What this season means to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What this season means to me

So this is pretty long for an internet forum post. I'm a Shocker fan in Houston, Texas, and the following means very little to the people here. Hopefully, my fellow WSU fans will appreciate it.

As a sports fan, it’s funny how much things can change, and how much they can stay the same. I remember my formative days in Derby in the late 90’s, watching Cincinnati Reds baseball and Miami Dolphins football with my dad. I’ve loved sports for as long as I can remember - often too much, to the detriment of my studies and my responsibilities. This season of Wichita State basketball means a lot to all of us, but for me, it provides an opportunity to reflect on then and now like few other aspects of my life.
    I was introduced to Shocker basketball by older members of my family who had watched them in the 80’s. To them, the glory days were long over, and there was no reason to follow along with the product of the 90’s. I was about 10 when Maurice Evans transferred, and the laughingstock narrative seemed to be confirmed. Then I moved to Houston, and started following the Shockers more closely, I suppose as an effort to hold on to my roots. When the time came to visit home for Christmas and New Year’s, I listened to Shocker games featuring guys like Terrell Benton and C.C. McFall. I never saw them play, but I listened intently whenever I could. I started learning about Mark Turgeon and his plan to rebuild the program, and started my transition to all-out fandom.
    By the time Randy Burns and Jamar Howard were shaping the future of Shocker basketball, I discovered a way to listen to games on the internet. I kept track of individual scoring with a pen and printer paper. The NCAA tournament seemed like the holy grail of sports, and an impossible dream. I can still see the glossed-over look on my friends faces in Houston when I tried to steer a sports conversation towards WSU. Why not? To them, I might as well have been singing the praises of some Division II school in Idaho.
    In 2006, I experienced all the ups-and-downs of college basketball in a three-week span. After years of promising my friends and family that the Shockers were ready to return to glory, they actually made the Tournament - for the first time in my lifetime, notwithstanding 1988, when I was six months old. I watched the second-round game against Tennessee like it was the Super Bowl - or a game that would determine life or death. I don’t remember every play now, but I remember the apprehension, hope, fear, and eventually, unadulterated joy. The Sweet 16 loss to George Mason was like a punch in the gut, and almost made me lose hope. After all, the next season, the Shockers totally collapsed, didn’t even make the NIT, and lost Mark Turgeon to Texas A&M.
    And so, life returned to normal, and the Shockers to obscurity. While they struggled their first couple of years under Gregg Marshall, I struggled on my own for the first time. I was about 20 - with only a high school diploma, $250 in the bank, and a gambling problem. The glossed-over look returned to my friends faces, and my predictions of future Shocker success seemed more-and-more wishful thinking. Even when they won the NIT in 2011, and secured a 5-seed in the NCAA Tournament in 2012, a tough loss to VCU left me thinking that the team had taken me as far as it could.
    The 2012-2013 season gave me sweet vindication. The high rankings and deep tournament run I’d been promising everyone since the days of Terrell Benton had finally arrived. Honestly, I didn’t even know how to react. In pro sports, even if your team is abysmal, you have a shot. Watching a team go from outside the top-300 nationally to the Final Four is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in sports and maybe in life.
    That brings me to the point - the more things have changed, the more they’ve stayed the same. The stakes are different now, but I still live and die with every inbound, every shot, every pass. I still hope for a championship, though a lot more realistically now. I’m 26 now, married to a beautiful girl. We’ve recently purchased a house in West Houston and had a daughter, who is approaching her 2nd birthday. My life has changed so much over the last 15 years, I’m not sure if I would recognize myself at certain points in the timeline. But through all that’s changed, WSU basketball has been a constant for me. It’s taken me through the ups-and-downs, shown me to appreciate what I have, and how to be hopeful for the future, even when things are at their darkest.

What a wonderful post redsfan9988!!! To one Shocker fan to another...thanks for sharing your story!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I guess my story would go in similar fashion, although I started at WSU just after MT got there and graduated the S16 year. So I was able to see the transformation first hand. Best memories of that time have to be the Matt B buzzer beater vs CU and the win over Tennessee. Worst memories have to be the home lost to UNI (Jacobson buzzer beater) and the Vandy loss (.09 sec). I have not been able to process what this season means to me at the moment, as the story is still being written...
      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
        I guess my story would go in similar fashion, although I started at WSU just after MT got there and graduated the S16 year. So I was able to see the transformation first hand. Best memories of that time have to be the Matt B buzzer beater vs CU and the win over Tennessee. Worst memories have to be the home lost to UNI (Jacobson buzzer beater) and the Vandy loss (.09 sec). I have not been able to process what this season means to me at the moment, as the story is still being written...
        One of the NIT years, maybe the first one under Turgeon... We played... Seton Hall, I think? We were down 3 with a few secends left and they fouled Randy Burns. he made the first, missed the 2nd on purpose and Jamar Howard tipped it in for the tie... In the midst of the celebration, Seton Hall inbounded with a football pass for an easy layup as time expired... That was tough.

Comment

Originally posted by redsfan9988 View Post
          One of the NIT years, maybe the first one under Turgeon... We played... Seton Hall, I think? We were down 3 with a few secends left and they fouled Randy Burns. he made the first, missed the 2nd on purpose and Jamar Howard tipped it in for the tie... In the midst of the celebration, Seton Hall inbounded with a football pass for an easy layup as time expired... That was tough.
          Actually that was Vanderbilt and Sean Ogirri missed the free throw on purpose.

March 21, 2005 - NIT Second Round - Jason Holwerda to Corey Smith for the game winner in 0.7 seconds (ESPN SportsCenter Coverage)

Comment

that was Vanderbilt. Never forget.

Comment

March 21, 2005 - NIT Second Round - Jason Holwerda to Corey Smith for the game winner in 0.7 seconds (ESPN SportsCenter Coverage)

oh yeah vandy...

Comment

Sorry to derail the thread with Vandy. Let's make the rest of the world and forget about Vandy.
                “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Ok, damn. I just tried and failed. WTF kind of defense was that!! OMFG! I still can't believe that.
                  -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Ok, damn. I just tried and failed. WTF kind of defense was that!! OMFG! I still can't believe that.
                    I believe the the technical term is 1st Degree Brain Cramp sometime also called a FUBAR. Probably why @redfans9988 came up with Seton Hall. A natural mental block considering we kicked Seton Hall's ass 86-66 in the NCAA the following year in route to the Sweet 16.

Comment

Ok, i just noticed JH4P has a lot of WSU "snuff films" on his youtube channel. I would not post those vids man!!! Think about the children. You have 2 of my worst memories on your youtube channel!!! http://www.youtube.com/user/JH4P?feature=watch
                      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

JH4P...seriously? Why do you have a video of that UNI ending from 2005? It is one of those sports moments that I absolutely refuse to watch the replay. So painful!
                        78-65

Comment

Because JH4P is a realist...
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by redsfan9988 View Post
                            thanks for the story and good to see another fellow Houstonian on the board. I also live on the west side.

Comment

Ok, i just noticed JH4P has a lot of WSU "snuff films" on his youtube channel. I would not post those vids man!!! Think about the children. You have 2 of my worst memories on your youtube channel!!! http://www.youtube.com/user/JH4P?feature=watch
                              Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                              JH4P...seriously? Why do you have a video of that UNI ending from 2005? It is one of those sports moments that I absolutely refuse to watch the replay. So painful!
                              Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              Because JH4P is a realist...
                              The UNI video was at the request of a UNI fan who wanted to be able to see it and knew I had it.

The Vanderbilt video is the final 2 minutes, not just the final play. I drove to that game, sat with the player's families, went bonkers when Jamar got the putback for the tie, and stood in disbelief as the 0.7 second fiasco happened. FYI, Vandy fans were incredibly gracious to our group of WSU fans. I had multiple students who, after rushing the court, came up to us to congratulate us on an epic game and wish us safe travels home. Not one single person approached me with any sort of taunting comment. It may have been a horrible way to lose, but that whole game experience is still a fun memory in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X