No announcement yet.

**WSU @ Indiana State Game Thread**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball is commonly called a game of runs or spurts. Last night certainly was an example of that as both teams gave and received punches and counterpunches. To Summarize

WSU.....11-3.....+8.....11-3
    INS........0-6.......-6.....11-9
    WSU.....20-13...+7......31-22
    INS.......5-13.....-8..... 36-35

WSU1....14-4...+10.....50-39
    INS........8-17....-9......58-56
    WSU.......7-2....+5......65-58
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 6, 2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Hi guys! Just getting around to congratulating you on a great win last night. As the guy sitting next to me said, it was like two prizefighters just punching each other over and over. It was a great game to watch in person. I've never left a game after a loss feeling so good. Not because we just hung around, but because anyone watching the game saw two really good teams (figuratively) beating the tar out of each other. Unfortunately for me, one team was just a bit better than the other one. What impresses me the most, I think, about the Shockers, is their ability to absorb a punch, and then punch back. We'd hit a big three to close the gap, and virtually every time, someone on your team very calmly answered. Impressive as hell.

Just to clear up a few misnomers. While the atmosphere was gobs of fun, it wasn't the best ever in Hulman Center . (These kids just don't know). But, you do have to go back about 35 years to get a better environment.

And yes, the Shockers did help us draw a crowd, but I don't think it's totally fair to say that our crowd was there to see the visiting team. That happens when IU comes to town, and 1/3 of the arena is wearing red. What your team did for ISU last night is to stir a little civic pride in Terre Haute, and reignite a feeling amongst townies and students that, yes, it is ok for us to root for the home team. I was impressed by our crowd.

That game was the perfect example of why I love college basketball. You just don't get that kind of experience watching the NBA. I live in an NBA town, and our team is pretty good. But the atmosphere and energy cannot come close to what we got to experience last night. (And what you guys get to experience at just about every game)

Your team is the class of the MVC. But I am starting to think that if we can hold on to Lansing, we could very well replace Creighton at the top with you. And that would be fine with me. Two programs led by classy, high quality coaches, with role model worthy student athletes competing for championships every year. Sounds pretty damn good to me!!!

You all might as well win out, and then we'll do this all again in St. Louis!!!

Best of luck to your Shockers!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
        Hi guys! Just getting around to congratulating you on a great win last night. As the guy sitting next to me said, it was like two prizefighters just punching each other over and over. It was a great game to watch in person. I've never left a game after a loss feeling so good. Not because we just hung around, but because anyone watching the game saw two really good teams (figuratively) beating the tar out of each other. Unfortunately for me, one team was just a bit better than the other one. What impresses me the most, I think, about the Shockers, is their ability to absorb a punch, and then punch back. We'd hit a big three to close the gap, and virtually every time, someone on your team very calmly answered. Impressive as hell.

Just to clear up a few misnomers. While the atmosphere was gobs of fun, it wasn't the best ever in Hulman Center . (These kids just don't know). But, you do have to go back about 35 years to get a better environment.

And yes, the Shockers did help us draw a crowd, but I don't think it's totally fair to say that our crowd was there to see the visiting team. That happens when IU comes to town, and 1/3 of the arena is wearing red. What your team did for ISU last night is to stir a little civic pride in Terre Haute, and reignite a feeling amongst townies and students that, yes, it is ok for us to root for the home team. I was impressed by our crowd.

That game was the perfect example of why I love college basketball. You just don't get that kind of experience watching the NBA. I live in an NBA town, and our team is pretty good. But the atmosphere and energy cannot come close to what we got to experience last night. (And what you guys get to experience at just about every game)

Your team is the class of the MVC. But I am starting to think that if we can hold on to Lansing, we could very well replace Creighton at the top with you. And that would be fine with me. Two programs led by classy, high quality coaches, with role model worthy student athletes competing for championships every year. Sounds pretty damn good to me!!!

You all might as well win out, and then we'll do this all again in St. Louis!!!

Best of luck to your Shockers!!!
        Great post. Is Lansing being tossed around as a candidate somewhere already? What does he make?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Great post. Is Lansing being tossed around as a candidate somewhere already? What does he make?
          Problematically for InSU, his salary is not too different from what Jodi Adams makes for coaching the WSU women, if I recall correctly.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Haven't heard of Lansing's name connected to any openings, but if we somehow make the Dance, his name will start getting thrown around. One thing in our favor, his wife is the Senior Women's Administrator in our athletic department.

I think Greg's total package is somewhere between $300,000 - $350,000. He'll probably be due a raise if he can coax a few NCAA or NIT wins out of this team.

Comment

Haven't heard of Lansing's name connected to any openings, but if we somehow make the Dance, his name will start getting thrown around. One thing in our favor, his wife is the Senior Women's Administrator in our athletic department.

I think Greg's total package is somewhere between $300,000 - $350,000. He'll probably be due a raise if he can coax a few NCAA or NIT wins out of this team.
              Ok, that is higher than the number I had seen in the past, which makes me feel a little better about InSU's commitment to their program.

That still isn't a number that would make it easy for Lansing to stay if he got a serious offer elsewhere. Do you have any clue about how much Indiana State could realistically pay if he has some NCAA success and starts garnering attention?
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                Ok, that is higher than the number I had seen in the past, which makes me feel a little better about InSU's commitment to their program.

That still isn't a number that would make it easy for Lansing to stay if he got a serious offer elsewhere. Do you have any clue about how much Indiana State could realistically pay if he has some NCAA success and starts garnering attention?
                If it came down to it, with the President we have now, and with the great AD we've got, I think (think being the operative word) we could get him to $500,000-$600,000 in total compensation. I don't think you'll ever see his base salary get that high, but they'll structure media, shoe contracts, speaking fees, etc. so as to try their best to keep him. Now, if a Big Ten school comes calling, waving $2M a year at him, we've got no chance. But, like I said, his wife has a serious career going on at ISU, and with no children, that could be a big plus in our favor.

Comment

• The coaches I think have the most potential for being reasonably long-term in the Valley are Marshall, Jacobsen, and Lansing. Jacobsen and Lansing look like they're going to be well-established and pretty well rooted before they get the kind of resume that would attract an offer from a power conference team.

Oddly enough, WSU's dominnce could produce more coaching stability in the Valley. Valley coaches use the Valley as a stepping stone when they either win the Valley or make a little run in the NCAA's.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

He's due a raise just for being able to fog up a mirror. You have yourselves a hell of a coach and I hope you can keep him around for awhile. Pay the man his money.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                      We have been terrible at shot clock violations this year
                      According to Eagle today, FVV knew what he was doing on that shot clock violation:

The best of a bad situation — With under three minutes remaining in Wednesday’s game at Indiana State, the Sycamores called up a stretch of fierce defense and cut WSU’s lead to 58-55.
                      WSU’s chance to answer ended with guard Fred VanVleet swarmed over near the foul line as the shot clock ticked away. He held the ball as the crowd roared, giving Indiana State possession with 2:47 to play.
                      VanVleet said he knew what he was doing. Instead of a risky pass or a difficult shot, he took what he considered to be the safe option.
                      “I let the buzzer go off, so they couldn’t get a chance to run,” he said. “That was better than throwing up a crazy shot or starting the fast break for them.”
                      Indiana State took the ball out of bounds and had to work against WSU’s defense, organized and composed, instead of getting a numbers advantage after a steal or a long rebound. Darius Carter blocked a shot by Indiana State’s Justin Gant and the Shockers survived that exchange with no damage.
                      http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/09/3277210/final-four-trips-value-goes-beyond.html

Read more here:
                      http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/09/3277210/final-four-trips-value-goes-beyond.html#storylink=cpy

Comment

• Originally posted by chicagoshocker View Post
                        According to Eagle today, FVV knew what he was doing on that shot clock violation:

The best of a bad situation — With under three minutes remaining in Wednesday’s game at Indiana State, the Sycamores called up a stretch of fierce defense and cut WSU’s lead to 58-55.
                        WSU’s chance to answer ended with guard Fred VanVleet swarmed over near the foul line as the shot clock ticked away. He held the ball as the crowd roared, giving Indiana State possession with 2:47 to play.
                        VanVleet said he knew what he was doing. Instead of a risky pass or a difficult shot, he took what he considered to be the safe option.
                        “I let the buzzer go off, so they couldn’t get a chance to run,” he said. “That was better than throwing up a crazy shot or starting the fast break for them.”
                        Indiana State took the ball out of bounds and had to work against WSU’s defense, organized and composed, instead of getting a numbers advantage after a steal or a long rebound. Darius Carter blocked a shot by Indiana State’s Justin Gant and the Shockers survived that exchange with no damage.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/09/327...#storylink=cpy
                        And that's why he's one of the better PGs in the country. He can determine in game situations which choice to make when all choices are bad.

Comment

• May I never doubt FVV again

Comment

Working...
                          X