Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Visiting an Old but Valid Argument

My random thought of the day is...

To the naysayers on other national forums and media that say if Wichita St. was in the Big-12, Big-10, ACC, etc....that Wichita St. would be a .500 team or below. Well...over the years the popular theory here on ShockerNet was that "if" Wichita St. was in one of those conferences...Wichita St. would have an equal "ability" to attract and recruit 3, 4 and 5 star players consistently just like a lot of the BCS schools. So the argument is still valid in my view that conference affiliation is huge in that regard.

And on the other hand...when those same type of people say that if so-and-so BCS school played in the Valley that their team would rule the Valley. Okay sure...nice point. BUT if a BCS school was in the Valley....would that BCS school still be able to recruit the same type of players they are used to getting????? I think not.

The same would and could be said about the whole scheduling thing. Would Clemson, Boston College, Ole Miss, Wisconsin, Villanova, Georgetown, Duke, Arizona, Florida, hell even Kansas, etc. be able to schedule one and one's if they were stuck in a conference called the Missouri Valley?????

Having said ALL that.....I wouldn't trade ANY of our guys for ANY of their guys!!! MTXE ALL the WAY!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

It must really be a random thought if it's wondered off of the random thoughts thread.

Comment

I have said that many times. Switch WSU and K-State many, many years ago...and Manhattan is just another Springfield or Cedar Falls. If KU was in the Valley this year, Bill Self wouldn't be coaching there, and Andrew Wiggins wouldn't be playing there. Also, we already have an excellent homecourt atmosphere at Koch. If we had KU, K-State, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, etc. coming into our building every year (with us being in the Big 12), we'd be having Florida State-2004/Creighton-2013/Iowa-1981 atmospheres every game.
      78-65

Comment

I love these thoughts...never really looked at it that way before.

Comment

If waltzing into the championship is the ultimate goal and the MVC is so weak, please, we welcome you with open arms to join our conference (talking to KU, Syracuse, etc. here). We could use some competition.

Comment

I agree with that notion, but this year I think the discussion is more along of the lines of, "what if this WSU team were in the Big 12" etc. This team, not the program.

Comment

Yes, they sure like asking that question but not a one of them (or their favorite teams) will volunteer to do anything about it. Not a one will play WSU and not a one would vote to have WSU in their conference. It's a no-win situation, but perfect for them to bash us with.

Comment

So ..... when WSU wins the title this yr ,,, then what ??? was the Valley weak ? man would it not be cool to make the championship game and then say Hmmm wunder how the # 2 team from the valley woulda done in the dance
                From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Marshall is taking WSU above conference. The program stands on its own. Anything we get from our conference is a bonus. This argument wont matter or be brought up once we have a solid run of NCAA tournament excellence.

We will start getting some good OOC games as well.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                  X