What 30-0 means to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 30-0 means to me

I saw my first Shocker game during the Fogler era but my first clear memories are of the Cohen and Thompson years. That's why this statistic is so amazing to me:

2013-2014 season: 30 wins and counting
    Mike Cohen's entire tenure (3 years): 32 wins
    Scott Thompson's entire tenure (4 years): 40 wins

So that amazing feeling you get a few times a week (when the Shockers win; what did you think I meant?)--imagine waiting months between wins, knowing a road game meant a loss, knowing a home game probably did too, knowing half the team would leave each year, and being generally bereft of hope. The older posters here remember this but many of them remember good years before. The younger posters might remember .500 ball under Smithson or maybe just almost continual improvement under Turgeon and Marshall. But for me, I saw the worst and that makes me appreciate the best.

Appreciate.

Thank you. I agree it's important to remember the 90's. Not only does it make what's going on right now sweeter, it helps keep us humble.

Comment

I am amazed you are still a Shocker fan if your first clear memories are of Cohen...congrats!

Comment

Props to all of the fans who never wavered. Who always felt deep down that someday this sleeping giant would awaken. To the 6-7k of us who sat through the decade of depression and still knew that something good was coming. I am so proud of our team, coaches and administration. Wichita State basketball is special. Wichita is a special city. The Wichita State fan base is special. This is a dream for me. I am loving it! And yet there is more.

Comment

For me it means we're one win away from 31-0.

Comment

Originally posted by DCShockerFan05 View Post
            I saw my first Shocker game during the Fogler era but my first clear memories are of the Cohen and Thompson years. That's why this statistic is so amazing to me:

2013-2014 season: 30 wins and counting
            Mike Cohen's entire tenure (3 years): 32 wins
            Scott Thompson's entire tenure (4 years): 40 wins

So that amazing feeling you get a few times a week (when the Shockers win; what did you think I meant?)--imagine waiting months between wins, knowing a road game meant a loss, knowing a home game probably did too, knowing half the team would leave each year, and being generally bereft of hope. The older posters here remember this but many of them remember good years before. The younger posters might remember .500 ball under Smithson or maybe just almost continual improvement under Turgeon and Marshall. But for me, I saw the worst and that makes me appreciate the best.

Appreciate.
            DITTO!
            "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Those bad years I can remember JJ saying "Hey only 59 more days till Shocker Baseball starts". Thats how bad it used to be. But as others have alluded to there were always a solid core of fans that went to each game. At one time I hoped we would be able to have a top 50 type team year in and year out and push to get to the ncaa every couple of years. I never dared to hope that the program would be where it is now and on a sustained level. Thank you Shocks and all of the fans that support all of our student athletes.

Comment

I'll check back in on this thread after another 10 games...
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

This season means more to me in the context of being around to watch this special group of young men and coaches. Not only are they great on the court, they are humble and quality men off the court as well. Couldn't be more appreciative to be able to enjoy this ride with them.

Comment

Yup I actually became a Shocker fan as a kid during Cohen 2nd year. Even then it was Shockers and no one else, even only winning 10 games a year.
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

q

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        I'll check back in on this thread after another 10 games...
                        Yeah. I get that. Just taking time to reflect and appreciate what is happening. If you're suggesting that we will turn on them if they happen to implode, that ain't happening. I hope you mean that 10 more games could conclude the greatest story in college basketball history.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                          Yup I actually became a Shocker fan as a kid during Cohen 2nd year. Even then it was Shockers and no one else, even only winning 10 games a year.
                          Fogler for me. But this!

Comment

The best part of this for me is thinking back to the Stallworth days when I first started going to games. That leads to thoughts of my folks and my Grandpa. They took me as many games as I wanted to go to and I wanted to go to them all. This run feels to old me the same as I remember it feeling to 10 year old me. It brings back lots of warm, long forgotten memories. Long time coming and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Thanks Grandpa for making me a Shocker!
                            One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

@AjsSkillAcademy: Every time I see Wichita State I think about these Clowns and all the stuff we went through. @RamonClemente http://twitter.com/AjsSkillAcademy/s...114048/photo/1
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                              X