafting a Dream Team from the Valley this year, I'd have FVV, Baker, Cotton, Early, and Mock from Evansville. I think he'd be an absolute monster under Marshall's system (and be in better shape, his main drawback).

I'd go with FVV as the team MVP. I think he's the one guy that, if we didn't have him, there is no chance we'd be undefeated. But it's so damn close for all four.
            Not Tuttle? He's one of the top ten best players in the history of the MVC

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              I found this interesting. I looked at what I thought was our 7 toughest games: BYU, @St Louis, TN, @Alabama, @MSU, @IN St, and @UNI.
              Total minutes played in these games: Cotton 247, FVV 245, Baker 217, and Early 205.
              Number of these games played 35+ minutes: Cotton 6, FVV 2, Baker 2, and Early 2
              Number of these games played 30+ minutes: FVV 7, Cotton 6, Baker 5, and Early 4
              High scorer in these games: Early 3, Cotton 2, and Baker 2.
              I was impressed that in these most important games, Cotton was on the floor the most from game to game whether he was scoring or not. However, he did show he could also put up top scoring numbers.
              Even though the numbers above do not show Cle that well, I think it is important to remember that he draws a lot of defensive pressure off his teammates, yet still managed to lead the team in scoring in 3 of the 7 games.
              A running joke I have with my wife is before each game I say "This game will go as Cotton goes... like always." I first said it before the Tenn game when Baker was supposed to be out. But it just kept being true. I think you made a great argument for Cotton and I think he will get the reward he wants -- Defensive POY. That award should already be back from the engravers by now along with an apology for last year.

Comment

How in the holy (___________) and name of (__________) can anybody in their right mind vote, the 41 of you know who you are) vote for a tiny unathletic point guard who can't get to the rim? I'm utterly astounded. Call the white coats.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                  A running joke I have with my wife is before each game I say "This game will go as Cotton goes... like always." I first said it before the Tenn game when Baker was supposed to be out. But it just kept being true. I think you made a great argument for Cotton and I think he will get the reward he wants -- Defensive POY. That award should already be back from the engravers by now along with an apology for last year.
                  After he wins it next years as well, I'm hoping they rename the defensive poy award to the tekele cotton award
                  I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                  If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

The three headed monster is the most valuable to me.

Without Darius, Kadeem and C.J., we would be in a world of hurt.

If you add their stats, after every game, then you will see the stats of a valuable player.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Tekele of Steele wins this years MVP in my opinion. Love that guy!

Comment

I guess you get to be 30-0 and #2 in the nation when Ron Baker is voted as the 4th MVP on your team, by your own fans.

Comment

My vote is an option not listed. The player on the court to close out the big winS... Simon!
                          Phi Alpha

Comment

This is truly one year where you can honestly say that the POY is the Wichita State TEAM. I realize that this is an individual award and not a team award, but this season has just been so special that perhaps something special like the TEAM being awarded the POY award is appropriate. When has the whole ever been so much greater than the sum of is parts. Just a wonderful thing.

Go Shocks! Let's put the exclamation point on this season.

Comment

I don't subscribe to the "give it to a senior just because he's a senior" theory. If FVV has earned it three years in a row then so be it. It would be wrong to short change that incredible feat just because someone is a senior ahead of him. If Ron Baker steals it from him next year, that's fine too. Whoever gets it should earn it. We couldn't go wrong with any of the Four Horsemen winning it. But right now I think it's FVV's to lose.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                I don't subscribe to the "give it to a senior just because he's a senior" theory. If FVV has earned it three years in a row then so be it. It would be wrong to short change that incredible feat just because someone is a senior ahead of him. If Ron Baker steals it from him next year, that's fine too. Whoever gets it should earn it. We couldn't go wrong with any of the Four Horsemen winning it. But right now I think it's FVV's to lose.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X