Marshall vs. the "elite" coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall vs. the "elite" coaches

Got bored and looked at some coaching W-L's through how long Marshall has been coaching (16 seasons total). Here are the results.

Coach Wins Losses PCT NCAA App Final 4 Nat Champ
    Coach K 336 167 .67 8 5 1
    Jim Boeheim 391 115 .77 14 1 0
    Bill Self 376 145 .72 11 1 1
    Bob Knight 333 118 .74 6 3 2
    Gregg Marshall 363 153 .70 9 1 0

I would like to point out that many of the other coaches not named Gregg have all coached in a "major" conference. And all but maybe two you could make a case that they were handed a program on the rise.

Boeheim won a N.C. against KU back in 2000 or 2001, somewhere around there.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
      Boeheim won a N.C. against KU back in 2000 or 2001, somewhere around there.
      I believe the stats are through each coach's first 16 seasons.

Comment

Yep, JB would have been well into his 3rd decade as a head coach by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocks2005 View Post
          Got bored and looked at some coaching W-L's through how long Marshall has been coaching (16 seasons total). Here are the results.

Coach Wins Losses PCT NCAA App Final 4 Nat Champ
          Coach K 336 167 .67 8 5 1
          Jim Boeheim 391 115 .77 14 1 0
          Bill Self 376 145 .72 11 1 1
          Bob Knight 333 118 .74 6 3 2
          Gregg Marshall 363 153 .70 9 1 0

I would like to point out that many of the other coaches not named Gregg have all coached in a "major" conference. And all but maybe two you could make a case that they were handed a program on the rise.
          What would be really interesting is the road and neutral court records if all listed
          Last edited by shoxlax; February 26, 2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

There is no doubt that 3G is an elite coach and we are fortunate to have him here. We are also fortunate that he marches to the beat of his own drum and wasn't looking for the first BCS job that came along. Hopefully he retires here in about 20 years with multiple NC's and will make a fine living giving motivational speeches. The man is just a winner plain and simple.

Comment

Question to ponder. This season is obviously making him a hot commodity. No doubt the big sharks will be swimming. I'm interested to know how many schools have a contract like Duke gave Coach K with a lifetime contract. Should that be something we consider? I mean. Like posted before, no doubt HCGM is on his way to elite coach status do we need to go out of the box and throw something like that at him? Rename a few buildings and/or streets around town? How much carpet should we roll out for a guy in attempts to help keep him for a very long time?

Good coaches are hard to come by. Great ones even harder.

Comment

Question to ponder. This season is obviously making him a hot commodity. No doubt the big sharks will be swimming. I'm interested to know how many schools have a contract like Duke gave Coach K with a lifetime contract. Should that be something we consider? I mean. Like posted before, no doubt HCGM is on his way to elite coach status do we need to go out of the box and throw something like that at him? Rename a few buildings and/or streets around town? How much carpet should we roll out for a guy in attempts to help keep him for a very long time?

Answer, YES. A million times yes.

Comment

Is mayor not enough, maybe governor?
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Let's just name every street after him. I know finding an address will get confusing, but I think it's worth it.

Comment

Bring home the National Championship, then we can talk about renaming city property. Until then just keep throwing money, love, and a statue in front of Koch at him. The size of the statue shall be based on HC3GM's actual testical size -- meaning we are already looking at a 10 footer and increasing in size every season.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

A coach was left out. I'd like to see how Calipari stacks up. Or is an NIT comparison all the further we need to go?
                        Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
                          I believe the stats are through each coach's first 16 seasons.
                          Ahh, my bad. Thanks for checkin' me.

Comment

I think Winthrop tried some of that, didn't they?

I don't think a court, building, or street being named after him will keep him in town. He'll stay or he'll leave based on his own decision. He's well on his way to having the court named after him and a statue put out front of him regardless, and he essentially has a lifetime contract already.

I guess we could do some of those things, but I don't think they would prevent him from taking the maybe five jobs in college basketball I could see him leaving for (and I've thought about the NBA, but I don't see him ending there.)
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Speed View Post
                              A coach was left out. I'd like to see how Calipari stacks up. Or is an NIT comparison all the further we need to go?
                              Cal was 328-130 I believe. I subtracted the 4-1 NCAA tourney record that was vacated at UMass and the 38-2 record that was vacated at Memphis in his 16th year.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X