An interesting non-conf games idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting non-conf games idea

I saw this article linked on twitter, with the person suggesting WSU, Creighton, Nebraska and Iowa State do something similar.

That is an interesting idea. What 3 cities would this group of teams tour?

Comment

Two things:

1. These are really safe games. Win and you are Top 5, lose and you are Top 10. Until the national media and the selection committee demonstrate that you have to go better than .500 against Top30 competition to be in the Top 10 and receive a 1 seed this sort of schedule is the way to go.
      2. I see things like this and then wonder why people are surprised they are struggling to sell tickets to fill their home arenas. A vast majority of worthwhile non-conference games occur at neutral locations.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        That is an interesting idea. What 3 cities would this group of teams tour?
        I think it would need to be at home-city arenas - Wichita, Omaha, Ames and Lincoln. In Wichita it could be at either Koch or Intrust. I suppose Des Moines would work in place of Ames, too.

Comment

How about we just meet up at the Sprint Center and call it good?
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

To do it a little differently you could have WSU, Creighton, Kansas State, Missouri. Or you could have Nebraska or Iowa State or Iowa as one of the others. Play them all at say the Sprint Center and start on a Saturday with a mid week game on tues or weds and the final series on the next saturday. No flying involved and you finish the thing in a week. Fans could easily drive for the game and spend the day/night or watch all the games or go home until the next set of games.

Comment

Why not the the best teams from a 4 state area?

Mizzou
              Creighton
              Colorado
              Wichita State

I've been saying we need to do something like this. I wish it would happen.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                To do it a little differently you could have WSU, Creighton, Kansas State, Missouri. Or you could have Nebraska or Iowa State or Iowa as one of the others. Play them all at say the Sprint Center and start on a Saturday with a mid week game on tues or weds and the final series on the next saturday. No flying involved and you finish the thing in a week. Fans could easily drive for the game and spend the day/night or watch all the games or go home until the next set of games.
                Unless the locals who are casual college basketball fans turned out, I think overall attendance might be somewhat better if it moved.

Comment

I think the Sprint would sell out every game. I would pay to watch the other games and we know WSU Creighton and KSU fans would travel well. The only tough game would be the mod week games. Fans of those teams that lived in the KC area would probably fill out what the ones willing to drive didn't buy. To be more clear it would involve 3 games/day over three separate days.

Comment

I like the WSU, Creighton, Iowa State, and Nebraska option because it incorporates four different conferences.

Just messing around, I would utilize WSU, Oklahoma State, Colorado, and New Mexico.

Night 1 Wednesday (Denver):
                    WSU vs. Colorado (WSU leads 1-0)
                    NM vs. OK St. (NM leads 3-1)

Night 2 Friday (Oklahoma City):
                    WSU vs. NM (NM leads 1-0)
                    OK St. vs. Colorado (OK St. leads 35-17)

Afternoon 3 Sunday (Wichita):
                    WSU vs. OK St. (OK St. leads 4-2)
                    NM vs. Colorado (NM leads 3-2)

But this will never happen.

Comment

Certainly creative, and there's no reason something like this couldn't be done with other schools. It definitely seems pretty ambitious, because it's hardly clear that Florida and especially Texas, and even to some extent Michigan State, are such national names that they'll be a big draw in any of the three cities chosen, particularly Chicago and LA.

Even a doubleheader like the showcase at Jerryworld from which WSU ended up excluded because no one had the nerve to play them would be a positive step, and KC would certainly work for that. But a regional event with teams like WSU, K-State, Missouri, and Creighton (four different leagues!) should also be a big hit in KC -- maybe even a four-team tournament including a third-place game, played Thursday and Saturday nights or Friday and Sunday.

Comment

I have a feeling we're gonna see a lot of exciting opponents on the schedule the next few years.

Comment

Working...
                        X