Arm Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Bars

I'm hoping ShockRef or others can bring me up to date on the use of arm bars, either on offense or defense. I thought I had read that the rules had changed on how arm bars can be used. Is this accurate? If so, or even if not, what are the actual rules on arm bars?
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

From the NCAA rulebook:

g. A defensive post player may use a forearm on the back of an offensive post player who does not have the ball as long as equal pressure is being applied and there is no dislodging by either player. When the offensive player gains possession of the ball, the defensive post player must remove hands and forearms from the offensive player or a personal foul shall be charged.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Thanks, TMH. I'm hoping ShockRef will add some real world interpretation to that, because I've seen arm bar use all over the map this year.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

All I know is that during the Non-Con portion of hte schedule, aside from a game or two, it was called very strictly. They called the game like they had told us they would call it this year. Increased freedom of movement for the offensive player and absolutely no hands or forearms on ball carriers.

During the conference portion, the refs have been more lenient in general I think, but can still call a game tight, but also call it really loose at times. I know certain conferences such as the B1G have reverted back to a lot of physical play. The idea behind the rule was to have a more consistent call across conferences, so I wonder how they plan to call the NCAA tournament. Tight like Non-Con, or more lenient like the middle-end of the season?

I've noticed recently with Ron that he'll just straight up put his hand out on a player with the ball. Saw it last game a few times. Makes me wonder if the officials have chatted with the coaches to let them know they're not going to call the arm-bar and touching of a ball handler as strictly prior to a game?
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

The inconsistency has definitely been frustrating to watch. My guess is that the referees will err on the side of physicality (calling the game loosely) in the Tournament to avoid controversy, since, as @_kai_: mentioned, this has been the trend in recent months for the B1G, PAC-12 and Big 12. It has looked to me like the ACC and SEC are maintaining slightly tighter whistles, but they are still letting a lot more go than they did back in November/December. There would be a lot of blowback if things suddenly revert to November-level enforcement at the Dance and Michigan State/Wisconsin/Arizona/Kansas all have about four guys foul out in the first half. I'm exaggerating of course, but not that much.

Whether the mandate to loosen the calls came from league supervisors or whether the refs themselves reverted back to the old methods without receiving much blowback, somebody has looked extremely wimpy this year by not sticking to their guns.

Comment

I think if they go strictly with the rule in the tournament, it will affect us in a positive matter.

Comment

Band,
              The quote from the rule book is exactly how we are calling it.

The arm bar, without dislodging, is ok when they don't have the ball. When they do, arm bar off as well as two hands.

Two hands is an automatic, every time. One hand, with a bent elbow is ok, as long as it does not affect the following:
              1) Rhythm 2) Speed 3) Balance or 4) Quickness. Once it affects any of these, it is a foul

Now... its no big secret that things have loosened up a bit since the start of the season, especially at the D-1 level.
              But we are still calling it basically the same in regards to the POE and freedom of movement.

Hope this helps...

That is all.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                The inconsistency has definitely been frustrating to watch. My guess is that the referees will err on the side of physicality (calling the game loosely) in the Tournament to avoid controversy, since, as @_kai_: mentioned, this has been the trend in recent months for the B1G, PAC-12 and Big 12. It has looked to me like the ACC and SEC are maintaining slightly tighter whistles, but they are still letting a lot more go than they did back in November/December. There would be a lot of blowback if things suddenly revert to November-level enforcement at the Dance and Michigan State/Wisconsin/Arizona/Kansas all have about four guys foul out in the first half. I'm exaggerating of course, but not that much.

Whether the mandate to loosen the calls came from league supervisors or whether the refs themselves reverted back to the old methods without receiving much blowback, somebody has looked extremely wimpy this year by not sticking to their guns.
                The tournament seems to have beeen called much tighter than conference play for years now.
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Did anyone see "Hollywood Higgins" last night? He was really not that bad except for the loose ball foul he called on Gipson? last night. But I thought he pretty much stayed out of the spotlight for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                  X