ACC vs MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACC vs MVC

In comparing Syracuse and Wichita State, it has been well established that Syracuse played a far weakern non-con than WSU, but has a better overall SOS due to ACC stength. We all know how much BCS teams cower at the thought of playing on the road, so I thought I would look at the non-con true road numbers for both conferences.

Conference Road Games Games Per Team Wins Loses Winning %
    ACC 29 1.9 10 19 34.4%
    MVC 39 3.9 14 25 35.8%

For the total non-con schedule, the ACC winning % was 71.5%. MVC teams played 34.5% of their non-con games in true road situations compared to 15.3% for ACC teams.

Based on their non-road winning percentage of 78.9% and their road winning percentage of 34.4%, if ACC teams had played the same percentage of their non-con on the road as MVC teams did, their overall winning percentage would have dropped to 63.6% from its current 72.1% mark.

The key takeaway is that records get really inflated when you never have to play away from home. This also reinforces why conference road wins, even over bad teams, are so valuable. It is hard to beat anyone on the road. The way BCS conferences handle it is by never doing so until conference play, then talking up how good their non-con conference record was.
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; February 16, 2014, 08:56 PM. Reason: Correcting miscount
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Get this to Mark Adams!

Comment

Interesting, but…What was the level of competion? SIU, Loyola, and Evansville were plain bad against bad competition.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        Interesting, but…What was the level of competion? SIU, Loyola, and Evansville were plain bad against bad competition.
        Here are the ACC's road wins:

Charleston, Cal St. Fullerton, Savannah St., Georgia, Charlotte, Central Florida, Tennessee, UNC Greensboro, Michigan St., and St. Johns

And the ACC's road losses:

Green Bay, Tennessee, Belmont, Texas, UAB, Cincinnati, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Minnesota, Ohio St., Iowa, Xavier, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, Providence, Purdue, Southern Cal, Harvard

You are absolutely right about the bottom of the Valley racking up some bad road losses. One of the other advantages the ACC has is that many of their bottom half teams barely went on the road at all. Virgina Tech didn't play a single non-con road game and Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and Maryland played 1 each.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

What is IUPUIs record against the mvc? What is the DII record against the mvc?
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
            What is IUPUIs record against the mvc? What is the DII record against the mvc?
            IUPUI is 1-3 vs the MVC. If I have time later, I'll figure the DII numbers if you really want them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
              IUPUI is 1-3 vs the MVC. If I have time later, I'll figure the DII numbers if you really want them.
              Yes please. I thought IUPUI did better than that. I'll have too check the scores later.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                Yes please. I thought IUPUI did better than that. I'll have too check the scores later.
                MVC is 11-0 against DII teams.

Comment

Working...
                X